Pope visit, your reasons for not attending.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
For somebody who claims not to give a damm about religion, popes etc you sure spend an awful lot of time talking about the subject.
1,000 years of bullsh*t and resulting national psychosis tends to capture the attention.

stakerwallace

I was in Bella Italia at the time

The Field Marshal

1,000 years of bullsh*t and resulting national psychosis tends to capture the attention.
If you are psychotic, which on the evidence is highly likely, then you should seek treatment.

Conor_Myers

Five reasons why there were so many no-shows for the Papal Mass

"Estimates were that less than 200,000 were in attendance on Sunday afternoon, around a sixth of the number who were there for Pope John Paul II in 1979."

So was it:

1. Weather
2. The Long Walk
3. Too Many Tickets
4. Child Abuse Scandal
5. Croker the Night Before.
A combination of the weather, the relentless negative media coverage in the run up to the visit and the hysterical hyping up of marathon scale walking, probability of death, likelihood of requirement for intensive care levels of medical support that suggested only those with Olympian fitness levels were likely to make it out of the park unscathed.

The list is missing a couple of key factors I'd say.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I heard there was a rumour put around at the last minute that there wouldn't be any priests or nuns at it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bet there were lots of sh*tty plastic popes on sale for monster-dollars though.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Limited Edition. Everywhere except the Daily Mail Sunday Magazine. Only 900,000 of them in the UK.

I recall doing some work for a clearing bank many years back and noticing a shedload of £1.00 credits going through the system on a Sunday night- thousands of them. I became somewhat concerned that something wasn't right as these were all cheques.

Rang up the boss and asked him to take a look at the screen. He said it was normal, that it was just other banks sending through all the cheques for a deposit on these Sunday magazine offers.

I couldn't believe anyone bought such tat. But there were thousands of people doing it.

Casablanca

Certainly a shortage of nuns, which has the Irish media worrying about the front pages for the next general election.

But the truth is - there were no badgers. Plenty of Squirrels, but no rhubarb and no badgers.
I don’t want to read too much into that, other than from a theological perspective it clearly demonstrates the Lords favour shines on the blessed squirel and that badgers and rhubarb are an abomination in his eyes. It follows that badgers and rhubarb, as well as those that support or harbour them should be purged(easily done with rhubarb).

Cruimh

Limited Edition. Everywhere except the Daily Mail Sunday Magazine. Only 900,000 of them in the UK.

I recall doing some work for a clearing bank many years back and noticing a shedload of £1.00 credits going through the system on a Sunday night- thousands of them. I became somewhat concerned that something wasn't right as these were all cheques.

Rang up the boss and asked him to take a look at the screen. He said it was normal, that it was just other banks sending through all the cheques for a deposit on these Sunday magazine offers.

I couldn't believe anyone bought such tat. But there were thousands of people doing it.
The Glory Days of Journalism.

No house was without a News of the World (A.K.A. The Sunday Stiffener) and/or the People (A.K.A. The Hoor's Gazette)

petaljam

I won't go because I don't support CC.

Others won't be able to go because the logistics are so difficult.

Why will you go or not go?
Back to the OP, I'm not sure if the final numbers who did go have been discussed yet - seems it took a Freedom of Information request to the OPW to force them to issue the figures : just under 152 000 including the "active" participants, the choirs and so on.

Erudite Caveman

Back to the OP, I'm not sure if the final numbers who did go have been discussed yet - seems it took a Freedom of Information request to the OPW to force them to issue the figures : just under 152 000 including the "active" participants, the choirs and so on.
So, something like a sh1te Elton John concert in Latin America.

Half Nelson

The scare tactics worked.

It should concern everybody that several organs of the state and most of the media simultaneously took to scaremongering around a religious event.

Such levels of collaboration will eventually affect all those who oppose the government.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies