Popular Budget cut

realistic1

We have all heard the many suggestions from Politicians, journalists, business leaders etc. on what cuts should be implemented in the forthcoming budget, but there is one obvious cut which a lot of these elites have failed to mention and that is; the Irish States financial support given to Private secondary schools. If financial support was removed it would be supported by a majority of the population, but these cuts are not being suggested because the Elites of this country are benefiting from it. We all know that a majority of the top graduates in medicine and Law are coming from these private schools and the Irish Taxpayer is subsidising there education. This removal of State financial support should be on the top of any list of budgetary cuts.

eoghanacht

Scrap the Presidency
The Senad
Half the number of TD's .
Cut their salary, including their ludicrous exspenses
Sell the Gov jet.
Do away with Gardai drivers for ministers and ex-taoisigh. A normal driver would suffice or better yet make them get public transport!
Reduce the salary of the heads of Gov bodies etc, do away with quango's.
Then and only then go after the most vunerable in society

Oldira1

We have all heard the many suggestions from Politicians, journalists, business leaders etc. on what cuts should be implemented in the forthcoming budget, but there is one obvious cut which a lot of these elites have failed to mention and that is; the Irish States financial support given to Private secondary schools. If financial support was removed it would be supported by a majority of the population, but these cuts are not being suggested because the Elites of this country are benefiting from it. We all know that a majority of the top graduates in medicine and Law are coming from these private schools and the Irish Taxpayer is subsidising there education. This removal of State financial support should be on the top of any list of budgetary cuts.
Totally agree. The fact that 8 of our 9 Supreme Court justices were educated in private schools suggests that there is a circle of elites.

goosebump

Why don't we just take all the wealthy people in the country out into a field and shoot them?

All our problems would be over.

dresden8

Why don't we just take all the wealthy people in the country out into a field and shoot them?

I don't think removing a subsidy to private education is akin to shooting people.

You FF goons are getting hysterical.

adamirer

Remove the child benefit from anyone on more than 70k (once that happens expect the threshold to slowly be eaten away). What the tories did yesterday was ballsy and you cant imagine an Irish Gov doing it (though the Tories didnt announce that before the GE!!!)

Sean Healy did have one half decent idea that I would personally hate but had some merit, reducing the tax free credit on pensions from 41% to 20%. If they did that they can codify the f******g levies into the simple income tax band and stop pretending they're fooling anyone.

Hitting the PS (again!!!) would be popular with everyone else, though doing it on top of taking away child benefits and the pension edits would cripple most families with parents under age of 45.

Most popular? no more money to NIB or Anglo.

nonpartyboy

The middle/working class in this country subsidise the welfarites and the establishment, this has always been the way, all these little scams , schemes , allowances , exemptions , reliefs should all be scrapped. It would free up thousands of civil servants if nothing else.

Oldira1

I am sure a left wing party like Labour will have no problem in supporting such a measure.

libertarian-right

STATE FUNDING for fee-paying schools appears secure for the foreseeable future after Minister for Education Mary Coughlan ruled out any change in current arrangements.

The issue has been controversial because of the Government’s €100 million support for fee-paying schools, while the most recent enrolment figures suggest continued strong demand from parents for places in this sector.

Ms Coughlan said she regarded the issue as settled and she had no plans to change current funding arrangements.
Minister rules out changes to funding private schools - The Irish Times - Sat, May 01, 2010

Mary is on the case...

realistic1

Not suggesting that but why should the education of the wealthy be subsidised by the tax payer?

realistic1

I am sure a left wing party like Labour will have no problem in supporting such a measure.
I dont think Labour will support this measure, as some prominent Labour party members have there children in these private schools.

eoghanacht

Private schools?

Surely you jest.
Obviously not, i mean those reliant on welfare. Cuts will have to be made i know but i'd actually like to see us all share the pain and not just focus on one area.

Oldira1

I dont think Labour will support this measure, as some prominent Labour party members have there children in these private schools.
Actually I was being sarcastic! Even if Labour ever did support it their Fine Gael masters would kill the idea.

Maximus Cynicus

As opposed to the preferred government option of taking all the people on social welfare, on hospital trolleys, pensioners et al out into a field and shooting them?

culmore

cuts have to come from the top, one man one job, no more jobs for pensioners, if they want to work NO PENSION . no retired teachers back doing a few days, plenty of Graduates out of work, no more retired Gardai supervision exams etc, plenty of room for cuts without hitting the ordinary people

controller

Seriously, if you were a FF Minister, you are going to get:
• T.D.s pension
• Ministers Pension (what other job gives you an extra pension after you get promoted?)
• Appointed to a number of Quangos
• Garda drivers (who will also drive your wife to the shop)
• Loads & loads of expenses

Would you give a sh*t about ordinary people???

nonpartyboy

Not suggesting that but why should the education of the wealthy be subsidised by the tax payer?
Because you should know your place in the republic, I'm mean next you'll want to be a consultant or barrister or even a high court judge , the horror of it all..........

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies