• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Pope Going to Prison.

Radix

Just now confrmed on News at One, Pope Francis to go to prison on Holy Thursday, which will please many people as he redefines Vatican tradition. Apparently he will wash the feet of the prisoners as Pope, but even while Bishop of Buenos Aires he washed the feet of Aids sufferers. He has gained the nickname 'The People's Pope' for his laid back, loving approach to his flock.

It will also be the first Papal Holy Thursday service held outside the Vatican and the Bishop of Rome's cathedral

This guy is a breath of fresh air!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2297020/Pope-Francis-ditches-St-Peter-s-Basilica-hold-Holy-Thursday-mass-youth-prison-wash-kiss-12-inmates-FEET.html

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9:20175001:0::

Last edited:

the secretary

Just now confrmed on News at One, Pope to go to prison on Holy Thursday, which will please many people as he redefines tradition.

Apparently he will wash the feet of the prisoners.

Good on him.
Lead by example.
I know whats gona come up next on this thread tho...

dizillusioned

Just now confrmed on News at One, Pope to go to prison on Holy Thursday, which will please many people as he redefines tradition.

Well at least the prison will smell better.

Good for him.

Hitch 22

Sense 0f Wonder

What a misleading title... I naturally assumed that Benedict had made a real-world confession regarding the numerous cover ups at the Vatican. Too easy to go down that road though...

If the new head of the RCC continues to show humility --and challenge broadly accepted social hierarchies-- like this and encourages a worldwide transformation in the personality of the church, then that can't be a bad thing (founding myths and all aside). A hatred of this world and of the multiplicities and possibilities of human life may be built into Catholic thinking, but if they learn to behave as though they cherish it in all its forms and learn to treat all as equals, then "the Good" wins out.

And say what you like about religious leaders --and believe me, I have probably said it myself-- it may be instructive to throw up a quick juxtaposition with a much-loved secular leader: Can you imagine the saintly Obama doing such a thing?

gerhard dengler

Pope John XXIII visited Rome prisons not long after he became Pontiff too.

Analyzer

I can see the headline in tomorrow's Daily Mail

Pope goes to prison, while Shameless Seanie goes to 700 Euro a ticket celebrity, high end bash in posh hotel in London.

elliebee

Arra will you have a tither of wit!. Folk are being taken in by this in a similar way to visitors to the Magdaline laundaries.
Those will be the cleanest feet in Italy on Holy Thursday. I'd rather see the man taking a walk around the streets of Rome and bring a few lonely hungry people back to his 'palace' for the Christmas period.

I don't buy into all this sympathy for the poor. If it really bothered him that much, the wealth he is surrounded by would come between him and his nights sleep.

Washing feet - a bit of a joke really.

Radix

Pope John XXIII visited Rome prisons not long after he became Pontiff too.

John Paul II visited and forgave the man who shot and nearly killed him, Mehmet Ali Agah I think his name was.

People do remember these things, even those whose spirits dulled by cynicism, are affected positively.

To my cynical mind, which has become so because of the emptiness of a political world devoid of meaningful principle, I and people like me, instinctively realise that the last thing any normal 77 year old wants to take on, (never mind with one lung), is the workload of someone half his age, and the problems of a Church which has become jaded and dated.

What we have seen from Francis is not natural, it is supernatural, bless him.

stopdoingstuff

Will he shake the hands of the gay prisioners or just the straight ones?
The Pope does not have a hatred of homosexuals.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/world/americas/pope-francis-old-colleagues-recall-pragmatic-streak.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1&
“He listened to my views with a great deal of respect,” said Marcelo Márquez, a gay rights leader and theologian who wrote a tough letter to Cardinal Bergoglio and, to his surprise, received a call from him less than an hour after it was delivered. “He told me that homosexuals need to have recognized rights and that he supported civil unions, but not same-sex marriage.”

Mr. Márquez said he went on to meet twice with Cardinal Bergoglio, telling him of his plan to marry his partner and discussing theology. The man who would become pope gave him a copy of his biography, “The Jesuit.”

LamportsEdge

Odd- if that sort of effect was had by some reality TV dupe then the scoffing would be palpable.

I'm beginning to see how little it takes for the already convinced to be re-born:)

stopdoingstuff

Odd- if that sort of effect was had by some reality TV dupe then the scoffing would be palpable.

I'm beginning to see how little it takes for the already convinced to be re-born:)
You should get on board. I hear the pension plan is marvellous.

Radix

If this carry-on continues, I may start going to mass again.

Interesting you say that, because already this has been said by others.

If you listen to the audio link I've added from RTE Radio 1, the guy who broke this story said his taxi driver reported the same testament from the Romans.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies