Politician of the Year 2016

ger12

That time of the year again, to reflect on the last twelve months and give fair dues to those bright stars. :)

I reckon there's four categories - MEP, Senator, Dáil opposition and Dáil government bench.

So, without further ado, my hat tip goes to ....... (Drum roll ...)

MEP - Lynn Boylan - she's carried out some excellebt work on media ownership in Ireland and kept the pressure up for the release of Ibrahim Halawa.
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/media-ownership-3044017-Oct2016/?amp=1?client=safari

Senator - oh my, seeing dicey Reilly and Ray Butler in there is painful. This Seanad doesn't inspire. However, there's one FF Senator who seems to have his head screwed on, has forged some impressive links in the US supporting Irish illegals over there and he didn't make a tit of himself when he spoke last week to Nicola Sturgeon (unlike many of his colleagues) - so hat tip to Mark Daly.
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/community/50000-undocumented-irish-in-the-us-will-not-be-home-for-christmas

Dáil opposition - Paul Murphy - not my cup a tea but I do acknowledge how effective he's been.

Dáil government - Pascal Donohoe - Leo and Simon should be nervous, he's right behind them, well able, performed well and Noonan likes him. Next FG leader? And a special mention to Heather Humphreys for not making a mess of the 1916 commerations ;)

That's my lot ... Post your hat tips, maybe give a reason ... Tis the season and all that shíte :lol:

Socratus O' Pericles

The two politicians of the year have to be Farage and Trump by any objective measure. Upsetting the media, the pollsters, the bookies , all the experts and indeed Socratus O' Pericles with their wins.petunia

Polybius

That time of the year again, to reflect on the last twelve months and give fair dues to those bright stars. :)

I reckon there's four categories - MEP, Senator, Dáil opposition and Dáil government bench.

So, without further ado, my hat tip goes to ....... (Drum roll ...)

MEP - Lynn Boylan - she's carried out some excellebt work on media ownership in Ireland and kept the pressure up for the release of Ibrahim Halawa.
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/media-ownership-3044017-Oct2016/?amp=1?client=safari

Senator - oh my, seeing dicey Reilly and Ray Butler in there is painful. This Seanad doesn't inspire. However, there's one FF Senator who seems to have his head screwed on, has forged some impressive links in the US supporting Irish illegals over there and he didn't make a tit of himself when he spoke last week to Nicola Sturgeon (unlike many of his colleagues) - so hat tip to Mark Daly.
50,000 undocumented Irish in the US will not be home for Christmas | IrishCentral.com

Dáil opposition - Paul Murphy - not my cup a tea but I do acknowledge how effective he's been.

Dáil government - Pascal Donohoe - Leo and Simon should be nervous, he's right behind them, well able, performed well and Noonan likes him. Next FG leader? And a special mention to Heather Humphreys for not making a mess of the 1916 commerations ;)

That's my lot ... Post your hat tips, maybe give a reason ... Tis the season and all that shíte :lol:
Lynn Boylan has indeed put a lot of work into campaigning on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood fascists and Paul Murpy has proved himself to be very effective at whipping up mobs to falsely imprison a 67 year old woman. The government deserve a lot of credit for creating a housing shortage so that the rents for their landlord pals are now sky high and adults working full time now have to share bedrooms with strangers.

gleeful

Teresa May - for seeming like the only adult in the room post Brexit until we all realised she is just 3 kids wearing a trench coat.

In Ireland - Enda for becoming the first non-FF taoiseach to get reelected (sort of)

sic transit

The two politicians of the year have to be Farage and Trump by any objective measure. Upsetting the media, the pollsters, the bookies , all the experts and indeed Socratus O' Pericles with their wins.petunia
I would put Johnson in on that basis. Without him Brexit would have failed.

HarshBuzz

Richard Bruton. Government go-to man for troublesome situations.

Or Danny Healy-Rea, for effectively discrediting those liberal elitist climate change expert conspirators.

Socratus O' Pericles

I like Paul Murphy he has been very successful and effective and is very committed but that in a way is incidental to how he grinds righties gears, I love that about him.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'd forgotten that holy god almitey controls de wedder..........give him a big prize.

HarshBuzz

I would put Johnson in on that basis. Without him Brexit would have failed.
Might be adding Beppe Grillo into that list my Monday.

Actually my politician of the year is.....The Internet.

If we didn't have this resource where nonsensical lies could flourish and be allowed to overcome rational, informed debate we would have had no Trump, no Brexit and no water protests here. We owe the internet a great deal for ushering in this brave new era of non-truth. Bravo! Thank you, er, Al Gore.

Mentalist Clientelist

MEP - Mairead McGuinness - not a fan of Eurotrons but looking at it dispassionately, she has been doing the Michelin-starred version of the rubber chicken circuit garnering support for a tilt at President of the EU Parliament.

Senator - The Seanad should be abolished. No ifs, buts or maybes. An utter waste of taxpayers' money.

Opposition TD - Catherine Murphy. Topped the poll in the GE as a result of her exposure of Siteserv.

Government TD - Has to be Pascal. My FG sources tell me he's a real chance of becoming leader. Honourable mention for Simon Harris.

Dunce of the Year - the politician who flopped this year must be Simon Coveney. He came in to the year as a frontrunner for FG leadership but that Prime Time interview in March following the election, where he said the abolition of water charges was not a red line issue for government formation, killed his chances.

ger12

Lynn Boylan has indeed put a lot of work into campaigning on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood fascists and Paul Murpy has proved himself to be very effective at whipping up mobs to falsely imprison a 67 year old woman. The government deserve a lot of credit for creating a housing shortage so that the rents for their landlord pals are now sky high and adults working full time now have to share bedrooms with strangers.
Ah Jaysas ... I'm not sure that's in the spirit of the season ... Although it's in the spirit of P.ie alright :lol:

That it's all true is so friggin sad.

Socratus O' Pericles

Mary Mitchell O'Connor because the Dun Laoghaire constituency always has a Minister.

Mentalist Clientelist

Teresa May - for seeming like the only adult in the room post Brexit until we all realised she is just 3 kids wearing a trench coat.

In Ireland - Enda for becoming the first non-FF taoiseach to get reelected (sort of)

FG should have done much better in the GE that it did. Much of that down to Enda.

sic transit

ger12

Focus people ... Hat tip time ....

I should have mentioned the dunce of the year.

Mine goes to Kate O'Connell for the drivel on SoR yesterday and employing her sister as pa.

Mentalist Clientelist

Focus people ... Hat tip time ....

I should have mentioned the dunce of the year.

Mine goes to Kate O'Connell for the drivel on SoR yesterday and employing her sister as pa.
What happened on SOR yesterday? Couldn't be arsed listening back.

Most Replies