possible SF Breakaway party?

belfast1981

I don't normally comment on SF in this section, but this popped up on my news feed this evening and haven't seen it brought up. Between 30-40 members of SF met to air their views including the bullying culture that seems to be rife in SF right now and the possibility of forming a break away party was also discussed.

So how can SF get the bullying culture kicked out? Many will say there is none and it is just 'anti SF propaganda' but with more and more speaking out it seems many just want to stick their head in the sand. Do you see this as an issue that could possibly drive a wedge in SF or will it just be a fringe group on the outside?

Disaffected Sinn Fein members voice grievances at meeting in Chinese restaurant - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

The first meeting of disaffected Sinn Fein members took a place in a Chinese restaurant in Waterford over the weekend, with between 30 and 40 people turning up to share grievances over alleged bullying and intimidation within the party.

The meeting, organised by Melissa O'Neill, a councillor who was expelled from Sinn Fein last December, has led to a confidential email hotline being set up for members.

The group also agreed to form 'support hubs' in towns around the country. The prospect of setting up a rival republican party to Sinn Fein was also not ruled out, according to Ms O'Neill.
This bit strikes me as very bad. Challenge the leadership and you are gone.

Last month alone, three Wicklow councillors were expelled from Sinn Fein after they challenged the party in a dispute over internal leadership roles.

The_SR

Has any party not expelled members over the years? It's brave when Haughey/Enda/Spring did it but bullying in SF. Not sure that fits right.

automaticforthepeople

The last breakaway party from Sinn Fein was Fianna Fail. Will be interesting to see where the Chinese party can takeaway much SF votes.

former wesleyan

Sweet and sour madam ?

No, just sour please.

Hibee

These Chaps and lassies one feels were very very naive .

ger12

Yummy, I like Breakways, much nicer than Penguins :D

Congalltee

Lucinda left FG when she stood by her principles, founded a new party which floundered.
Des O'Malley stood by the Republic, founded a party which has set the agenda for 30 years but is no more.
Roisin Shortall stood against cronyism, founded a political party, lost one TD to FF, but her party is at 4% which is threatening Labour (ironically a party which merged with a party which split from SF)
Which model will the ex-Shinners follow?

HYENA

Naive in the extreme, remember you are not playing with democrats.

the secretary

Good luck to them.
Don't think they should start a party though.
Just keep highlighting the injustices that you encountered and witnessed and you will be going well.

Catalpast

Why would anyone even join SF these days?

They are no longer a Nationalist Party.

Nitrogen

Aren't most Irish political parties SF breakaways?

One more won't make much of a difference I suppose

politirak

Not a shred of evidence of bullying presented anywhere, no witnesses and no complaints of abuse to the Gardai. All parties have been hit by similar claims over the years. SF is an easy target and the accusers know the state media and established parties will lap it up.

Catalpast

Not a shred of evidence of bullying presented anywhere, no witnesses and no complaints of abuse to the Gardai. All parties have been hit by similar claims over the years. SF is an easy target and the accusers know the state media and established parties will lap it up.
Most other parties handle internal dissent better

- they usually go for some level of a 'Broad Church' tolerance

- but in SF its all “Uno duce, una voce” :|

Congalltee

What on earth would a complaint to the gardai look like?

Hi, you might remember me from when I helped clear out the anti-social behaviour in the area. My pay was docked by SF and I had to hand my salary to a non-family member, who spied on me. I had to claim expenses even though I was not entitled but I went for the max that could be unvouched. The party then took it. They gave me speeches to say. I could not go off script. Then the ingrates deselected me in favour of a whipper snapper and then forced me to go under the whip. Although I was elected by the people, I was controlled from Belfast. Now they won't talk to me and call me disloyal and unrepublican and mentally unstable and asking for it.
I wish to make a complaint.
P. O'Neill, former TD.
Ps I will recognise the court.
PPs sorry about Jerry McCabe and other unpleasantness.

Last edited:

making waves

The last breakaway party from Sinn Fein was Fianna Fail. Will be interesting to see where the Chinese party can takeaway much SF votes.
Not true

SF split in 1922 over the treaty
Again in 1926 with FF
In 1931 with Saor Eire that led to Republican Congress
In 1967 with Saor Eire (kinda)
In 1970 with the Provo / Officials
In 1986 Republican Sinn Fein
In 1997 with the 32 CSM

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies