• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Poolbeg incinerator to go ahead.

Baron von Biffo

RTÉ News: Construction at Poolbeg to start in December

It's against Green policy yet even though their leader is minister for the environment, building work on the Poolbeg incinerator is to commence next month.

Gormley has made much of his restrictions which he claims will ensure the plant is not economically viable, but the project owners clearly see him as an inconsequential figure. They know that by the time the incinerator is commissioned he will be just a bad memory and his restrictions abandoned.

Yet another Green principle gone up in flames.

hammer

Two fingers to Gormless from Dublin County Council.

Happy Xmas.

My belief is that they are ignoring the Minister ( obviously ) to get development levies from the developers. They are bankrupt themselves and need the money ;)

The Field Marshal

The good news about it is that John Gormley will be the first person to go into it when it is officially opened.

Daito

I have to say that I find Minister Gormleys objections to the incinerator to be ludicrous. The country needs an efficient way to dispose of refuse and incineration is an internationally recognised method for achieving this.

Minister Gormley seems to be intent on financially hobbling the project before it even starts.

And we should be seriously considering nuclear power in Ireland........an issue that never seems to rise to the level of reasoned debate.

willoughby

I actuallt think this is good, an incinerator may not be pretty to be living beside but its better than a dump, try driving out of Portlaoise or Tullamore on a warm summers day and you wouldnt like to be living beside one. I know pollution is an issue and recycling is a big part of the answer but this incinerator should have no problem filling capacity. Surely other Co.Council;s will contribute rubbish for a nominal fee if the capacity can not be filled.

H

I have to say that I find Minister Gormleys objections to the incinerator to be ludicrous. The country needs an efficient way to dispose of refuse and incineration is an internationally recognised method for achieving this.

Minister Gormley seems to be intent on financially hobbling the project before it even starts.

And we should be seriously considering nuclear power in Ireland........an issue that never seems to rise to the level of reasoned debate.
Johhny "The Banker and Developers Friend" Gormless is shamelessly trying to hang onto his seat the FF/Green party hypocrite could not give a hoot about incinerators or any other "green" priniciple that he lied to his voters about, as proved by his support for his party (FF) in government

The bad thing is due to this idiots behaviour it could yet end up in court and cost the taxpayer a fortune!

OBVIOUSLY TWINS DIVIDED AT BIRTH!

Minister Gormless

A Wingnut!

orbit

Well he's in good company. There isn't a single politician in DSE who is prepared to look beyond the parish pump on this. Chris Andrews (FF), Kevin Humphreys (Lab) and "Lose Enda" Creighton (FG) all bashing Gormley in today's IT for failing to stop it. Disgrace the lot of them.

Clanrickard

Well said. Now is not the time to be listening to Luddite tree huggers.

B.Bumblebee

Can I ask a question - you know when Gormley proclaims to be a green, does he mean he represents the green bit in the FF banner?

It seems to me that (he lived his life like a candle in the wind ......ooops sorry....seemed apt when it comes to the incinerator) that the Greens get along just fine with FF. In fact i'd even go as far to say that the Greens are really FF'ers who wanted to bypass the rest of the membership to get a chance at being in Govt..

The PD/FF alliance was more troublesome over the years than FF/Green.

Green Party = FF ?

willoughby

Can I ask a question - you know when Gormley proclaims to be a green, does he mean he represents the green bit in the FF banner?

It seems to me that (he lived his life like a candle in the wind ......ooops sorry....seemed apt when it comes to the incinerator) that the Greens get along just fine with FF. In fact i'd even go as far to say that the Greens are really FF'ers who wanted to bypass the rest of the membership to get a chance at being in Govt..

The PD/FF alliance was more troublesome over the years than FF/Green.

Green Party = FF ?
At least other parties nail their colours to mast and stick relatively close to them, even if that means being very Broadbased

Being a green has to be one of the easiest ideologies to stick to, Except in Ireland.

Baron von Biffo

I actually think this is good, an incinerator may not be pretty to be living beside but its better than a dump, try driving out of Portlaoise or Tullamore on a warm summers day and you wouldn't like to be living beside one.
They're way worse in fog. On a foggy night the stench from the Portlaoise landfill goes right to the edge of Mountmellick.

donkylemore

Gormley and the Greens are in this for the trappings of power. This nonsense of cleaning up politics in Ireland.. ?
Gormley got elected because McDdowell was so reviled.. remember the great head to head on the streetsof the capital between these two peacocks..? The great brain of the Law library ( was that Mc Dowel's own description of himself ?) against a spitting contralto with bicycle clips
Gormely would queue to perform fellatio on any FF member to stay in power .. he'd trample over Ryan to ge there first.
What about NIMBISM .. would Gormley be ok with an incinerator in Kilconnell or Aughrim ,
Or indeed New Grange for that matter .. why not .but not his back yard.

truthisfree

I actuallt think this is good, an incinerator may not be pretty to be living beside but its better than a dump, try driving out of Portlaoise or Tullamore on a warm summers day and you wouldnt like to be living beside one. I know pollution is an issue and recycling is a big part of the answer but this incinerator should have no problem filling capacity. Surely other Co.Council;s will contribute rubbish for a nominal fee if the capacity can not be filled.
Agreed, we have to dispose of rubbish and incinerating is one of the most efficient ways of doing so. Land fill is problematic and very expensive.

donkylemore

The Greens and Seanad Eireann

The Greens are now putting N O Brolochan forward for a Seanad seat.
The Green Party has tis to say of Seanad Eireann
All political parties would need to recognize that the Seanad is not some perverse political combination of a creche and a retirement home.

Yet they are advocating a canditate to a totally undemocratic assembly which they descripe in the pejorative terms used above .
But worse. Only a select portion of the electorate enjoy the privalage of voting . I myself have a vote but dont use it.
I believe it really is a political combination of a creche and a retirement home and a reward for failed politicians such as O Brolochan who secured a paltry 700 votes in the local and Bye elections June 2009.
And they are happy to have this rejected foisted on the people ?

OceanFrog

FG's Eoghan Murphy on this 27th November 2009 ...

"This is extremely disturbing in light of Minister Gormley’s comments only last week. The Minister said that he would be appointing an officer to investigate the financial implications of the contract with Covanta and Dong. We now know that this was a meaningless commitment in light of what we are hearing today.

Minister Gormley made the statement following the publication of a report commissioned by private waste contractors, the Irish Waste Management Association (IWMA), calling for the capacity of the incinerator at 600,000 tonnes to be, at the very least, halved to meet actual forecasted requirements until 2037.

This contract should never have gone ahead on the merit of its proposed location alone. We then hear only last week that we will not have adequate waste for the incinerator’s capacity – a long held suspicion, confirming that the proposed incinerator is grossly over-sized. To add injury to insult, if predictions over expected tonnage of waste production over the next 20 years are accurate, the City could possibly have to pick up a bill of over 18 million euro a year for not meeting its requirements under the contract.

This contract should have been examined on the Minister’s first day in office and not now, at what is beyond the 11th hour. What is the point in reviewing the contract if construction is now underway?
"

I'm no fan of Murphy but he does make some good points which Gormley should be made to address.

OceanFrog

Gormley also confirmed his commitment to an incineration levy in an attempt to cost incineration out of the matrix of waste management options. This seems counter productive if we are to be fined for not reaching our incineration targets.

Seriously, wtf is Gormley doing?

A review of waste management policy is also pointless if we have already committed ourselves to burning 600,000 tonnes of waste that we don’t have over the next twenty years and on.

Again I ask seriously, wtf is Gormley doing?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies