• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Polish flags tossed on the Orange flames of hate.

theloner

Seems like the Poles have now been added to the list that 11th night Orange revellers seem to dislike. The Polish Association Northern Ireland have called for some sort of action to be taken after the national flag of Poland was tossed on bonfires across NI to commemorate of the Battle of the Boyne. I know loyalists aren't known for their tact and intelligence but there are several angles I am taking this from. The first question is why? I have my own opinions as to why but here are a few reasons why the Poles have offended the loyal orange brethren.

Pope John Paul 2nd
Poles are immigrants in Ireland (Loyalists have form on this one).
Arthur Boruc
Poles elected Anna Grodzka as the first ever transsexual MP in European history
Most Poles are cafliks
Poland are ranked higher in the FIFA rankings that NI
They come over here and steal our women and take our jobs

Maciek Bator of the association said: "The Polish community embrace and respect all traditions here in Northern Ireland but we find this behaviour totally appalling and offensive''. Totally true and I fully understand as you want to see what they do to the Irish tricolour.

Is it not time that flags are respected and above violent actions, due to the sensitivity that it brings with it. A spokesperson for Belfast City Council said: "We are aware of the issue and it will be raised as part of our regular evaluation of the bonfire programme." So they seem to be evaluating the issue because Polish flags were flung on the flames of hate, can we see the same consistency for the annual desecration of the Irish tricolour? I remember loyalists wittingly tossed a sign on their bonfire poking fun at the suicide epidemic in Ardoyne, it read 'Up the Ardoyne bungee jumpers!'.

BBC News - Polish flags burned on bonfires across Belfast on 11 July
Loyalists condemned over Ardoyne suicides slogan | BreakingNews.ie

<Mod> This threas has been merged with "Should bonfires be banned?" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Numenorian

Have you ever lived on the ground ?

vinoboy

I think 5 of your reasons as to why they burn the Polish flag are not valid. the fight between Polish soccer thugs and NI fans several years ago might be more valid along with the RC angle and immigrant situatio.
I find the Poles largely to be hard working folk compared to some other immigrant groups ,they are more aligned to RC's than any other group and perhaps this is reason.
Not always wise to over analyse the actions of people who do these things. See one of your reports was 2005 , another internet trawler dredging up old news to justify their own innate bigotry. Feeling lonely ,Loner , join a self help group .

C

Castle Ray

Putting a Polish flag on a bonfire is just daft. But then so is this OP with a load of rubbish posted as fact for why it was put on the bonfire, combined with a link to a completely irrelevant news article from 7 years ago.

Frosty1

Don't care, they can do whatever they like with those bonfires. But it doesn't annoy me at all they are only making fools of themselves. You people are being silly by giving them the attention that they want they are trying to wind you up.

theloner

Have you ever lived on the ground ?
Nice first post. Welcome to p.ie. Things can only get better from here.

Putting a Polish flag on a bonfire is just daft. But then so is this OP with a load of rubbish posted as fact for why it was put on the bonfire, combined with a link to a completely irrelevant news article from 7 years ago.
First point, you don't do humour well, do you? Also, I don't recall claiming the reasons as fact.

Second point, it is relevant, it highlights the random, senstive aspects of society that 11th night revellers see fit to burn on a bonfire in the name of culture. It is very sad, they have even managed to alienate over 30,000 Polish people living and working here, along with families of suicide victims, and quite a few Irish nationals with whom they share this land...

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

I'd say the principle reason is that they are immigrants. Loyalists (not all of them, but the majority) are brain dead.

I remember last year they beat the living shít out of some Eastern Europeans for being Eastern European.

PaddyO'Neill

It's about time someone was brought in from outside to have a good look at the 11th/12th July and all that surrounds it. For too long these people have done as they pleased. Fair play to the Polish Association, Sinn Fein and the SDLP could take a leaf out of their book regarding the burning of the Irish flag.

Clanrickard

What an embarrassment to any normal protestant.
These people are Protestant in name only. It is a badge for them so they can fit in. Such thuggery goes against the Protestant ethic.

Fra_south_Derry

It's about time someone was brought in from outside to have a good look at the 11th/12th July and all that surrounds it. For too long these people have done as they pleased. Fair play to the Polish Association, Sinn Fein and the SDLP could take a leaf out of their book regarding the burning of the Irish flag.
Gaa flags, Papal flags, election posters (even the workers party posters got burnt), a baby coffin, hunger striker memorials, bloody sunday memorials and even taking the piss out of suicide victims.

How is this stuff tolerated? Surely theres got to be some wise heads in the community groups who'd take these things down. Even to stop their own communities being protrayed as brain dead bigots.

former wesleyan

These people are Protestant in name only. It is a badge for them so they can fit in. Such thuggery goes against the Protestant ethic.
A paramilitary was once quoted as saying " let's keep religion out of protestantism ". Don't ask me for a link, but it was in the IT.

former wesleyan

PaddyO'Neill

Gaa flags, Papal flags, election posters (even the workers party posters got burnt), a baby coffin, hunger striker memorials, bloody sunday memorials and even taking the piss out of suicide victims.

How is this stuff tolerated? Surely theres got to be some wise heads in the community groups who'd take these things down. Even to stop their own communities being protrayed as brain dead bigots.
Not only is it tolerated but they get grants for it I'm sure. Belfast City Council has a bonfire working group or such like :roll:

Schomberg

Once again an entire organisation (that has nothing to do with 11th night bonfires) and a community are whitewashed with the actions of a tiny minority.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies