• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Political labels.

theObserver@hotmail.com

I've been trying to define the various political labels for my own benefit. Putting it here for feedback and corrections.

(Not sure where this belongs. I tired the political philosophy forum but I couldn't start a thread.)

Neo-conservative :-
-> Does not wish to return to an imaginary era of minimum government.
-> Looks to governments and social institutions to promote virtue and offset the effects of the free market.
-> May have liberal views of personal morality but rejects the idea that a state can be morally neutral.
-> Seeks to promote religion as a form of social cohesion.
-> Recognizes armed state intervention and coercive force is needed to topple regimes.
-> Supports globalization and free markets and democracy by force if necessary.
-> Christian view of history as a series of stages each better than the last.

Neo-Liberal :-
-> Wishes to return to an imaginary era of minimum government.
-> Most important condition of liberty is the free market.
-> Supports free market as agent of liberty and progress.
-> Believes free markets are the most productive and the most peaceful. War and conflicts will vanish if only markets become free.
-> One size fits all.
-> Individualist ethos of personal responsibility
-> Normally secular in outlook.
-> Economists with naive faith in their variant of reason.

Classical liberals :-
-> Believe all societies pass through defined stages of history leading to an open exchange market.
-> Understood and was weary of the costs of free markets and it's moral hazards.
-> Promoted a natural system of liberty derived from Christian thought; later replaced by secular thought.
-> Views the development of technology and the economy as primary; religion is secondary or unimportant.

Conservative :-
-> Defined itself against the Utopian schemes. Skeptical towards progress.
-> Politics is coping with human imperfections.
-> Seeks to promote religion as a form of social cohesion.
-> Strong support for tradition national institutions and culture.
-> Usually holds Utopian views of the past or an imagined golden age.
-> Emphasis is placed upon families and small government.

Mercurial

I don't identify with any of these positions, so you're missing at least one.

It's probably not helpful to run economic and social positions together under a single label either.

statsman

Pragmatist is missing.

Kev408

I don't like labelling anyone, especially myself. There was a time when I wouldn't have affiliated myself with any political party because I didn't fit every one of their beliefs/aspirations. I have since realised that it's ok to support a party without supporting everything that party stand for or aspire to. Anyway, I find labels a journalistic or 'spin' construction designed to denigrate those with whom we disagree. They're childish and almost never accurate inasmuch as they never fully describe a person.

storybud1

Labels mean nothing, Authoritarians have appealed to many a scumbag throughout history. Talent and ability mean everything. Gilmore for Taoiseach ? FFS, how sad a day that would be.

Popular Threads

Most Replies