Post-brexit trade deals for the UK

McTell

Twitter
No
The UK is short of trade negotiators right now, as they all moved to Brussels. So Mrs May must be well happy when Johnnie Foreigner starts offering free trade deals. Expect a stampede. She can't sign up for them yet because Britain is still in the EU

UK offered Brexit free trade deal with Australia - BBC News

(Biz opportunity for sheil - retrain as a government trade haggler in London)

Trainwreck

The UK is short of trade negotiators right now, as they all moved to Brussels. So Mrs May must be well happy when Johnnie Foreigner starts offering free trade deals. Expect a stampede. She can't sign up for them yet because Britain is still in the EU

UK offered Brexit free trade deal with Australia - BBC News

(Biz opportunity for sheil - retrain as a government trade haggler in London)
Cheaper wine for the Brits.

They no longer have to kow tow to France and Italy to restrict imports of that nasty American, South African, Australia.ln and New Zealand wine.

McTell

Twitter
No
Now they've been offered a free trade deal with China. Cant sign up until they are out of the EU, but will have the details ready inside 2 years.

UK explores multi-billion pound free trade deal with China - BBC News

Hammond added that ".. the EU is not in "punishment mode" over the Brexit vote."

So all they need now is a free trade deal with the EU. The EU Schengen agreement is crumbling anyway.

GDPR

I understand that an Australian proposal for free trade has already been welcomed by the Brit government.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but maybe the Commonwealth will be revived back to how it was before the UK joined the EEC (or whatever it was called). This will cheer the New Zealand dairy industry, though it had a special concession for selling its butter because its economy was so dependent upon sales in the UK. However, Irish butter may disappear from supermarket shelves, or be more expensive.

Might lead to increased migration from other Commonwealth countries, thereby defeating the desire to have fewer damned foreigners in the UK?

Personally I wish the Brexit vote could be ignored, but a lot of damage has already been done and the UK may never be the same whether it is in the EU or not :(

GDPR

Now they've been offered a free trade deal with China. Cant sign up until they are out of the EU, but will have the details ready inside 2 years.

Hammond added that ".. the EU is not in "punishment mode" over the Brexit vote."

So all they need now is a free trade deal with the EU. The EU Schengen agreement is crumbling anyway.
The UK has never been in Schengen but I have been to and from France several times these past few months and we get our passports checked twice: by British then French border controls.

A few years ago I travelled from England to France to Belgium then The Netherlands, and on another occasion to Germany and Austria. Don't recall ever getting my passport checked. So easy, and such a pity all those refugees/migrants/terrorists have spoiled it all for us.

When some Irish people were causing bomb alerts and bombs, rubbish bins disappeared from London Underground and they have never returned. Such a nuisance. Then again there is an even more dangerous enemy about now.

euryalus

Might lead to increased migration from other Commonwealth countries, thereby defeating the desire to have fewer damned foreigners in the UK?(
I think you are missing the point - American and Commonwealth citizens are not generally regarded as "damned foreigners"; the "damned foreigners" are surely the Europeans (?)

darkhorse

China would be very happy to do a free trade deal with the UK
They could export all their stuff tariff free and get European prices

Trainwreck

I think you are missing the point - American and Commonwealth citizens are not generally regarded as "damned foreigners"; the "damned foreigners" are surely the Europeans (?)
With Britain as part of the EU they were.

GDPR

I think you are misinformed. Black people from the Caribbean countries had a dreadful time when they first came to the UK and before them the Ockers from Oz were treated very badly as inferior beings. That's why the defeat of the Poms in the cricket was such a humiliation. A book by Miles Franklin which includes the experience while living in England of a couple made wealthy from the gold rushes in Victoria in the 1850s is a sad example.

Trainwreck

Guaranteed to kill of whats left of British manufacturing
Yet another person beclowning themselves with economic ignorance.

Why not give us your personal opinions on quantum physics and super string theory controversy while you are at it. It will be just as informed.

darkhorse

Yet another person beclowning themselves with economic ignorance.

Why not give us your personal opinions on quantum physics and super string theory controversy while you are at it. It will be just as informed.

Look who's talking ...

Spanner Island

Yeah, that won't cut it. I know you are a spoofer
Ah FFS Trainwreck...

A PhD Economist is it..? a prize bullsh!tter then..?

Economists can barely ever agree on anything... and yet they seem to think their self regarding bullsh!t is some sort of 'science'...

You may as well be Mystic Meg...

And you talk about spoofers... FFS... :roll:

Trainwreck

Ah FFS Trainwreck...

A PhD Economist is it..? a prize bullsh!tter then..?

Economists can barely ever agree on anything... and yet they seem to think their self regarding bullsh!t is some sort of 'science'...

You may as well be Mystic Meg...

And you talk about spoofers... FFS... :roll:
They are not stupid enough to spout mercantilist nonsense.

Spanner Island

They are not stupid enough to spout mercantilist nonsense.
They spewed all sorts of bullsh!t before and since the crash...

Economists are for the most part useless... not unlike pollsters and the feckin' ratings agencies... all chancers...

Why anyone pays any attention to economists is beyond me at this stage...

Trainwreck

They spewed all sorts of bullsh!t before and since the crash...

Economists are for the most part useless... not unlike pollsters and the feckin' ratings agencies... all chancers...

Why anyone pays any attention to economists is beyond me at this stage...
Whatever you say.

New Threads

Most Replies