Post 8th Discussion

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That alone may account for a number of abortions to Irish women carried out abroad.

With the limit in England a further seven weeks out you can see how there would be displacement in the data between abortions to Irish women in Ireland and Irish women who travel to the UK.

It is now a regulatory fall-back against the Irish term limits.

petaljam

That alone may account for a number of abortions to Irish women carried out abroad.

With the limit in England a further seven weeks out you can see how there would be displacement in the data between abortions to Irish women in Ireland and Irish women who travel to the UK.

It is now a regulatory fall-back against the Irish term limits.
The more I hear about this case the more I suspect we're going to find it is related to attitudes (or fear of those attitudes) that women on sites like the "In her shoes" page came up against pre-referendum, a refusal to diagnose foetal death during miscarriage for instance, leading to the woman being left to carry the dead foetus for days or weeks rather than take a risk that it might have a just-detectable heartbeat after the pregnancy was terminated.

IOW the law now allows termination for any reason before 12 weeks, so of course the diagnosis of trisomy 13 or 18 is enough, but after 12 weeks the same diagnosis, despite theoretically coming under the second section of the law, might not be considered sufficiently "fatal" for some doctors to agree to sign off on a termination at that stage. Because the doctors risk so much more at that stage.

If that's the case, then it's not a problem of dates IMO, it's the fact that there is a criminal sanction for doctors "getting it wrong" after 12 weeks. And "getting it wrong" may only mean that the baby survives for 24 hours longer than the current definition of "fatal".

petaljam

Any more fiction websites to recommend?
I see that one of the reasons the article mentions for which women terminate without informing the father is that the relationship may be abusive - but they still seem to say she should tell him!

Dame_Enda

Thejournal.ie says that the just 10 out of 19 hospitals are providing full abortion services. Wexford General Hospital Letterkenny hospital and St.Lukes, Kilkenny are refusing because of conscientious objection.

An estimated 80% of abortions are supposed to be implemented through abortion pills got from for example GPs. But abortions from 9-12 weeks are supposed to be dealt with in hospitals.

Does anyone have any figures for conscientious objection among GPs?

Last edited:

Peter72

I see that one of the reasons the article mentions for which women terminate without informing the father is that the relationship may be abusive - but they still seem to say she should tell him!
His poor baby is about to be killed. For what?

What did that baby do to deserve death?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
His poor baby is about to be killed. For what?

What did that baby do to deserve death?
sh!t dad. Why should any woman bind herself legally to some guy for 18 years? Because that is in effect what happens.

If sh!t dads don't like it they can avoid the whole problem by using condoms.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If such lads don't want to be upsettied by dastardly females deciding that on the whole raising a feckless gobshyte's child doesn't appeal as a lifestyle option then I would struggle to see anyone else better qualified to make that decision.

I remember various cases with such clowns trying to assert 'their' rights over a pregnant female some decades back... mind you this would have been back in mental pygmy times in Irish courts.

Where the same clown could appear in another case later in the week hoping to get off punching someone because he was drunk at the time.

That's how f* cked up our laws and culture were at one point. Not so long ago either.

Peter72

If such lads don't want to be upsettied by dastardly females deciding that on the whole raising a feckless gobshyte's child doesn't appeal as a lifestyle option then I would struggle to see anyone else better qualified to make that decision.

I remember various cases with such clowns trying to assert 'their' rights over a pregnant female some decades back... mind you this would have been back in mental pygmy times in Irish courts.

Where the same clown could appear in another case later in the week hoping to get off punching someone because he was drunk at the time.

That's how f* cked up our laws and culture were at one point. Not so long ago either.
So the baby deserves to die why, exactly?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It might grow up to be a surgeon or astronaut or something.

MsDaisyC

So it's cool to kill unwanted unborn babies.

Therefore it's cool to kill unwanted 2 year old children also?
As a fetish, its rather extreme, not to mention illegal. Maybe you should scale back on exploring your kinks.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well one would hardly suggest bumping off the wanted babies. That would be just weird.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We're going to need clay pigeons filled with pink powder for the Tullybarna Olympiad, so it is an ill wind.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies