• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Polish land for Polish farmers.

Twin Towers

Polish farmers are blocking the centre of Polish cities to protest against Western European 'foreigners' buying 'their' land.

Polish land prices are only a fraction of those in Western Europe.

How do members of politics.ie see these protests?

Polish land for Polish farmers | The Szczecinian
Perfectly reasonable protest. I don't know what the "their" land bit is about, it is their land.

Fritzbox

They have some nice tractors in Poland - but then again I think that's a speciality of eastern Block agricultural engineering....

[video=youtube;tTDn604ipYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTDn604ipYY[/video]

ruserious

Membership of the EU has benefits and drawbacks. They can't expect only benefits (eg free movement of people) without the EU biting them somewhere else.

''It's all about the Farmers!!'' (Kenny, P).

eoghanacht

Are they being forced to sell 'their' land?

Isn't the right to own property a fundamental part of any democratic state?

b.a. baracus

Bit cheeky considering free movement of people means about 1 million (actually probably much much more when I think about it) of their citizens have moved to EU states in the past 8 years. Those 1 million people have as much right to purchase land in other EU states as people from those countries do. You can't hunt with the hounds and run with the fox at the same time.

Twin Towers

Does that mean that Irish people can't buy it? No-one is seizing land from them. Do Irish jobs belong to Irish people?
How many Irish people have bought Polish land. Not many, if any. It's mostly Krauts buying up what Poles can't afford and pricing Poles out of the market.

Twin Towers

Bit cheeky considering free movement of people means about 1 million of their citizens have moved to EU states in the past 8 years. Those 1 million people have as much right to purchase land in other EU states as people from those countries do. You can't hunt with the hounds and run with the fox at the same time.
If Poles can't afford land in Poland they'll hardly afford it in Germany or Holland. The EU is one way traffic, the rich eating the poor.

Truth.ie

Tell them they're nuts.
They should convert their land to zoned building areas, and get rich selling land to each other.

Fool-proof.

Fritzbox

How many Irish people have bought Polish land. Not many, if any. It's mostly Krauts buying up what Poles can't afford and pricing Poles out of the market.
Last night I was talking to a native of Görlitz, a German city right on the Polish border. He said the same border barely exist anymore - Germans and Poles come and go as they please.
He also kept referring to the Polish city of 'Breslau'...

drummed

They have some nice tractors in Poland - but then again I think that's a speciality of eastern Block agricultural engineering....

[video=youtube;tTDn604ipYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTDn604ipYY[/video]

Full marks to this guy. If he needs a job next summer i can put him drawing silage.

b.a. baracus

If Poles can't afford land in Poland they'll hardly afford it in Germany or Holland. The EU is one way traffic, the rich eating the poor.
Well the EU has given millions of its citizens work opportunities in Germany, Britain and here.

Many Poles abroad are purchasing land and property in Poland thus driving the price up.

Poland knew what it was getting into joining the EU. It was not forced to join.

Twin Towers

Well the EU has given millions of its citizens work opportunities in Germany, Britain and here.

Many Poles abroad are purchasing land and property in Poland thus driving the price up.

Poland knew what it was getting into joining the EU. It was not forced to join.
Did we know membership was going to make us the worlds most indebted nation. We're we told that? Did we buy into that? Sure as hell it's not going to work out any better for the Poles, the "work opportunities" is losing them their best and brightest.

Jack White

Last night I was talking to a native of Görlitz, a German city right on the Polish border. He said the same border barely exist anymore - Germans and Poles come and go as they please.
The cheeky bastards, they'd love to get Wroclaw back. Beautiful city.

The argument that ''the Poles'' cannot have it both ways, and cannot be ''running with the hare and hunting with the hound'' simply doesn't stand up.

Whatever the political elite in Poland are up to vis a vis increasing integration of Poland into the EU, doesn't mean for one second that their interests are at one with the ordinary Polish people who are closest to the land.

The opposite is almost certainly true, as we all ought to know by now.

The German government supports him in the name of the city...........

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Full marks to this guy. If he needs a job next summer i can put him drawing silage.
You might have experience. There is plenty of farmers in Kilkenny employing labour from the east as well you should know.

I certainly know.

Maybe like Cato you are doing the foreign lads a "favour" by giving them work.

drummed

You might have experience. There is plenty of farmers in Kilkenny employing labour from the east as well you should know.

I certainly know.

Maybe like Cato you are doing the foreign lads a "favour" by giving them work.

Yep. Met a Pole about a month ago on a large dairy farm. Could'nt be happier there.

The farmer was finding it kinda tough to get locals who wanted to milk at 6.00am on a Sunday morning in January.
The Pole does it with total dedication and good humour regardless of the day.
The pay is pretty good but its not for everybody.
He's planning to learn all he can, save his money and go back to Poland in few years to run his own farm.

Good luck to him.