Pope Benedict: Condom Use Is Permissible ... sometimes.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Pope Benedict XVI says that condom use is acceptable "in certain cases", notably "to reduce the risk of infection" with HIV, in a book due out Tuesday, apparently softening his once hardline stance. Source

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Pope changes policy on AIDS?" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote_No_on_Everything

Pope Benedict XVI says that condom use is acceptable "in certain cases", notably "to reduce the risk of infection" with HIV, in a book due out Tuesday, apparently softening his once hardline stance. Source
Me thinks Bene is doing a promotion for Durex or perhaps the Vatican are launching their own brand, the Italians need a bailout too.

Last edited:

cry freedom

Welcome to the 19th century Benny!

Scipio

Given that Catholic Church's rate of change, we should see condom use being accepted for general use in about 600 years time.

Mondo

Jayz.

Sometimes????

The Padrayz afraid of contracting a dose of something and need a little dispensation?

Breadan O'Connor

A belated victory for comonsense.

I could never see why the Vatican oposed condoms, which only prevent the sperm and egg from uniting. Since sperm and egg on their own cannot form an embryo there is no question of destroying incipient human life.

Im glad to see he is belatedly recognising some benefits of reducing HIV also.

Superindigoman

Personally i dont give a damn what he thinks or says, he is the leader of an evil, corrupt, all for profit corporation that supports the most hideous of crimes and protects the villians.

blarney

Jayz.

Sometimes????

The Padrayz afraid of contracting a dose of something and need a little dispensation?
You wouldn't really imagine there's a high prevalence of HIV infection amongst 7 year olds though

NYCKY

Maybe its reverse psychology, given that noone really listens to him anymore.

jackryan

I remember reading the testimony of some poor lad who was abused by a Priest! He said that the priest well to put it politely going to do the business and the young chap (it was back in the 80s) said to him 'should you not wear a condom for safety?' the priest replied oh no thats against church teaching and continued what he was doing!!

One of the sickest things I ever read!!

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Given that Catholic Church's rate of change, we should see condom use being accepted for general use in about 600 years time.
That rapidly :shock2:

reknaw

For his stance on condoms, ordination of women, homosexuality and just about everything else, I hereby nominate Protector Of Paedophiles Everywhere Bentdicus XVI as "Man of the Year".:rolleyes:

The year 1310.:lol:

cricket

Who are those people on top of Croagh Patrick right now ?
It's the entire membership of Youth Defence about to engage in mass suicide !

Ingersoll

For his stance on condoms, ordination of women, homosexuality and just about everything else, I hereby nominate Protector Of Paedophiles Everywhere Bentdicus XVI as "Man of the Year".:rolleyes:

The year 1310.:lol:
+1

What a twat the pope is - how many people have died because his hateful, ignorant stance on condom use? The only demographic that pays any attention to the teachings of the RCC are unfortunate enough to live in counties with sub-standard health-care - it is both criminal and tragic.

readytogo

He's basing it on the principle of double effect. In his view condoms are a legitimate means of preventing HIV if preventing conception is but an unintented consequence of their use.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies