Poppy : Northern Ireland

McSlaggart

"If the poppy was simply about World War One and Two victims alone, I'd wear it without a problem.

"I would wear it every day of the year if that was the thing but it doesn't, it stands for all the conflicts that Britain has been involved in. Because of the history where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that."

The truth is that the wearing of the poppy in Tyrone is now a very much only worn in public by a tiny percentage of the population. I know of only one shop that actually sells the poppy. May I suggest that the people who support the poppy take a good hard look at the event that the run on that day and consider how insulting it is for many of the people who they are supposed to be remembering.

recedite

In the Republic, it's not sold in any shops, and its not worn in public at all. Is that what you want for NI too?
That doesn't mean people stop buying poppies though. It just means they have to keep a low profile.
The legion aids between 37,000 and 42,000 ex-service people and/or their dependents in the Republic. The size of this figure may surprise a lot of people, but there is a tradition stretching back centuries of the Irish in the British armed forces even after Irish independence

recedite

May I suggest that the people who support the poppy take a good hard look at the event that the run on that day and consider how insulting it is for many of the people who they are supposed to be remembering.
The muslim women shown in your link take a different view...
Student Tabinda-Kauser Ishaq designed the poppy hijab to appeal to the many British Muslims who mark Remembrance Sunday. She also wanted to raise awareness of the 400,000 Muslim soldiers and 1.2 million Indian soldiers who fought alongside British troops in World War One. Sughra Ahmed, president of the Islamic Society of Britain. said that the poppy hijab was a way "for ordinary Muslim citizens to take some attention away from extremists who seem to grab the headlines."
Each to their own. Nobody is forcing you to wear a poppy, so stop trying to intimidate other people into stopping the practice.

McSlaggart

The muslim women shown in your link take a different view...

Each to their own. Nobody is forcing you to wear a poppy, so stop trying to intimidate other people into stopping the practice.
? It may strike you as strange but its unionism that is in the process of totally making the poppy their own wee symbol.

Many a person who once served in the British army are not comfortable at the way unionism has appropriated British military service.

death or glory

1572785584985.jpeg

Unionists have destroyed the original meaning of the poppy and made it a symbol of supremacy.
The UVF were part of the British army that played a vital part in the battle of the Somme.
We will remember them.

McSlaggart

The UVF were part of the British army that played a vital part in the battle of the Somme.
We will remember them.

"all means which may be found necessary to defeat the present conspiracy to set up a Home Rule Parliament in Ireland"

Yet you claim not to support terrorism?????

death or glory

"all means which may be found necessary to defeat the present conspiracy to set up a Home Rule Parliament in Ireland"

Yet you claim not to support terrorism?????
Ulster will fight and Ulster will be right

We will remember them.

enuffisenuff

clowns on both sides will choose to use the poppy to represent whatever agenda they want to push.... usual BS... they can all fk right off....

Mickeymac

In the Republic, it's not sold in any shops, and its not worn in public at all. Is that what you want for NI too?
That doesn't mean people stop buying poppies though. It just means they have to keep a low profile.

Most offences are of a serious nature including sexual.

death or glory

You mean the 36th (Ulster) Division? Not much of a historian are you?
I never claimed to be a historian, and anyhow you should have figured that saying I am so witty and interesting.

Talk Back

Arlene is only wearing this poppy because she couldn't get a bigger one.

Hahahahahaha

2S9t6I.png

EnglishObserver

For those who reject the poppy - what about those Irish Catholics who fought and died for The UK, especially in WWI and WWII - thousands of them. Do they not merit remembrance?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies