Portland bakery refuses to serve African American woman, who'd have thunk that pastries would be the front line....

Emily Davison

The two employees created the appearance of racial bias with what they did whether they meant it or not, and violated company policy doing so regarding closing rules regardless of anyone's race or other factor.

That said, the black woman took it as such and happens to work in a field that addresses such things and went public about it. That's again why you have to mind how you conduct your business as an owner and employees...you don't know who is entering your doors.

As stated in my last post, the bakery did in fact get sucked into the drama and theatrics of being accused of being a racist bakery in an effort to quash it, including virtue signalling. That in turn brought in the 'Alt-Right' scum to troll the situation. They should have done what I said in that post for handling these soapbox drama PR problems.

One thing not mentioned, maybe you did, you don’t bloody well tell a late customer it’s too late if you want to convey a positive attitude to customers, selling a cake or coffee is zero in the context of cleaning up. Retail is selling. It’s the whole point. Of the business. I can’t recall how many last pints for the road I had to serve myself. Otherwise my mother would have been out of business. Closing hour being a moving target because laws meant nothing. Stick to the law and you’d have no custom. Depending on where you were in Ireland, of course.

Emily Davison

You've got to "Love" Trumps America!

Trump!

- Fires people like they were confetti.

- Who believes in zero rights for workers

- in the context of this thread, hilarious. He built an apartment block, that, somehow, only had white people!

O'Sullivan Bere

One thing not mentioned, maybe you did, you don’t bloody well tell a late customer it’s too late if you want to convey a positive attitude to customers, selling a cake or coffee is zero in the context of cleaning up. Retail is selling. It’s the whole point. Of the business. I can’t recall how many last pints for the road I had to serve myself. Otherwise my mother would have been out of business. Closing hour being a moving target because laws meant nothing. Stick to the law and you’d have no custom. Depending on where you were in Ireland, of course.
Absolutely, and I mentioned that before including common closing practices like the one the bakery used that is along the same lines as your family's pub.

As an owner of businesses and a firm myself, I'd be livid at any employee looking to bail out on a customer like that so they can get home quicker although still on the clock for customers per policy.

That customer's money goes in my till, end of. Business is open until I say it's not. I pay employees for that service.

If the employees had done what they were supposed to do regarding handling closing time, the bakery would have made the money with none of this hubbub. Worse, the black woman went there on a recommendation. Instead the bakery gets this bad PR.

Customer recommendations and company 'good will' s essential for bringing in customers and a bad reputation puts you out of business.

Emily Davison

Absolutely, and I mentioned that before including common closing practices like the one the bakery used that is along the same lines as your family's pub.

As an owner of businesses and a firm myself, I'd be livid at any employee looking to bail out on a customer like that so they can get home quicker although still on the clock for customers per policy.

That customer's money goes in my till, end of. Business is open until I say it's not. I pay employees for that service.

If the employees had done what they were supposed to do regarding handling closing time, the bakery would have made the money with none of this hubbub. Worse, the black woman went there on a recommendation. Instead the bakery gets this bad PR.

Customer recommendations and company 'good will' s essential for bringing in customers and a bad reputation puts you out of business.

This thread is not the place but I’ve grave concerns about American work practices. When I was young in America working there didn’t phase me, I’d no concern for the rules as I was making good money knowing I wouldn’t be there long. I didn’t even realize what little rights employees have.

My last visit, as a holiday maker, I found it disconcerting elderly men packing groceries.

stopdoingstuff

This thread is not the place but I’ve grave concerns about American work practices. When I was young in America working there didn’t phase me, I’d no concern for the rules as I was making good money knowing I wouldn’t be there long. I didn’t even realize what little rights employees have.

My last visit, as a holiday maker, I found it disconcerting elderly men packing groceries.
If you really want savage, check out the poor fkrs who work in the Amazon delivery facilities. Dickensian.

Fritzbox

But were the 2 sacked employees being paid to actually work past 9:00 pm. Was it actually company policy to make sure the shop was closed at 9:00 pm and not to be accepting more orders after that time. Were the sacked staff only following their orders and doing what they were paid to do, or were they not?

Emily Davison

If you really want savage, check out the poor fkrs who work in the Amazon delivery facilities. Dickensian.
I’ve heard about it. Timed for everything. Via electronics. Humans as robots. And treated as such.

Jezza15

The two employees created the appearance of racial bias with what they did whether they meant it or not, and violated company policy doing so regarding closing rules regardless of anyone's race or other factor.

That said, the black woman took it as such and happens to work in a field that addresses such things and went public about it. That's again why you have to mind how you conduct your business as an owner and employees...you don't know who is entering your doors.

As stated in my last post, the bakery did in fact get sucked into the drama and theatrics of being accused of being a racist bakery in an effort to quash it, including virtue signalling. That in turn brought in the 'Alt-Right' scum to troll the situation. They should have done what I said in that post for handling these soapbox drama PR problems.
So there's no proof that they treated her badly because she was Black, but guilty until proven even more guilty, eh?

And "just happens to work in that field"? So she's a professional race pimp. Who'd have guessed it?

Your job is to find oil, you'd better find oil.

Your job is to find racism, you'll find racism.

NYCKY

What's wrong with elderly men packing groceries? Would you prefer they were out in extreme weather digging ditches?

NYCKY

I completely agree that any business owner never wants to turn down a euro/dollar/pound in their till and that's all well and good if it's themselves at the till or a family member.

Employees aren't as vested and if their shift ends at a certain time, it's not unreasonable that they make plans to meet friends at a certain time, or get a lift home, or take public transport or whatever they have to do. In all likelihood, these two employees were casual employees, with no benefits, (sick days, holidays etc) and having done their days work just want to go home.

Retail businesses are subject to closing times everywhere, sometimes it 's legal like alcohol, sometimes it's contractual like in a shopping mall and sometimes ordinances corporate like no Sunday hours but at the end of the day, every employee wants to go home when their work is done.

Who the fck would ever want to get a job in that bakery? People who can't get a job anywhere else, that's who.

Emily Davison

What's wrong with elderly men packing groceries? Would you prefer they were out in extreme weather digging ditches?
No I wouldn’t as you very well know. Ridiculous comparison. I prefer the European model of a minimum income when you’re elderly/infirm/incapable.

While I’m at it, I think it incredible that places like Walmart got away with paying workers below minimum wage.

Emily Davison

I completely agree that any business owner never wants to turn down a euro/dollar/pound in their till and that's all well and good if it's themselves at the till or a family member.

Employees aren't as vested and if their shift ends at a certain time, it's not unreasonable that they make plans to meet friends at a certain time, or get a lift home, or take public transport or whatever they have to do. In all likelihood, these two employees were casual employees, with no benefits, (sick days, holidays etc) and having done their days work just want to go home.

Retail businesses are subject to closing times everywhere, sometimes it 's legal like alcohol, sometimes it's contractual like in a shopping mall and sometimes ordinances corporate like no Sunday hours but at the end of the day, every employee wants to go home when their work is done.

Who the fck would ever want to get a job in that bakery? People who can't get a job anywhere else, that's who.
Casual employees have no rights. That’s what that post says. No sick pay, no holidays and can be fired on a whim. And you think you’re defending them against the bad employer.

mr_anderson

Casual employees have no rights. That’s what that post says. No sick pay, no holidays and can be fired on a whim. And you think you’re defending them against the bad employer.
I'm self employed in Ireland.
As such, I don't get sick pay.
And no holidays if I can't afford them.
My business can go bust leaving me with nothing.

Who do I blame ?

Herr Rommel

Mick Mac

This thread is exactly the place to discuss anti worker practices.

The owner said the employees weren't racist and that Lilian made an assumption rather than seeing th when the place was closed it was closed.

The approach now on this thread is the women were wrong because that is not what a good worker drone does. A good worker drone keeps on working. Closing time is for losers. If you don't like it then ...

This thread is entirely about workers rights and whether whim can overthrow them.

Herr Rommel

I can remember going to Memphis from Atlanta in 99' and stopping in a MacD for a bite to eat only to have an old woman of nearly 100 serving us the grub.

America has had this problem for years and years.

silverharp

This thread is entirely about workers rights and whether whim can overthrow them.
more about the social justice bullies who bully the owners as well, in this case the owners dont seem to have any balls and are caught up in the whole mental illness of the situation. the irish guy who banned bloggers from his hotel got it right, the owners here should have said they were banning social justice activists from their establishment, they would have got a tonne of free advertising, the good kind

Emily Davison

I'm self employed in Ireland.
As such, I don't get sick pay.
And no holidays if I can't afford them.
My business can go bust leaving me with nothing.

Who do I blame ?
How is that comparison valid. Do you think there should be no holidays, no sick pay, no maximum hours etc?

Why are you looking fir someone to blame for anything. You’ve decided to be self employed, and well done you, but you’ve chosen that and ne presumes you’re happy with that versus being an employee.

By the way, what benefits do you get out of being self employed.

Emily Davison

This thread is exactly the place to discuss anti worker practices.

The owner said the employees weren't racist and that Lilian made an assumption rather than seeing th when the place was closed it was closed.

The approach now on this thread is the women were wrong because that is not what a good worker drone does. A good worker drone keeps on working. Closing time is for losers. If you don't like it then ...

There isn’t a person on this thread didn’t get served after closing time. Be that Dunnes stores, a pub or a chemist.

If you’re still serving and have served someone after closing time then you serve the last remaining person out of courtesy or good business practice. If 9 pm is your cut off and practice then I’d agree with nobody being served. What generally happens then is premises that know there will be a problem at 9pm have a last orders rule at 8:45.

Mick Mac

There isn’t a person on this thread didn’t get served after closing time. Be that Dunnes stores, a pub or a chemist.

If you’re still serving and have served someone after closing time then you serve the last remaining person out of courtesy or good business practice. If 9 pm is your cut off and practice then I’d agree with nobody being served. What generally happens then is premises that know there will be a problem at 9pm have a last orders rule at 8:45.
And there isn't a person who didn't get served but told the place was closed. I've been told places are closed 5 mins before they were supposed to shut.

The issue here is simple:

The owner says they often closed in such a manner.
When the shop is closed it's closed and it's bit unreasonable for staff not to want to be stuck there perhaps till 10 or later since what cut off are you suggesting other than a random break in the arrival. So the workers must be victims of circumstance.

The problem is the lady who didn't get served saw it though the lens of racism and so 2 workers who are odds on LGBTQIA+2 based on the owner's description got the boot.
But to get to a discussion about workers merits and rights we'd have to be able to acknowledge that likelihood there was racism in the motivation is exceedingly small.

So, we are in this strange half world of arguing workers should stay open indefinitely even if the shop policy was to try to close it on time because otherwise profits will be lost and someone might think the team LGBT person was a racist rather than wanting to go home.

So the equitable solution progressives are championing is well they weren't good workers for their Manager anyway.

Cause the alternative is to day the lady got the wrong end of the stick.

And horror of horrors people think that approach is Marxist.

Marxists don't throw workers under the bus on behalf of the boss.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies