Poolbeg a reality twenty years on

ger12

The Poolbeg operators have announced that ...

"Late on Thursday 1 June 2017, the Dublin Waste to Energy facility reached the important ‘first fire’ milestone, meaning that waste was treated for the first time. At this time, waste is only being processed in Boiler #1, with Boiler #2 to follow shortly.

During this initial phase of operation the plant will start-up and shut-down on several occasions as system optimisation tests are carried out. This is normal during the start-up of a plant of this nature".

After twenty years, it's finally up and running.

120 trucks per day will drive to and from the plant over a six day week, according to Covanta. Deliveries – even ones from the south – will be via the M50 and the Port Tunnel, the company insists, although waste from the immediate local area will be brought straight to the facility.
Up and running: 'First fire' of waste at controversial Poolbeg incinerator

Has your attitude changed towards this facility in the last twenty years? Are many P.iers living near this facility?

GDPR

About time the Dubs started to deal with their waste instead of sending it elsewhere.

wombat

Are many P.iers living near this facility?
Depends on what you mean by near, when I worked at the sewage plant, there was a halting site about 1 km from it, they were closest, not sure if they've moved.

wombat

About time the Dubs started to deal with their waste instead of sending it elsewhere.
It makes a lot more sense to locate it at Poolbeg than in Meath.

HarshBuzz

The Poolbeg operators have announced that ...

"Late on Thursday 1 June 2017, the Dublin Waste to Energy facility reached the important ‘first fire’ milestone, meaning that waste was treated for the first time. At this time, waste is only being processed in Boiler #1, with Boiler #2 to follow shortly.

During this initial phase of operation the plant will start-up and shut-down on several occasions as system optimisation tests are carried out. This is normal during the start-up of a plant of this nature".

After twenty years, it's finally up and running.

120 trucks per day will drive to and from the plant over a six day week, according to Covanta. Deliveries – even ones from the south – will be via the M50 and the Port Tunnel, the company insists, although waste from the immediate local area will be brought straight to the facility.
Up and running: 'First fire' of waste at controversial Poolbeg incinerator

Has your attitude changed towards this facility in the last twenty years? Are many P.iers living near this facility?
I'm delighted it's finally up.

And this might be a strange thing to say.....but visually, from across the bay (Howth Head say), it looks quite cool.

wombat

And this might be a strange thing to say.....but visually, from across the bay (Howth Head say), it looks quite cool.

Pity we can't get rid of the rusty barber poles in the background

Fritzbox

Pity we can't get rid of the rusty barber poles in the background
I know.

Can the protection order imposed upon them be rescinded?

D

Deleted member 42179

Lots of extra respiratory problems in the dublin area.
Should provide plenty of new jobs for GPs, pharmacies and undertakers

Another successful FFG/Lab "jobs jobs jobs" initiative. :roll:

Ireland giving up it's air quality as an externality for private business.
Green Tourists will be able to enjoy green air as well as eye watering high prices in Dublin.

On the bright side, more respiratory deaths and an increased exodus from the capital by people who prefer not to breathe in dioxins with their oxygen should put some downward pressure on rent and property prices. Aren't free markets great? Especially when you team them with corruption.

Poolbeg incinerator, Dublin City Council, corruption and new energy direction needed

eoghanacht

Leave the towers, we can retro fit a sling shot and sling it between them.

It'll be an anti-aircraft gun defending Dublin in case the Russians or aliens try and attack.

pinemartin

That photo is not real. If you were looking from howth the stacks would be to the west of the new burner.

I think the new burner looks great.long may it operate.

ger12

They'll be dealing with all our waste now.

ger12

Depends on what you mean by near, when I worked at the sewage plant, there was a halting site about 1 km from it, they were closest, not sure if they've moved.
You're not there anymore? By near I guess Clontarf, Sanydmount etc.

pinemartin

I live in sandymount. The plant looks great from the strand.I noticed the whispy vapour from the plant today.

ger12

I live in sandymount. The plant looks great from the strand.I noticed the whispy vapour from the plant today.
I agree it look visually well. I've spent the last two years in Dublin not far from it and moved out this weekend back to Meath. Kinda happy with the timing, I suspect that "whispy vapour" might increase in time.

silverharp

me too, thought i'd hate it but they picked a good colour for it, it kinda blends into the sky

ger12

Far better for the environment than dumping it in the ground.
I guess technology has moved forward over the last two decades if burning means harnessing energy. Though emissions would concern me.

wombat

I guess technology has moved forward over the last two decades if burning means harnessing energy. Though emissions would concern me.
The emissions from the incinerator will be measured and controlled, unlike those from the "green" diesels driving around the city.

New Threads

Most Replies