Pope Francis: There is no Hell.

Wascurito

Reports are emerging tonight that Pope Francis has cast doubt on the existence of Hell.

Now, I'm sure most of us will be aware that the teachings of most Christian Churches (including the Roman Catholic Church) affirm the realness of hell and its neverendingness. After death, the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, that is, "eternal fire."

Eleven years after the abolition of Limbo, has Hell also been abolished? Scripture says of those who inherit Saint Peter's role: whatever [they] bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever [they] loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Does this apply to Hell too?

Pope says no one goes to hell, sinners just 'disappear' - report

The Vatican is pushing back on the interview saying that the comments were the result of the interviewer's "reconstruction".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/03/29/did-pope-francis-say-there-no-hell-not-quite-vatican-insists/470442002/

Last edited:

gerhard dengler

Eugenio Scalfari.:roll:

edit : Scalfari is one of the founders of the newspaper carrying this "interview".
Scalfari is an atheist.

His "interview" technique includes not recording "interviews" with his subjects, and not taking notes of any of his "interviews".

Scalfari is 93 years old.

Last edited:

Wascurito

What? Unfortunate use of the word given he's Argentinian and lived through the era of the Generals
Not to mention that match on Tuesday night vs Spain. :lol:

EDIT:
I have to admit that I initially missed the subtle point that AFTP was making.

Last edited:

Mick Mac

Seems like they are throwing out the whole kitchen sink.

Sotired

I’m not saying anything until I read The Field Marshall’s views on this.

Edit: Apologies Sailor. Didn’t see your post. Snap!

Last edited:

owedtojoy

Reports are emerging tonight that Pope Francis has cast doubt on the existence of Hell.

Now, I'm sure most of us will be aware that the teachings of most Christian Churches (including the Roman Catholic Church) affirm the realness of hell and its neverendingness. After death, the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, that is, "eternal fire."

Eleven years after the abolition of Limbo, has Hell also been abolished? Scripture says of those who inherit Saint Peter's role: whatever [they] bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever [they] loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Well, I am an atheist/ agnostic, but I cannot really believe that people actually still think in terms of a medieval mythology of hell-fires and torture by demons. You may as well accept the pagan myth of Elysium and Hades, which has as much evidence. But evidence does not count in a matter of pure faith.

In my religious days, I thought of hell as total absence of love, a pointless life in a barren wasteland with no hope of ever meeting a loving God. The worst myth of all is the torture of Sisyphus, eternally pushing a big stone up a hill, only to have it always roll down the bottom. Imagine not even having the task of the stone. Is that not hell enough?

So Pope Francis is not denying any dogma - he may be just saying that mythology may be ok to scare children, but the real hell is probably a scarier and more painful place than we would possibly imagine. If you believe it exists, of course. ;)

Sotired

Not a religion-believing cell in my body.

But, this bloke seems hell-bent on undoing and undermining a whole lot of very basic sh1t.

Something stinks.

NYCKY

Whats next to go? Purgatory.

Anyway, I read somewhere, maybe it was even here on p.ie, that Pope Francis, is not like, even a real Pope, that he is a fake Pope or an interloper Pope if you will. Maybe it's fake news though.

fifilawe

Not a religion-believing cell in my body.

But, this bloke seems hell-bent on undoing and undermining a whole lot of very basic sh1t.

Something stinks.
Is he the False Pope that Nostadamus was predicting?
That will be a field day for the conspiracy nutters "Is he the Anti-Christ" that would lead the people away from the real Christian message?
David Icke , Alex Jones will be on fire when they read this in their morning newspaper/ online

Half Nelson

Is there a Zoo Hell for really, really bad threads?

Goa Tse

If he doesn't believe in hell he's clearly never had a job in sales.

Sotired

Not questionning Frannie’s undisputed infallibilty or anything, or indeed everything.

Not much.

But, I firmly believe, and have had affirmed for me, on an almost daily basis, for way too many years, that, as Jean-Paul Sartre once said, “Hell is other people”.

So, in my view, The Pope is Wrong.

Very Wrong.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies