Politics.ie Books

CookieMonster

I've stuck in this in entertainment because the books mentioned needn't be about politics.

I understand that owing to the nature of the site and the interests of it's users that a high proportion of the books mentioned here will be political in nature. That's fine, but I would like that the discussions remain about books rather them about the topics in general... if you know what I mean.

If you wish to start a discussion on the topic of the book, rather than the contents of the book itself please start a new thread and link to it if you wish.

The Underdog

I like the following Catholic versions of the Bible

Douay-Rheims (DR)
The Jerusalem Bible (JB)
Revised Standard Version (RSV-CE)

Rocket Man

Here are a few of the best politics books that I have read in the lat few years:.

- The State of Africa by Martin Meridith: I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It gives an excellent treatment of the history of this troubled Continent post independence. All of the major African nations and their particular difficulties are dealt with in detail. It provides a unique understanding of Africa and even offers some solutions for the future.

- Ship of Fools by Fintan o' Toole: For my money this offers the best analysis as to how we got where we are today and for this reason is essential reading. Pat Leahy's book on Fianna Fail is also very good on this subject.

-First Among Equals by Jeffrey Archer: Okay, this is probably not a great literary work but I wanted to include some fiction in the list and this is quite entertaining while giving a good insight into the working of british politics.

CookieMonster

I bought Mandy's book yesterday.

I also bought Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, By John Heilemann and Mark Halperin.

Not started either yet.

Rocket Man

I bought Mandy's book yesterday.

I also bought Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, By John Heilemann and Mark Halperin.

Not started either yet.
I am in the middle of Mandy's book myself. He certainly has some interesting things to say particularly about Gordon Brown.
However as with everything that this man sayes you have to be concious that you are constanly being spun a line by the best spinner in the business.

Maximus Cynicus

I am in the middle of Mandy's book myself. He certainly has some interesting things to say particularly about Gordon Brown.
However as with everything that this man sayes you have to be concious that you are constanly being spun a line by the best spinner in the business.
Reminds me of the old George Burns quote, along the lines of "Sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made"

L'Chaim

There's a magnificent book called Why The Jews - The reason for antisemitism. It's written by Dennis Prager and Joseph Telushkin and is published by Simon and Schuster New York. It's a thought provoking book and it deals with why Jews have been the object of the most universal hatred in history, the rise of antisemitism in Europe, why America and Israel are linked in the minds of antisemites etc. and what is to be done about it i.e. what, if anything Jews can do to eradicate, diminish, or at the very least individually avoid antisemitism. I'd recommend that book to anybody.

There's also a great book called Tricks journalists play, by Dennis Barker. It's all about the erosion of standards and values in the world of newspapers, radio and TV. It's a very good read for those who are concerned about the effects of spin, misrepresentation, deception, prejudice and half truths that go into making news stories. You'll never look at a newspaper in the same light again after you read this book. It's a gem.

former wesleyan

Reading " Old World Colony : Cork and South Munster 1630-1830 by David Dickson
and "The shadow of the Great Game"
by Narendra Singh Sarila.
and "The Yellow Cross: the story of the last Cathars " by René Weis.

bormotello

Harry Harrison “After the storm”
25 years old, but looking more an more realistic prediction how Ireland will looks after global crisis

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I'm reading Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons and Slow Man by JM Coetzee now - both are looking as if they'll go down as all time favourites of mine

cYp

meriwether

I've just finished reading One Day by David Nicholls.

Reviews here:

One Day by David Nicholls - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I loved it, the premise sounds like chick-lit, b ut its far cleverer than that in the way the relationship and personalities of the 2 protoganists are explored.

I usually have no time for fiction, especially romantic fiction, but this came recommended to me and I really enjoyed it. Read it in 2 goes over the weekend.

RahenyFG

Im nearly finished a book called 'Down Down Deeper and Down, Ireland in the 70s and 80s' by Eamonn Sweeney. Good read. When I read how bad things were then it resonates with how bad things are now and how much worse they could get:(

Roy Feen

Political : "Tell Me No Lies: Investigative Journalism and its Triumphs" Edited by John Pilger

Fiction : "The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks, hilarious, dark and excellent.

bettybotox

Fiction : "The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks, hilarious, dark and excellent.
Read that a couple of months back. Made me feel a bit ill in places. I can understand the mixed reviews! :)

Just finished The Care Of Devils by Sylvia Press. An old book but a great read.

Ard Eoin

The Wasp Factory would be in my top 20 Twentieth Century Fiction.
It's superb.
i did enjoy The Wasp Factory...and many others under his Iain Banks persona...its his Sci-Fi Iain M Banks works that i am absolutely hooked on..

his latest...Surface Detail...is pure mental!...what an imagination that guy has...

Roy Feen

His Sci Fi is up there with the best. Surface Detail - hmmmmm. I have a book token.
I've only read a few of his Sci-Fi books to be honest, Feersum Enjinn being the last one, i've always steered towards the plain fiction. I suppose Walking on Glass is a bit far out,but i loved Complicity and The Crow Road.

Strangely enough the last job interview i had, the interviewer saw reading on my resume as one of my hobbies, he asked me what authors i'm into and Iain Banks was the first name that popped into my head.Turned out he was a big fan too and we spent 25 mins talking about his books.The interviewer is now my boss.

Ard Eoin

I've only read a few of his Sci-Fi books to be honest, Feersum Enjinn being the last one, i've always steered towards the plain fiction. I suppose Walking on Glass is a bit far out,but i loved Complicity and The Crow Road.

Strangely enough the last job interview i had, the interviewer saw reading on my resume as one of my hobbies, he asked me what authors i'm into and Iain Banks was the first name that popped into my head.Turned out he was a big fan too and we spent 25 mins talking about his books.The interviewer is now my boss.

ha!...cool...

just as well you weren't padding out the ole CV then huh?....:p

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies