Pope to allow priests to forgive sin of abortion.

O

Oscurito

Pope Francis has announced that priests will henceforth be allowed to directly give absolution in confession for the sin of procuring an abortion. In reality, they've had that power for almost a year during the just completed Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy that started on December 8th last year. This announcement extends that power for the foreseeable future.

Abortion was previously regarded as one of the "reserved sins" - considered so serious that an ordinary priest did not have the authority to forgive them. The person seeking penance must go to a higher ecclesiastical authority such as a Bishop (or even the Holy See itself) to obtain absolution.

In the context of controversies that have dogged the Church for decades now, it's notable that the sin of sexually abusing a child was and still is not considered to be a "reserved sin". It can be forgiven directly by an ordinary priest.

RTÉ News: Pope extends power to forgive abortion to priests

Last edited:

Polly Ticks

"extends power" no less...

"not like that. just like that." (in Tommy Cooper voice)

how humble

"Pope modifies contract between church and flock" would be more accurate.

Accidental sock

If I knew Priests couldn't absolve all my sins, I wouldn't have tried so hard making them up when I was preparing for my first confession...

petaljam

Pope Francis has announced that priests will henceforth be allowed to directly give absolution in confession for the sin of procuring an abortion. In reality, they've had that power for almost a year during the just completed Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy that started on December 8th last year. This announcement extends that power for the foreseeable future.

Abortion was previously regarded as one of the "reserved sins" - considered so serious that an ordinary priest did not have the authority to forgive them. The person seeking penance must go to a higher ecclesiastical authority such as a Bishop (or even the Holy See itself) to obtain absolution.
One thing one has to grant the Catholic Church is that they do -albeit usually reluctantly and often belatedly - know how to move with the times. Everlasting perhaps but not unchanging.

Basically I think Francis is in the process of recognizing that as with contraception, the battles for control over their flocks' sex lives using abortion and divorce have been lost, and he's trying to give in gracefully. Not all his fellow church men are helping him - but just as the rearguard action against contraception did more harm to the church than to anyone else, if he doesn't win the struggle for power within the Vatican, this will surely go the same way.

In the context of controversies that have dogged the Church for decades now, it's notable that the sin of sexually abusing a child was and still is not considered to be a "reserved sin". It can be forgiven directly by an ordinary priest.

RTÉ News: Pope extends power to forgive abortion to priests
Indeed. What is there to say? :mad:
Other than that it proves that their real agenda is not about doing good, nor even preventing harm, it's purely a question of control.

O

Oscurito

One thing one has to grant the Catholic Church is that they do -albeit usually reluctantly and often belatedly - know how to move with the times. Everlasting perhaps but not unchanging.

Basically I think Francis is in the process of recognizing that as with contraception, the battles for control over their flocks' sex lives using abortion and divorce have been lost, and he's trying to give in gracefully. Not all his fellow church men are helping him - but just as the rearguard action against contraception did more harm to the church than to anyone else, if he doesn't win the struggle for power within the Vatican, this will surely go the same way.

Indeed. What is there to say? :mad:
Other than that it proves that their real agenda is not about doing good, nor even preventing harm, it's purely a question of control.
Their position on pregnancy termination has ebbed and flowed back and forth over the centuries. At this point, it's still the most strict it ever was but this may be a sign of another era of ebbing.

GDPR

Their position on pregnancy termination has ebbed and flowed back and forth over the centuries. At this point, it's still the most strict it ever was but this may be a sign of another era of ebbing.
Abortion was always regarded as an incredibly grave sin; the position on when the human spirit enters the pregnancy has ebbed and flowed but what a lot of the "Repeal the 8 th" crowd want has always been regarded as infanticide.

Minority

I remember the stress of having to come up with a few sins to tell priest - most of them didn't happen so I was lying at my confession. Perhaps I should go back and confess that one..... In this day and age, how any parent could put their child through that nonsense in beyond me
If I knew Priests couldn't absolve all my sins, I wouldn't have tried so hard making them up when I was preparing for my first confession...

Accidental sock

Does a Priest have the necessary authority to forgive me if, when a kids calls to the door looking for sponsorship, I slap my pockets and say "Sorry I've no cash on me"

...even though my wallet's in my coat

....asking for a friend

Accidental sock

I remember the stress of having to come up with a few sins to tell priest - most of them didn't happen so I was lying at my confession. Perhaps I should go back and confess that one..... In this day and age, how any parent could put their child through that nonsense in beyond me
" I kicked, I spat, I fought, I pulled hair.......

.....I was in Dealey plaza in 1963 with a high powered rifle

....Damn, you heard NOTHING!"

Half Nelson

It's hilarious to watch all the supposed 'non-Catholics' getting their knickers in a twist over something the leader of the Catholic Church said to Catholics. :D

G'way and get a life!

PBP voter

Isn't it very generous of him :roll:
If you don't like the rules don't be a member.

The rules of the Catholic church are no business of non-Catholics.

making waves

If you don't like the rules don't be a member.

The rules of the Catholic church are no business of non-Catholics.
Neither does the Catholic Church have the right to impose its dogma on those who are not Catholics.

PBP voter

Neither does the Catholic Church have the right to impose its dogma on those who are not Catholics.
They don't. Sovereign elected Governments do. That is why we had so much Catholic influence in this state. The vast majority wanted it.

Half Nelson

D'oh! It doesn't, except in your paranoid little head.

It doesn't even "impose" its dogma on Catholics.

O

Oscurito

This is a very interesting article on the way in which the Church's attitude to abortion has changed over the centuries.

Historical abortion beliefs of the Christian church

Abortion was considered a far less serious sin than oral or anal sex or practicing birth control.

Also, for centuries, the termination of a pregnancy was only considered to be the destruction of a life if the soul had already entered the foetus. In the early stages of pregnancy, the foetus was not considered to have a soul.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies