Political Journalism

Xenophile

New member
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
2
I listened to the Last Word presented today, by Matt Cooper, in an interview with Dr. Joe Barry on the proposed legislation in relation to Liquor Laws he allowed the IMO spokesman to rant on about what he was opposed to in the legislation. Matt Cooper did not even ask once about what the IMO might favour, propose, recommend, suggest etc.

Mr. Cooper why did you not put the simple question, maybe this is a regular fault of the broadcaster? Bye the way I favour the introduction of Café Bars, maybe the Minister should grasp the nettle and force a showdown with Fianna Fail backbenchers on this and other issues
 


Ernie

Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
9
The duty of the political journalist is to separate the wheat from the chaff; and print the chaff. :lol:
 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
Xenophile said:
I listened to the Last Word presented today, by Matt Cooper, in an interview with Dr. Joe Barry on the proposed legislation in relation to Liquor Laws he allowed the IMO spokesman to rant on about what he was opposed to in the legislation. Matt Cooper did not even ask once about what the IMO might favour, propose, recommend, suggest etc.

Mr. Cooper why did you not put the simple question, maybe this is a regular fault of the broadcaster? Bye the way I favour the introduction of Café Bars, maybe the Minister should grasp the nettle and force a showdown with Fianna Fail backbenchers on this and other issues
Political journalism (in Ireland at least) seems to require asking tough questions agressively of a guest. I didn't hear the interview, but at this stage, most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question. In this case, he could say what they were opposed to and without a break, go on to say what they thought would present a better alternative.
 

XRoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
381
Pidge said:
...most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question.
There is only one who is never defeated in such a fashion. Unfortunately he belongs to the beeb.

 

Pidge

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
427
XRoot said:
Pidge said:
...most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question.
There is only one who is never defeated in such a fashion. Unfortunately he belongs to the beeb.

What a guy! For anyone who missed the Galloway interview he did - here's the link. Bad journalism, but great stuff all the same!

Even with Paxman, most people answer the question and move onto what they see as an alternative
 

Helen of Troy

Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
12
Did anyone see the last Paxman interview with Martin McGuinness? I thought it was quite offensive, but no complaints!!! :(

Helen of Troy
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
Helen of Troy said:
Did anyone see the last Paxman interview with Martin McGuinness? I thought it was quite offensive, but no complaints!!!
Yeah, saw that one. Contrast it with the fawning interview style of one of RTE's most pathetic excuses for "journalists" - Gerald Barry. His interviews basically consist of him looking lovingly into the Shinners' eyes for 15 mins like a dewy-eyed spring bride.
The Auschwitz interview with Martin McGuinness is one hilarious example
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
Xenophile said:
Mr. Cooper why did you not put the simple question, maybe this is a regular fault of the broadcaster?
In fairness to Cooper, he has come on a lot. He can occasionally savage a guest (like that hick Italian lawyer, representing Gilligan - from last night) but he still can sound like a lightweight, with endless cynical throwaway remarks and whinges.

The format of the programme still beats 5/7 Live hands down. I like George Hook.......but some of the slots can be very lengthy, and boring for stressed drive-time listeners like my good self.
It was interesting to note that over 80% of Hook's listeners are men - so said the JNLR last week
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
Pidge said:
XRoot said:
Pidge said:
...most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question.
There is only one who is never defeated in such a fashion. Unfortunately he belongs to the beeb.

What a guy! For anyone who missed the Galloway interview he did - here's the link. Bad journalism, but great stuff all the same!
I only saw a bit of that interview before, but to see it in full was class. Galloway gave him his answer! Paxman is extremely arrogant, but that is his niche. I wouldn't pay any attention to what he says, he's just going for ratings. I didn't see the Martin McGuinness one, but let's not forget he tore shreds off Ken Maginnis too.
 

smiffy

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
1,279
Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
XRoot said:
There is only one who is never defeated in such a fashion. Unfortunately he belongs to the beeb.
A similar ambush of a politician was on Newstalk some morning last week where Ger Gilroy (standing in for Dunphy) and Vincent Browne ganged up on Tom Morrissey about the Colombia Three and make him look more than a little bit like a tossmonkey.

It made me LOL, and I don't usually LOL at that time in the morning.
 

shiel

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
17,162
This is one of the earliest threads on journalism on p.ie.

Says it all really about the country being bankrupt under the noses of media but not a mention here of any such issues.
 

Cato

Moderator
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
20,400
This is one of the earliest threads on journalism on p.ie.

Says it all really about the country being bankrupt under the noses of media but not a mention here of any such issues.
 

Cato

Moderator
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
20,400

shiel

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
17,162
Just a bit of humour on a hot humid day while waiting to head home.
I know.

But is it not interesting that the debate on political journalism is so brief and has no reference to the dangers of the recklessness in public policy that was going on at the time of the Celtic tiger?

That recklessness bankrupted the country with the results we see around us.

Not a mention in this in this thread from that period.
 

shiel

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
17,162
I raised the absence of any discussion in the boom time threads on this forum on the the issues which were just about to cause the biggest calamity since independence for the ordinary people of this country.

The significance of that omission is missed or ignored.

The only reaction from posters now when being reminded of that fact is scoffing and denial.

This is the same forum, in which posters are blaming the people who are now dealing with the problems caused during the boom, for causing the problems in the first place.
 
Last edited:


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top