• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Politics.ie No.21 in Sunday Tribune Top websites of 2006

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Many people will remember my pleads to get people to install the Alexa toolbar, which is where I think the Tribune is taking this list from.

It's been an interesting year for Politics.ie, and in 2007 we'll be taking a step up in our political coverage. I've almost completed the next step in what Politics.ie will be doing (more about that later in the month when Politics.ie turns 4).

What are your thoughts of Politics.ie in 2006? What would you like to see Politics.ie do in 2007. Talk to Politics.ie.....

President Bartlet

First of all, glad to see Politics.ie doing do well in the list.

Secondly, being a bit of a late comer and only joining this year, I just want to thank you for such a wonderful service. The debates, dicussions, thoughts and event the spats are great.

Keep up the good work and roll on GE 2007. :p Gonna be great fun :!:

Happy New Year to all at Politics.ie :D

drjimryan

Well done david.........

The prospect for 07 is excellent with the longest ever election campaign coming to its fiale......

Happy New Year to all.......

gaelach

my mistake.. :oops:

well done,Great site. :D

culbair

Thank you David for the provision of such an outstanding site. Debates here are really enjoyable. Happy new year to all.

Cork

Congrats to all involved with the site & the excellant contributions made by a very broad spectrum of political opinion.

The site is going from strength to strength.

I think with a general election in the offing in 2007 - this will be an opportunity for people to debate the issues.

What would you like to see Politics.ie do in 2007
A section for Local Government Issues?

The publicity on Newstalk in 2006 is also very worthwhile.

Well done!

Coles

Should this topic not be in 'Development and Editorial'? :wink:

I've enjoyed my time posting to this forum and I look forward to seeing it evolve over 2007. I have a few suggestions, all worthless.

1. Don't separate discussions on Northern Ireland from the rest of the discussions.

2. Would it be possible to provide a calender resource where topics could be tagged to the date they were discussed for future reference? Perhaps the main topics of discussion could be high-lighted by moderators instead of including all the dross?

3. A 'yawn' smiley?

Anyway, I'll settle for suggestion No.1.

Happy New Year everyone. Please God the new year will bring the total obliteration of the PDs, and world peace.

hiding behind a poster

As Gerry Adams said to the Sinn Fein Ard Fheis in 1998 -

"Well done David". :lol:

THR

This is a very enjoyable site with a lot of intelligent conversation. As one writing from Finland and having written to a lot of Finnish sites as well, I have realised how people are just the same everywhere really. Just like on the Finnish sites, also this site contains its fair share of the village-fools, one issue fanatics, the besserwissers who know everything about everything or so they think, and those who really have nothing clever to say but post their messages nevertheless. However, a vast majority of the posters belongs to none of the abovementioned categories.

Catalpa

Thanks for a great Site David.

But for a politics addict like me it is very hard to break away from a daily fix here!

I am really looking forward to the coverage that will be generated here as we move closer to the Big Day.

We will also have elections in the North, Tony Blair leaving office, the election for the French Presidency, possible US pullout from centre stage in Iraq + the completely unexpected that makes politics so interesting.

Any chance of a bigger selection of Smilies? :D

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Many happy returns and a happy new year to p.ie. Next year I would like to see a weekly interview with a politician similar to what United Irelander's blog used to have http://unitedirelander.blogspot.com. I would like us to be able to put down questions in advance and you pick a selection of them to ask the politicians. I would also like to see more polls on politics.ie. :wink:

codology

David if all this back slapping continues could we have arise sir david soon ,athbhliain faoi mháise.

Pidge

'Tis a great auld site. I'll hold back any thoughts (a wanky way of saying I have none) on the development of the site until the GE stuff is announced. From what I've heard, it should be great.

meriwether

How about bringing back the little feature we had up till not too long ago, of pages of the most recent discussions?
For slightly older topics it was handy to click on page 2 of the most recent discussions, page 3 etc, rather than trawling through the forum to locate it.

meriwether

Oh, while I think about it, whats the story with the blogs? Are they closed down? I applied for one ages ago, and I am still blogless to the best of my knowledge.

gaelach

meriwether said:
How about bringing back the little feature we had up till not too long ago, of pages of the most recent discussions?
For slightly older topics it was handy to click on page 2 of the most recent discussions, page 3 etc, rather than trawling through the forum to locate it.
Is it not there under "Latest Discussions?"

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
First of all Dave .. well done .. I've told you more than once that its a fine site you're hosting (even though we've had a couple of spats ourselves). If it was a pay site, i'd gladly contribute a few bob to help.

But looking throughout the rest of the list, something struck me about how the InterWeb is being used generally.

Outside of the first four sites, which are hosting and search sites, and would be expected to be high access, the next five sites include

Bebo
MySpace
and YouTube

which are all online commnity sites

Further down, you find Blogger.com, Adultfriendfinder.com, Daft.ie, Boards.ie, Politics.ie, Gaydar.ie, again "community" sites

and even further down, you come across "foreign" community sites.. for the Chinese community, Latvian community, Polish community, a Malayan community, French etc

Throw in Flickr.com, Photobucket etc etc etc... and it makes me wonder

Are people in this day and age becoming slightly disconnected from "personal" contact, and if so, for what reason.

Is it a good or a bad thing ?

I've found that in my real life, people tend to build up a small albeit tight group of friends, but beyond that, can find it hard to connect with others.

The social scene in Ireland is becoming contracted in my opinion, with people not going to pubs as much anymore, especially in rural areas, and finding very few outlets to actually meet others where they can have a chat.

Even worse, if you do meet other people, they may simply not be interested in the same things as themselves, and therefore conversations can be strained or inane, wheras if you log into a "community" based site such as Politics.ie, you have a fair indication of a certain level of interest by others in something which interests you also i.e. Politics, even if those views are diametrically opposed.

I've met people from P.ie offline, who I'd consider as "friends" in a sense, and would be quite happy to meet again. There are others on here, who I'd like to meet, have a pint and a chat...

Even though there is still a "view" amongst some people that meeting people off the Internet is somehow "undesirable" and displays a possible lack of social skills.

I think its the exact opposite. I think once you have chatted for a time with people on sites like this, and then decided that you want to meet up afterwards "in real life", it shows a greater maturity of social skill, as you create the opportunity to widen your social circle.

I could write a bit more about this, and I might later on as I've other things to do today... but is this worth a debate ?

Is the InterWebby a good thing or a bad thing socially ?

kerrynorth

Are we going to have a GE 07 members competition along the lines I suggested last month?