Post 8th Discussion

A Voice

Winning the referendum was one thing. Rolling out abortion on demand will be another.

Reactions: ant

Sync

"Now it appears the board of the Coombe Hospital is refusing her constitutional right that we all voted for to have an abortion at a time she chooses," she said.
We didn't vote for that. She didn't state how far along the pregnancy is. It feels like the Dail's a completely inappropriate place to discuss this at this junction.

petaljam

Women still being refused terminations for FFA

In the Coombe Hospital at least, it seems.

She was told to wait for four weeks to see if she miscarried spontaneously. Why not one, or six? :mad:

So much for the (very last minute) claim by anti choicers that it would be perfectly feasible to legislate to allow terminations restricted to precisely these sorts of terrible cases. Clearly given the attempts by traditionalists in the Irish medical system even now, that was never going to be the case.

Evidence (if it were needed) that in the Irish context, any attempt to legally restrict access to terminations will immediately be abused by the faithful who had the upper hand in the country for so long.

And ditto of course for the claim that a rape restriction would have been perfectly OK and women who never have been humiliated or refused on spurious grounds.

Clanrickard

We didn't vote for that. She didn't state how far along the pregnancy is. It feels like the Dail's a completely inappropriate place to discuss this at this junction.
I thought the abortionistas said it was between a woman and her doctor?

Buchaill Dana

We voted to allow terminations when FFA is agreed.

Not for a nun to send her home to naturally miscarry.

The OD

Winning the referendum was one thing. Rolling out abortion on demand will be another.
Did you read the article? It's not 'abortion on demand', she has a fatal foetal abnormality.

Sync

We voted to allow terminations when FFA is agreed.

Not for a nun to send her home to naturally miscarry.
Bit more info from the IT.

At 13 weeks this woman went for her 12 week scan and they could clearly see at that point that the organs of the foetus were outside of the body. They brought her back a week later where that was fully confirmed when they got a better image.

“One doctor, her consultant and another consultant was brought in who said yes, it is a fatal foetal abnormality but a week later, it went to the board, and the board over-ruled that,” Ms Coppinger said.

“This is about the law. A main maternity hospital in the capital city of this country is refusing this woman her constitutional right when two doctors certify what is very clearly a fatal foetal abnormality.”
Now I'm not clear from her words if the board overruled the opinion that it's FFA or that they accept its FFA and just overruled the next steps.

Doesn't seem great either way. If the diagnosis is there it seems straight forward in law what the next steps are.

petaljam

You just cant wait for the slicing and dicing of babies to begin...can you?
So I suppose you think this woman should have been physically restrained to make her stay pregnant?
Or would it be grand for her to have a termination as long as she's physically able to walk onto a plane?

This is exactly the sort of case that the antis told us could be dealt with compassionately without removing the 8th, yet here they are trying to bypass the new law and force her to remain pregnant. Even though two consultants have agreed that the baby cannot live.

What do you think should happen here? Should she be allowed to terminate her pregnancy or not?

The OD

Bit more info from the IT.

Now I'm not clear from her words if the board overruled the opinion that it's FFA or that they accept its FFA and just overruled the next steps.

Doesn't seem great either way. If the diagnosis is there it seems straight forward in law what the next steps are.
And if its that straight forward and she is getting no traction and is distressed about the condition she is in, where to next?

If she wants to be named, requested it specifically, then its quite appropriate for her to be brought into it and named.

Did the CC have the same reaction with Vicky Phelan being named and discussed? What about Emma Mhic Mhatuna?

“Deputy, there are patients in hospitals across the country that might want various circumstances that they find themselves in, distressed, discussed here on the floor of the house, it hasn’t happened and it’s not going to happen now…you’ve raised your point, you’ve made your point, you’re out of order, you’re out of order, you’re out of order…”

Alright Sean, calm down, we get it, the wimmin are talking about their rude bits again.

Sync

And if its that straight forward and she is getting no traction and is distressed about the condition she is in, where to next?
Court hearing. Which should be expedited. As presented it's not a legislative issue.

PBP voter

petaljam

Says the self-declared witch....as if you give a damn.
Why is it so hard for you to answer what is a fairly simple question? This woman finds herself in this terrible situation, and you can find nothing to say about it except to insult anyone who commits the faux pas of mentioning it in public.

I think it's obvious which of us doesn't care about the couple involved - the one who doesn't want anyone to help them. And that isn't me.

The OD

Court hearing. Which should be expedited. As presented it's not a legislative issue.
I appreciate that, but sometimes you need to make a huge noise to gain any traction. I knew someone who had to have a abortion because of FFA and it was quite distressing for them so I feel for this lady so I would imagine time is of the essence for her.

Sync

Define "on demand". Sounds like it might have something to do with presenting and requesting one.
She needs approval due to the time scale involved. Which is fine. What's not fine is if the medical folks agree she has this and that's then not leading to an approval being granted or (and this WOULD be a legislative issue) if the final approval isn't being given by medical staff.

If it's true that rather than terminate the decision was to just hope for a spontaneous miscarriage for moral reasons then that's pretty outrageous. There may be other things at play though, the health of the lady involved and any side effects the abortion could have for instance.

It's almost as if specific live medical issues aren't best discussed and resolved by the legislature...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies