• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Politics, Religion and Manufactured Apathy

Armchair Activist

An interesting title and subject I thought to share.

Recently I was introduced to the idea that religion (Christianity in particular) was a thought system used to push public opinion towards negative worldly outlooks. The idea of rapture, final judgement and second coming of Christ has long been a philosophy of our ancestors. High priests, kings and lords would then use this fear as leverage to continue their tradition of elite rulership over the mass public. Who for fear of "the world about to end" would comply or loose interest in challenging leadership. Sounds familiar I bet.

Hopefully some scholars are on board to add to the discussion.

Socratus O' Pericles

Recently I was introduced to the idea that religion (Christianity in particular) was a thought system used to push public opinion towards negative worldly outlooks. The idea of rapture, final judgement and second coming of Christ has long been a philosophy of our ancestors. High priests, kings and lords would then use this fear as leverage to continue their tradition of elite rulership over the mass public. Who for fear of "the world about to end" would comply or loose interest in challenging leadership. Sounds familiar I bet.

Marxist alienation or Entfremdung :

Philosophically, the Entfremdung theory relies upon The Essence of Christianity (1841), by Ludwig Feuerbach, which argues that the supernatural idea of “God” has alienated the natural characteristics of the human being.

Socratus O' Pericles

Marx has set out his conception of religion in the light of his notion of the stages of history as a whole. First, humans see themselves as a local community, with their local gods. Then, in the era of money and exploitation, god almighty rules over all. Finally, there is no use for god, as humans freely govern their own lives.

Drogheda445

The divine right of kings was a classic example of this. Anyone who challenged the monarch or whoever was the divinely appointed head of state was committing an act against God and the most supreme of crimes. This certainly held back any progress in terms of democratisation in many countries, and helped to keep Church control firmly established.

Certainly the idea of Nietzsche's "slave morality" comes to mind (i.e. a flock mentality, remaining enslaved to the morals of authority).

stopdoingstuff

We are no more liberated. There has always been a dominant ideology of the powerful and the same fundamental structures exist, and these structures are maintained by the same methods- a legitimizing narrative propagated by a priestly caste in the pay of the state (intellectuals), a monopoly on violence, the forced confiscation of private wealth, and the assumption of the pre-eminent right to mediate all contact with outside powers. If the fence has been widened somewhat and the guns camouflaged, it is only for reasons of productivity.

shiel

There is also the ideal of love of neighbour and all being equal.

The ideal is not always lived up to but that does not render it invalid.

statsman

I would have thought that the vast majority of Xtians are not Millenarians, and you do seem to be conflating Xtianity and religion somewhat, as if there were no other options. The biggest negative influence of Xtianity on the body politic, in my view, is the idea that suffering in this world is acceptable because you'll get your reward in the next. This extreme form of deferred gratification tends to work against any concerted Xtian drive to reform this world.