Post-Brexit, should Ireland allocate MEP seats to Northern Ireland?

gleeful

Wascurito

NI will need whatever help it can get.

May pleads with Trump to save thousands of Belfast jobs.

Aindriu

....., and uniquely, the whole of NI's population remain EU citizens.
What gives you that idea? The referendum was UK wide. No part of the UK will remain In the EU. It is a case of one out, all out.

raetsel

As a resident of NI, my answer is a firm 'no', for the simple reason that the tits elected here in the north make the guys you elect in the Republic look like intellectual titans. You'd end up with one EU hating, DUP creationist loon, and God knows what from Sinn Fein, probably Martina Anderson, who is no addition to any forum.
Do the entire island a favour and keep your seats.:)

raetsel

raetsel

Every person born in the North can have an Irish passport if they want one. Nordies will still be EU citizens.
There's an automatic entitlement for most people which is not the same thing as actually having EU citizenship. And thanks to the 27th constitutional amendment not everyone has such a right. If a northerner choses only to have a British passport then they are not an EU citizen. For that to be the case we'd need to remain part of the EU which was my point. And even if we hold Irish passports, as I do, we still won't benefit greatly from EU citizenship. As things stand it looks like we will lose our EHIC cards for instance, and May and her gimps are probably going to lose us other perks as well e.g. free mobile phone roaming. The only benefit we will likely retain is the right to access the EU channel at airports.:-(

gleeful

There's an automatic entitlement for most people which is not the same thing as actually having EU citizenship. And thanks to the 27th constitutional amendment not everyone has such a right. If a northerner choses only to have a British passport then they are not an EU citizen. For that to be the case we'd need to remain part of the EU which was my point. And even if we hold Irish passports, as I do, we still won't benefit greatly from EU citizenship. As things stand it looks like we will lose our EHIC cards for instance, and May and her gimps are probably going to lose us other perks as well e.g. free mobile phone roaming. The only benefit we will likely retain is the right to access the EU channel at airports.:-(
Well, the EHIC is about residency, not citizenship. Non-EU people officially resident in the EU get one but EU citizens who live abroad don't (unless they had one before).

You will benefit from EU citizenship when you want to move abroad I guess. I think the EU will make an issue about your rights too - it will be a stick to beat the English with for years.

The_SR

What gives you that idea? The referendum was UK wide. No part of the UK will remain In the EU. It is a case of one out, all out.
Seriously? That's your response?

raetsel

Well, the EHIC is about residency, not citizenship. Non-EU people officially resident in the EU get one but EU citizens who live abroad don't (unless they had one before).

You will benefit from EU citizenship when you want to move abroad I guess. I think the EU will make an issue about your rights too - it will be a stick to beat the English with for years.
Well, that will never affect me in all likelihood, for a number of reasons.
1. Family.
2. The way the pound has collapsed as a result of this madness, the place I'd most like to relocate to if I was tempted to, Italy, is now considerably more expensive, not that it was ever cheap to begin with, even Sicily which is about the most reasonably priced place for meals out and drinks. The Brexit vandals have f*cked everything up. Only the lunatic fringe in Ireland will ever support a similar decision in the republic hopefully.

Mercurial

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brexit-could-mean-two-extra-meps-for-ireland-1.3217460

Ireland might get 2 additional MEP seats post brexit as part of the reallocation of the UK's seats proportionately. Right now, the North has 3 MEP seats and even after Brexit, and uniquely, the whole of NI's population remain EU citizens.

Should Dublin assign our two new MEPs to represent the EU citizens of Northern Ireland?
No - the UK's seats should be assigned to a new, pan-European constituency.

gleeful

No - the UK's seats should be assigned to a new, pan-European constituency.
France allocates seats to non-resident citizens. It even has seats to represent French citizens in the UK. A couple of EU Parliament seats to represent the interests of EU citizens left in the UK seems like a good idea.

PBP voter

There are currently 73 UK MEPs out of a total of 751 members.

After Brexit, the total number of MEPs will fall to 700, but no country would lose an MEP, and a number of countries, including Ireland are expected to gain members.
Why not cut the full 73?

New Threads

Most Replies