Poolbeg Incinerator - break clause in contract

Lennon

Prime Time revealed tonight that the PPP contract for the Poolbeg Incinerator is due to expire this Sunday. Is this the end of this outrageous project?

He3

Paul Cunningham had the story. It is not accurate to say it is due to expire - but it is capable of being terminated.

Will DCC terminate?

spidermom

Will Covanta???

or will the two just renegoiate new terms?
Seeing the CPO was issued by DCC, they must have an end game in mind!
Wonder did Gormley know??

Barnacle

Didn't the Council say a while back that there was a put or pay clause. This break clause would seem contrary to this.

Lennon

Didn't the Council say a while back that there was a put or pay clause. This break clause would seem contrary to this.
DCC would not answer questions posed by RTE citing "commercial in confidence". This secrecy is typical of the undemocratic nature of Public Private Partnership contracts.

This white elephant of a monster of a project must now be killed once and for all.

Lennon

The recent CPO for some of the relevant lands would indicate that the parties are still committed to it.
They need a foreshore licence to proceed and Minister Gormley is stalling that. Come Sunday either party can legally walk away from the contract. RTE hinted that commercial reality will mean that Coventa may put a stop to it.

joemomma

They need a foreshore licence to proceed and Minister Gormley is stalling that. Come Sunday either party can legally walk away from the contract. RTE hinted that commercial reality will mean that Coventa may put a stop to it.
I thought they said they didn't need a foreshore licence if they get the CPO?

"Commercial reality" is what will kill this project, whether or not it gets built. It's really a relic of the Bertie era of unrestrained irrational optimism about how fast and how far the economy would grow. Waste volumes are falling and they won't be picking up any time soon, even if we do return to economic growth. The world has moved on and so should Dublin City Council.

Baron von Biffo

Why then did they bother with the CPO? My guess is that they know Gormley will be toast no later than 2012 so they're prepared to press ahead and ignore him as much as possible and have it up and running as soon as they can.

He had nearly 3 months from the time he took office until the contract was signed to stop it if he wanted to but he did nothing. All he's doing now is making a bit of a nuisance of himself and possibly exposing the state to compensation costs for stalling it.

I look forward to someone staging a photo of a truck with Gormley election posters on the back driving through the incinerator gates.

DaveMc

Prime Time revealed tonight that the PPP contract for the Poolbeg Incinerator is due to expire this Sunday. Is this the end of this outrageous project?
:mad:If the Break clause provision is true; officials from Dublin city council should spend the rest of their lives in prison for misleading the public i.e. their paymaster (or should be!).

I am furious about this if true (and I’m from Cork); I will swear to vote Green in the next election if Gormley is proved to have been right all along on this issue.

Baron von Biffo

I thought they said they didn't need a foreshore licence if they get the CPO?

"Commercial reality" is what will kill this project, whether or not it gets built. It's really a relic of the Bertie era of unrestrained irrational optimism about how fast and how far the economy would grow. Waste volumes are falling and they won't be picking up any time soon, even if we do return to economic growth. The world has moved on and so should Dublin City Council.
There's waste outside Dublin that could be burned there.

wombat

I once heard Ruairi Quinn talking on the radio about this. He was of the view that Dublin's waste could be burned "Down in the bogs somewhere." Maybe it was the opening shot in his mayoral campaign.
Possibly somewhere in your part of the world - maybe mix it in with some of the turf we pay you to burn;)

DaveMc

Feckin brilliant, lets import waste from China, Russia, Wexford, and Bally Kissmyass to ensure that Covanta makes a profit to pay their skakeholders and any ‘other payments’ that are due!!

joemomma

There's waste all over the world that could be burned there if it comes to that. Of course the justification for entering into the PPP and obtaining planning permission was not that there was a lot of waste around the place that needed burning, but that DUBLIN had a lot of waste that couldn't be dealt with any other way.

Baron von Biffo

Feckin brilliant, lets import waste from China, Russia, Wexford, and Bally Kissmyass to ensure that Covanta makes a profit to pay their skakeholders and any ‘other payments’ that are due!!
Hysterics aside, what's the difference between taking Dublin waste to a landfill in Wicklow and taking Wicklow waste to an incinerator in Dublin?

Baron von Biffo

There's waste all over the world that could be burned there if it comes to that. Of course the justification for entering into the PPP and obtaining planning permission was not that there was a lot of waste around the place that needed burning, but that DUBLIN had a lot of waste that couldn't be dealt with any other way.
Where's Dublin's waste going now?

spidermom

:mad:If the Break clause provision is true; officials from Dublin city council should spend the rest of their lives in prison for misleading the public i.e. their paymaster (or should be!).

I am furious about this if true (and I’m from Cork); I will swear to vote Green in the next election if Gormley is proved to have been right all along on this issue.
??...Don't understand!
If you park the pros and cons of incineration for just a mo!
DCC were following government policy on waste...and it is still government policy...(till Gormley changes it...)

All councils were actively encouraged to seek PPPs...DCC did and this is the result.

Is this not how McNamara got out of the redevelopement of Teresa's gardens?...standard in PPPs I suppose??

Am I wrong??

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies