Pope to allow priests to forgive sin of abortion.

Accidental sock

It's hilarious to watch all the supposed 'non-Catholics' getting their knickers in a twist over something the leader of the Catholic Church said to Catholics. :D

G'way and get a life!
Ahh...no offense meant.

For me it's like watching the walking events in the Olympics........I couldn't do it,...haven't the fortitude.... but it does look a bit silly.

GDPR

Neither does the Catholic Church have the right to impose its dogma on those who are not Catholics.
If MI6 run non-entities like the Trots have a right to put forward their diseased ideas, then the Catholic Church has every right to use its influence to save the lives of children from the abortion mongers,

Half Nelson

Ahh...no offense meant.

For me it's like watching the walking events in the Olympics........I couldn't do it,...haven't the fortitude.... but it does look a bit silly.
:D I'm not at all offended. Your contributions are mildly amusing, but not in a 'laughing-with-you' sense.

Blokesbloke

If I knew Priests couldn't absolve all my sins, I wouldn't have tried so hard making them up when I was preparing for my first confession...
You were such a good lad you had to make some up eh?

Jaysus!

O

Oscurito

I see that no-one** is biting the abortion-is-far-more-serious-than-child-sex-abuse line.

**least of all, the in-house conservatives

petaljam

You were such a good lad you had to make some up eh?

Jaysus!
I assumed you were brought up Catholic, BB? Now I know you weren't- we all had to lie in confession, everyone I know anyway : what sins does a seven year old have?

Once you'd been the first couple of times, you'd used up your quota and since confession was meant to help you stop committing sins, it'd be poor form to come back week after week with the same terribly minor transgressions - and quite often you hadn't even had a chance to commit some of the worthwhile ones in the meantime. So we all made some up. Basically we learned to lie in confession. :)

petaljam

I see that no-one** is biting the abortion-is-far-more-serious-than-child-sex-abuse line.

**least of all, the in-house conservatives
No, but on the plus side we've had Pope Francis isn't a Catholic. So that's nice. :lol:
(I'm thinking of making a satanist bingo card specially for reading posts from the ultra-Catholics on here. They're hilarious.)

Skypeme

Does a Priest have the necessary authority to forgive me if, when a kids calls to the door looking for sponsorship, I slap my pockets and say "Sorry I've no cash on me"

...even though my wallet's in my coat

....asking for a friend
It doen't take a priest to figure out that your friend is a mean ba$****, tell him/her to give the kid a couple of yoyos, FFS.

Catalpast

I assumed you were brought up Catholic, BB? Now I know you weren't- we all had to lie in confession, everyone I know anyway : what sins does a seven year old have?

Once you'd been the first couple of times, you'd used up your quota and since confession was meant to help you stop committing sins, it'd be poor form to come back week after week with the same terribly minor transgressions - and quite often you hadn't even had a chance to commit some of the worthwhile ones in the meantime. So we all made some up. Basically we learned to lie in confession. :)
Speak for yourself!

To lie in the Confession Box is a Mortal Sin

- and yet you lied....:shock2:

talkingshop

Pope Francis has announced that priests will henceforth be allowed to directly give absolution in confession for the sin of procuring an abortion. In reality, they've had that power for almost a year during the just completed Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy that started on December 8th last year. This announcement extends that power for the foreseeable future.

Abortion was previously regarded as one of the "reserved sins" - considered so serious that an ordinary priest did not have the authority to forgive them. The person seeking penance must go to a higher ecclesiastical authority such as a Bishop (or even the Holy See itself) to obtain absolution.

In the context of controversies that have dogged the Church for decades now, it's notable that the sin of sexually abusing a child was and still is not considered to be a "reserved sin". It can be forgiven directly by an ordinary priest.

RTÉ News: Pope extends power to forgive abortion to priests
About time - a ridiculous rule - I presume murder can be forgiven by a priest.

O

Oscurito

About time - a ridiculous rule - I presume murder can be forgiven by a priest.
Oh, I think so. These "reserved sins" seem to be a lot more about not showing due regard to Church authority than actual committing of serious acts of evil.

Skypeme

Speak for yourself!

To lie in the Confession Box is a Mortal Sin

- and yet you lied....:shock2:
Looks like petal is in a bit of a jam now. Sackcloth and ashes and no modding for a month and 24 Hail Marys at least I expect.

New Threads

Top Bottom