• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Politics is not a Career.

ruserious

....Or, it shouldn't be.

It ought to be an honour to serve your people and make the tough decisions needed with both eyes at the task at hand, not on the next election.

But, alas, that is not the case here in Ireland.

Irish politicians nearly all act in a self-interest manner. Everything they say and do is all geared towards a re-election bid next time out. This is holding the country back in the gutter. The tough decisions are not being taken because of the voter deficit it would entail. This parish pump led politics is keeping the country down because we have no real leaders in power.

Look at the government U-Turns since they came to power:
Hogan does U-turn on alarm cuts after causing 'distress' to elderly - National News - Independent.ie
Connaught Telegraph - Fine Gael perform surprise U-turn on cash strapped hospital stance
Government does U-turn on cutbacks for the disabled - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 05, 2012

What these illustrate is that the government will bow to any pressure which may threaten their future electoral performance. Now I am not saying that the above examples were 'needed' for the good of the country, but it simply highlights the short term focus of Ireland's leaders.

This rot was evident from the first day of the new government. Labour, chose to enter a coalition with FG. Had they refused, Labour would be the main opposition party with a weak FG led government. Gilmore would have been next Taoiseach. But...career politics created many a fuzzy eye at the Labour Party's HQ.
Gilmore, Rabbitte, Burton, Quinn and Howlin had to get into power before it was too late.

Good of the party, and especially the country not even considered.

Politicians need to know that they are elected by the people to make the best decisions for the term they were elected to. They should not use that term to seek re-election by playing stroke politics. They should be judged from hard work and determination, not how many funerals you attend or how many passports you processed.

It is simply not a career.

It is an honour and the sooner they realise that, perhaps the sooner we will make the right, tough decisions that are needed to get our country back on the road to recovery.

I await attacks by party shills, but I do this knowing, I put my opinions into writing.

Rus.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Elected public representives- career Vs vocation". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

ManUnited

....Or, it shouldn't be.

It ought to be an honour to serve your people and make the tough decisions needed with both eyes at the task at hand, not on the next election.

But, alas, that is not the case here in Ireland.

Irish politicians nearly all act in a self-interest manner. Everything they say and do is all geared towards a re-election bid next time out. This is holding the country back in the gutter. The tough decisions are not being taken because of the voter deficit it would entail. This parish pump led politics is keeping the country down because we have no real leaders in power.

Look at the government U-Turns since they came to power:
Hogan does U-turn on alarm cuts after causing 'distress' to elderly - National News - Independent.ie
Connaught Telegraph - Fine Gael perform surprise U-turn on cash strapped hospital stance
Government does U-turn on cutbacks for the disabled - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 05, 2012

What these illustrate is that the government will bow to any pressure which may threaten their future electoral performance. Now I am not saying that the above examples were 'needed' for the good of the country, but it simply highlights the short term focus of Ireland's leaders.

This rot was evident from the first day of the new government. Labour, chose to enter a coalition with FG. Had they refused, Labour would be the main opposition party with a weak FG led government. Gilmore would have been next Taoiseach. But...career politics created many a fuzzy eye at the Labour Party's HQ.
Gilmore, Rabbitte, Burton, Quinn and Howlin had to get into power before it was too late.

Good of the party, and especially the country not even considered.

Politicians need to know that they are elected by the people to make the best decisions for the term they were elected to. They should not use that term to seek re-election by playing stroke politics. They should be judged from hard work and determination, not how many funerals you attend or how many passports you processed.

It is simply not a career.

It is an honour and the sooner they realise that, perhaps the sooner we will make the right, tough decisions that are needed to get our country back on the road to recovery.

I await attacks by party shills, but I do this knowing, I put my opinions into writing.

Rus.
Why would you think being a politician is an honour? I would think it is a job.

ruserious

Why would you think being a politician is an honour? I would think it is a job.
To be chosen by your people to make their decisions is an honour. It is, because they have put trust in you to act on their behalf to the best of your ability.
A job simply creates a focus of constantly needing to be re-elected to keep 'your job'. That is where the problems begin, along with sub-optimal decisions.

Porkypie

Politics should not be a cancer? Read Johnny 365 last thread. It's sick

ManUnited

To be chosen by your people to make their decisions is an honour. It is, because they have put trust in you to act on their behalf to the best of your ability.
A job simply creates a focus of constantly needing to be re-elected to keep 'your job'. That is where the problems begin, along with sub-optimal decisions.
You put your trust in a lot of professions to make decisions for you. Doctors for ex. Surely a career politician has experience?

ruserious

You put your trust in a lot of professions to make decisions for you. Doctors for ex. Surely a career politician has experience?
Doctors who are in it for personal gain never last in the profession. It requires people to be dedicated to the cause and totally committed to the patients. I cannot say that for career politicians.

ManUnited

Doctors who are in it for personal gain never last in the profession. It requires people to be dedicated to the cause and totally committed to the patients. I cannot say that for career politicians.
Well maybe you can't, but then how many politicians careers have you looked at? there are good docs and bad docs, same as any other profession including politicians.

goosebump

Irish politicians nearly all act in a self-interest manner. Everything they say and do is all geared towards a re-election bid next time out. This is holding the country back in the gutter.
That's a moronic statement.

Politicians make promises they can't keep, or indulge in rampant populism, because that's the only way to get elected.

There are plenty of candidates out there who don't make promises or indulge in populism, but guess what, you've never heard of any of them, because none of them have even gotten more than a few hundred votes.

Politicians aren't holding the country back. The electorate is.

ruserious

That's a moronic statement.

Politicians make promises they can't keep, or indulge in rampant populism, because that's the only way to get elected.

There are plenty of candidates out there who don't make promises or indulge in populism, but guess what, you've never heard of any of them, because none of them have even gotten more than a few hundred votes.

Politicians aren't holding the country back. The electorate is.
The electorate votes for parties who make these promises. Yes, the electorate should take more responsibility but when the established parties create a monopoly of the vote based on false promises, the electorate is left little alternative.

goosebump

The electorate votes for parties who make these promises. Yes, the electorate should take more responsibility but when the established parties create a monopoly of the vote based on false promises, the electorate is left little alternative.
A voter always has an alternative. If they don't like what's on offer, they can run themselves. That's what a democracy is.

Mercurial

We could try tying politicians' salaries to the average wage. That would probably get rid of a bunch of people who shouldn't be there.

ruserious

Well maybe you can't, but then how many politicians careers have you looked at? there are good docs and bad docs, same as any other profession including politicians.
Is there any party politician you think deserves not to be associated with my OP?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Its a job, usually for those with more neck than brains.

They all lack integrity. Most of them lack intelligence too.

tigerben

Being a politican in government is to be a face of a department. The unseen civil servants that don't change when politicans are by the voters are the real government . That's why no matter who fronts the front desk it's the back room boys that rule supreme.

Astral Peaks

I think we should remember that all politics is local and start with reform of local government.

Amazing that nobody ever thinks of this on here!!

:cool:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies