• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Poor quality control on newspaper websites

rapparree

looking at the indo website's front page now, there is at least 2 spelling errors, the gardai are marching in the new york saint partick's day parade and christy dignam is the lead singer of alsan

these typos and other similar errors seem to be increasing in prevalence on not only the indo but in the Irish times website as well. Anyone inclined to look on any given day will be sure to find a few

one would feel that this is another symptom of the race to the bottom in print journalism due to declining revenues etc. they can't even afford to retain a reliable proof reader, for the websites at least

thoughts?

as a sideline, this would apply to tv(RTE) as well. anyone who saw the RTE sportsperson of the year award will remember the cut to an ad break just as Katie Taylor was about to start her acceptance speech. I heard on the grapevine that it was because an inexperienced apprentice had been left, on their own, in charge of that function on the night.

across the board, the basics are slipping one would feel.

Prester Jim

looking at the indo website's front page now, there is at least 2 spelling errors, the gardai are marching in the new york saint partick's day parade and christy dignam is the lead singer of alsan

these typos and other similar errors seem to be increasing in prevalence on not only the indo but in the Irish times website as well. Anyone inclined to look on any given day will be sure to find a few

one would feel that this is another symptom of the race to the bottom in print journalism due to declining revenues etc. they can't even afford to retain a reliable proof reader, for the websites at least

thoughts?

as a sideline, this would apply to tv(RTE) as well. anyone who saw the RTE sportsperson of the year award will remember the cut to an ad break just as Katie Taylor was about to start her acceptance speech. I heard on the grapevine that it was because an inexperienced apprentice had been left, on their own, in charge of that function on the night.

across the board, the basics are slipping one would feel.
The Sindo doesn't fact check its articles at all. Spell check should come second to that IMHO.
They are a disgrace to journalism and newspapers and print whatever opinion they wake up with minus even a quick google search to confirm the tenor of their position.
If I produced work to the standard the Sindo journalists, columnists and editors do I wouldn't survive a day in my job.

Maximilian

I cannot believe that any newspaper website would allow such poor punctuation and lack of capitalisation of nouns in their online articles.

iago1709

There was a humdinger of a typo on the Guardian website this morning, something like 'China to cut down on red rape'! It's gone now though, the spoilsports...

Ulster-Lad

Are their spelling errors as blatant as your punctuation errors?

The RTE site has had some howlers of late including a caption to a photo which was on the lines of " X should of known better".

For me, the worst culprit is the Daily Mail. Practically every article there features major errors.

Perhaps that's the cost of having a media which is constantly being updated in real time.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Was it Muphry who threw stones in his glasshouse?

That said, I think that with the immediacy of news these days, journos and bloggers are in such a hurry to get articles on their sites, that they are slapped together sans a proper edit. The mentality being, "Sure we can always amend/fix it later."

I'm also of the opinion that there are very few journalists left in the business. It seems that most of these writers just re-hash, or even copy and paste press releases, without exploring the story. As Prester Jim pointed out above, in the Google age, where research tools are exponentially more accessible, it is difficult to understand the sheer laziness...or is it the contempt that they have for their readers?

rapparree

Are their spelling errors as blatant as your punctuation errors?
more so

in addition i am not a professional journalist and i am not paid for posting on this site and I am not professionally obligated to ensure 100% accuracy through proof reading.

my deliberate carelessness in posting has nothing to do with the op and no comparison is valid.

Last edited:

rapparree

Says the OP, who won't use capitals.
says the op who isnt a paid journalist who is supposed to ensure quality control in their output.

as i said before, my carelessness in posting has nothing to do with it

why do you post on this thread if you have no point to make apart from irrelevant smart arse commenting

are you one of the shoddy journalists?

jmcc

I'm also of the opinion that there are very few journalists left in the business. It seems that most of these writers just re-hash, or even copy and paste press releases, without exploring the story. As Prester Jim pointed out above, in the Google age, where research tools are exponentially more accessible, it is difficult to understand the sheer laziness...or is it the contempt that they have for their readers?
Real journalists refer to these people as "churnalists".

Last edited:

rapparree

Says the OP, who won't use capitals.
that is simply the way I post.

are you that much of an ignorant twat that you would draw a comparsion between the standards of an anonymous poster on a message board and a professional journalist who is supposed to do so routinely as a part of their job and then simply dismiss any valid points because of the comparison?

rapparree

Was it Muphry who threw stones in his glasshouse?

That said, I think that with the immediacy of news these days, journos and bloggers are in such a hurry to get articles on their sites, that they are slapped together sans a proper edit. The mentality being, "Sure we can always amend/fix it later."

once again, I am not a professional journalist.

I would be throwing stones in a glasshouse if i was criticizing the standards of other posters on this site

not professional journalists

jmcc

I would be throwing stones in a glasshouse if i was criticizing the standards of other posters on this site

So is it ok for me to criticise the churnalists and the "lifestyle" Polly Filler and Phil Space churnalists in the Irish tech press? Newspapers used to have sub-editors who would take care of spelling errors and phrasing. But they may have been dropped in cost-cutting moves.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

In fairness, I wasn't criticizing your grammar, just pointing out that it is a well known phenomenon.
I'm not Astral after all.

I did address your OP, by the way. Any thoughts?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
So is it ok for me to criticise the churnalists and the "lifestyle" Polly Filler and Phil Space churnalists in the Irish tech press? Newspapers used to have sub-editors who would take care of spelling errors and phrasing. But they may have been dropped in cost-cutting moves.
There's an app for that. ;)

rapparree

thats what I thought originally, cost cutting has let the standards drop

you can criticise anything you want, I just find it unfortunate people would focus on my rather haphazard manner of posting rather than the points made in the op.

rapparree

In fairness, I wasn't criticizing your grammar, just pointing out that it is a well known phenomenon.
I'm not Astral after all.

I did address your OP, by the way. Any thoughts?
I would agree 100% with what you say. i recently read flat earth news by Nick Davies which is a very good reference for this particular subject. he gave several examples of what you were talking about

e.g on one day the journalist( a trainee at a regional british tabloid) in question had put out 11 stories whilst being at his desk for 9 out of the 10 hours he was working that day and having spoke to no one face to face( 3 people over the telephone) in order to create the stories.

for the whole week(5 days) he had put out 48 stories, spoken to 26 people(only 4 face to face) and only spent 3 hours outside his office(out of 45.5 worked that week)

fewer journalists are having to maintain and even increase the level of output. I would say the problem lies in management demands rather than with the journalists themselves

Last edited:

jmcc

thats what I thought originally, cost cutting has let the standards drop
It is far worse than that. It is simply that the quality of expertise is not there.

you can criticise anything you want, I just find it unfortunate people would focus on my rather haphazard manner of posting rather than the points made in the op.
I have, in the past, criticised the particularly low quality of the Irish Times "technology" section in that it filled the section with clueless individuals with no real technology expertise or knowledge of the business of technology. This was a symptom of a greater malaise in Irish journalism where people who have't a clue were allowed to churn out rubbish as informed "commentary" (the Property Bubble for example) while news gathering and reporting was sacrificed as being too expensive.

greengoose2

I would agree 100% with what you say. i recently read flat earth news by Nick Davies which is a very good reference for this particular subject. he gave several examples of what you were talking about

e.g on one day the journalist( a trainee at a regional british tabloid) in question had put out 11 stories whilst being at his desk for 9 out of the 10 hours he was working that day and having spoke to no one face to face( 3 people over the telephone) in order to create the stories.
I find your drivel, written with many errors, as easy to understand as those articles with typos which you decry! Pot, kettle, glasshouses, stones, irony and waffle come to mind. Silly boy!