Poor Early Outing for FF Candidate in Donegal SW

onlyasking

This thread would have been placed on the elections forum, but webpage problems prevented that.

Senator Briain O'Domhnaill, the newly unveiled FF candidate in Dongal SW, failed to impress on Morning Ireland. He started off with the professional confidence you'd expect from a senator, but once the specifics were raised he was reduced to thrashing around with the usual guff.

Generating sufficient momentum to save FF in DSW may take more than bogus Sindo polling such as yesterday's, in which FF were shown comfortably in the lead in the constituency.

EUrJokingMeRight

Another Goebbels report by the sunday independent. The paper of halfwits.

greengoose2

+1

And this poll was taken before the FF candidate was even selected.

LOL
Selected?

According to the journal which claims to be the newspaper of record:

SENATOR BRIAN Ó Domhnaill was selected unopposed as the Fianna Fáil candidate for the Donegal South West byelection in Glenties last night

If he was unopposed there was no selection!

verb (used with object)
to choose in preference to another or others; pick out.
–verb (used without object)
to make a choice; pick.

Nice play on words. One might wonder why the other withdrew their names...

Nordie Northsider

I doubt if FF in Donegal will worry about their candidate's performance on Morning Ireland. They'll be relying on cultural FF voters to do what they've always done - they their parents and their parents' parents. Talent, oratory, coherent thought and charisma don't enter into it. Look at Mary Coughlan for Christ's sake.

EUrJokingMeRight

Poor o'Domhnaill. Imagine getting 'outed' as a FFer. Jeebus!

'Could You live with the shame'? :)

EUrJokingMeRight

Selected?

According to the journal which claims to be the newspaper of record:

If he was unopposed there was no selection!

verb (used with object)
to choose in preference to another or others; pick out.
–verb (used without object)
to make a choice; pick.

Nice play on words. One might wonder why the other withdrew their names...
OMG. First you defend the indefensible 'journal'.
Then You state there was 'No selection'.
Then you actually highlight the newspapers quote in bold 'Selected Unopposed'.
Which states the word 'Selected'!!!
Now see my previous post about the rag being the favoured paper of halfwits, then make a cup of tea and think about your previous post. Though I get where you're coming from, splitting hairs a bit.

popular1

I doubt if FF in Donegal will worry about their candidate's performance on Morning Ireland. They'll be relying on cultural FF voters to do what they've always done - they their parents and their parents' parents. Talent, oratory, coherent thought and charisma don't enter into it. Look at Mary Coughlan for Christ's sake.
spot on. i was talking to 2 donegal people yesterday about o domhaill and the bye election and i asked who would they be voting for and they said o domhaill, i said that would be like voting for nama and cowen and they said ahwell we know him, there you have it, nothing to do with policies whatsoever.

EUrJokingMeRight

spot on. i was talking to 2 donegal people yesterday about o domhaill and the bye election and i asked who would they be voting for and they said o domhaill, i said that would be like voting for nama and cowen and they said ahwell we know him, there you have it, nothing to do with policies whatsoever.
Two words. Dime Bars!

greengoose2

OMG. First you defend the indefensible 'journal'.
Then You state there was 'No selection'.
Then you actually highlight the newspapers quote in bold 'Selected Unopposed'.
Which states the word 'Selected'!!!
Now see my previous post about the rag being the favoured paper of halfwits, then make a cup of tea and think about your previous post. Though I get where you're coming from, splitting hairs a bit.
You could do some tea drinking yourself! I never defended that deefor rag, ever. What I was highlighting was that the comment was "selected unopposed" and the fact that if he was the only candidate he was not selected per se. He was presented as was his boss when he too over from da Bert!

The press in Ireland is a deplorable joke at this stage.

Now back on topic...

Why did the other candidates desist? Are the FFers going through the motions in the knowledge that they will be hammered at this by election?

Tomas Mor

Dont forget this is Donegal and FF have "looked after them" with medical cards etc, even though jobs position is dire. Best SF can hope for is that some FFers will stay at home, they will not go out and vote differently from the ould ones.

Nordie Northsider

'Are the FFers going through the motions in the knowledge that they will be hammered at this by election?'

God, I don't know, Green Goose. I have an awful feeling that FF might pull this one out of the bag, and that's not based on any dubious Sindo polling.
I know Donegal very well and cannot emphasize enough the complete lack of ideology or policy-based choices there. I have university-educated in-laws there who say they're going to vote FF. When asked why they reply: 'Because me Da does.'

Regardless of who wins, I don't believe that FF will receive the humiliation they surely deserve.

gijoe

I could not believe what I was hearing this morning. He seemed to indicate that he will be promising jobs and schools etc during the campaign - I mean WTF!

bmw1

if fina flaw come anywhere near winning i think Ivan yates plan for donegal may not be that far off ie sell it to the brits

Aridion

o Domhnaill could have a good run at this election.They seem to have a very strong canvassing machine.
And a few weeks is a long time in politics. Many attitudes could change before the 25th.
Lets wait and see..........

Hewson

'Are the FFers going through the motions in the knowledge that they will be hammered at this by election?'

God, I don't know, Green Goose. I have an awful feeling that FF might pull this one out of the bag, and that's not based on any dubious Sindo polling.
I know Donegal very well and cannot emphasize enough the complete lack of ideology or policy-based choices there. I have university-educated in-laws there who say they're going to vote FF. When asked why they reply: 'Because me Da does.'

Regardless of who wins, I don't believe that FF will receive the humiliation they surely deserve.
If Fianna Fail win this one in Donegal, I vote we re-draw the border and give the county to Robinson and McGuinness for safe keeping. We'll take it back when and if they grow up and get sense.

On the other hand, Donegal people are famously independent. Maybe they'll vote sensibly.

Aridion

Donegal people will vote for the person they know will deliver!
I think the negativity of the anti -FFers are beginning to bore them. As they are that little bit more independent up here, they will want what is best for the county, maybe not what is best for the country overall.
This realisation makes the by election a close, if perplexing affair.

SFInbhear

If Fianna Fail win this one in Donegal, I vote we re-draw the border and give the county to Robinson and McGuinness for safe keeping. We'll take it back when and if they grow up and get sense.

On the other hand, Donegal people are famously independent. Maybe they'll vote sensibly.
There not Independant, they have consistently voted for Fianna Fail. 1997 was an extreme one off.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies