Pope to allow priests to forgive sin of abortion.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Pope Francis has announced that priests will henceforth be allowed to directly give absolution in confession for the sin of procuring an abortion. In reality, they've had that power for almost a year during the just completed Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy that started on December 8th last year. This announcement extends that power for the foreseeable future.

Abortion was previously regarded as one of the "reserved sins" - considered so serious that an ordinary priest did not have the authority to forgive them. The person seeking penance must go to a higher ecclesiastical authority such as a Bishop (or even the Holy See itself) to obtain absolution.

In the context of controversies that have dogged the Church for decades now, it's notable that the sin of sexually abusing a child was and still is not considered to be a "reserved sin". It can be forgiven directly by an ordinary priest.

RTÉ News: Pope extends power to forgive abortion to priests

Didn't the late JC die so that all sins (past, present and future) were forgiven?

Thus don't RC church priests forgive all sins during confession? Or does the RC church reserve the right to keep some sins on the books?

petaljam

Oh, I think so. These "reserved sins" seem to be a lot more about not showing due regard to Church authority than actual committing of serious acts of evil.
Like seven year olds making up sins so as to have something to confess - who knew we were all committing mortallers? So when I told the priest I'd been mean to my little brother when I hadn't (or not within the previous week anyway!) that was as bad as if I'd murdered him! :rolleyes:

Skypeme

Didn't the late JC die so that all sins (past, present and future) were forgiven?

Thus don't RC church priests forgive all sins during confession? Or does the RC church reserve the right to keep some sins on the books?
Are you enquiring on behalf of a friend, Dimples?

Accidental sock

John Cleese has died????

Hunter-Gatherer

the clergy can forgive us an abortion or two. Will we forgive the clergy for paedophilia, or the Crusades or the conquistadors ?

petaljam

Speak for yourself!

To lie in the Confession Box is a Mortal Sin

- and yet you lied....:shock2:
I wouldn't have had anything to say otherwise. Seriously. And nobody ever told me could just say you'd been well behaved all week - for some reason that wasn't an option suggested to us. And yet I very often had. But then I was a good child. :)

I mean. What sins did you commit every single week between a Sunday morning and the following Saturday afternoon when you were seven or eight years old? Or were you such a bold child you had new ones to tell every time? :lol:

petaljam

That word takes me back...
(I only learned it when I was a lot older, when I started hanging around with the boys from the College - it was always related to sex afaicr. Certainly the boys all seemed to be very familiar with the various definitions, more than I had been before that.

At seven the only mortal sins I knew about were murder and divorce and the like. And they didn't really concern me, TBH. ;) )

O

Oscurito

He died so that they may be forgiven.

All sins can still be forgiven but not all can be forgiven by going to a priest. For some sins, one needs to go to a higher church authority.

O

Oscurito

Like seven year olds making up sins so as to have something to confess - who knew we were all committing mortallers? So when I told the priest I'd been mean to my little brother when I hadn't (or not within the previous week anyway!) that was as bad as if I'd murdered him! :rolleyes:
I remember being told by an elderly person that if one deliberately neglected to confess a sin at the first opportunity (i.e. in confession) and then subsequently forgot, that was as serious as a mortal sin.

It gives a brief insight into the dark and fear-filled world that was pre-Vatican II.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
He died so that they may be forgiven.

All sins can still be forgiven but not all can be forgiven by going to a priest. For some sins, one needs to go to a higher church authority.

This is probably a RC v Prod thing, but we Prods don't need to rely on any church official for the forgiveness of sins. We deal straight with the man himself, which cuts out the middlemen. The RCs must have some sort of a guide as to which of their layers of middlemen have to get involved to supposedly forgive sinners, depending on what sort of sin was involved.

The late JC paid the price of all of that sin, and we don't need some human to intercede in seeking forgiveness.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I wouldn't have had anything to say otherwise. Seriously. And nobody ever told me could just say you'd been well behaved all week - for some reason that wasn't an option suggested to us. And yet I very often had. But then I was a good child. :)

I mean. That sins did you commit every single week between a Sunday morning and the following Saturday afternoon when you were seven or eight years old? Or were you such a bold child you had new ones to tell every time? :lol:
Did the priest expect you to confess to some sin?

If so then that in itself shows how stupid having priests involved in the process is.

What exactly is the point of kids having to make something up, so that the priest is happy with his statistics?

rgaok

It's hilarious to watch all the supposed 'non-Catholics' getting their knickers in a twist over something the leader of the Catholic Church said to Catholics. :D

G'way and get a life!
Just amusing how the so-called "Infallible" pope can move with the times.

rgaok

Abortion is a sin/it isn't a sin. Limbo exists/it doesn't exist. There is Hell/there isn't a hell. Missing Sunday mass is a sin/it isn't a sin? you can go on Saturday. etcetc

New Threads

Top Bottom