Political leaders' pay in small advanced EU countries v Ireland

Odyessus

Guinness, whisky brands which are growing fast,Kerry Foods brands,tax shelter for global finance,global marketer for US high tech and pharma-not bad. But we need more indigeneous entrepreneurs who don't sell out too soon to big business.

I hope you don't think I'm being pedantic, but whisky is made in Scotland. In Ireland we make whiskey.

A far superior product in my opinion. ;)

patslatt

Unfair accusation on Sweden

More to the point, they were founded in the late 1800s/early 1900s, when Sweden was the 1st-3rd wealthiest country in the world. Since the 1920s, they have been drawing down on their capital and spending it on their welfare state, while they slip down the rankings.

Sweden's dirty little secret is that they only seem better than everyone else because they're spending down the early-20th century capital reserve they got to keep by co-operating with Nazi Germany.
As committed social democrats and like the Soviets,the Swedes realised the inevitability of war with German fascism and spent hugely on their armed forces all through the 1930s,unlike the UK and other appeasing governments. They strongly criticised fascist German human rights violations until WW2 broke out.

The readiness of Swedish armed forces probably prevented a German invasion. But had the Swedes cut off exports of iron ore,an essential war material,invasion would have happened.

Odyessus

As committed social democrats and like the Soviets,the Swedes realised the inevitability of war with German fascism and spent hugely on their armed forces all through the 1930s,unlike the UK and other appeasing governments. They strongly criticised fascist German human rights violations until WW2 broke out.

The readiness of Swedish armed forces probably prevented a German invasion. But had the Swedes cut off exports of iron ore,an essential war material,invasion would have happened.

...the Swedes realised the inevitability of war with German fascism...
Something which doesn't happen is not inevitable. In fact, it's evitable. The Germans did not attack Sweden because Sweden took care not to provoke them, notably, as you say, by continuing to export iron ore to Germany for weapons production.

I don't think Sweden is in any position to criticise anyone else for appeasement, although to be fair to them, I have never heard them make such criticisms themselves.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies