• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Post Brexit vote should Mr Flanagan resign as Minister for Foreign Affairs?

redneck

I think Brexit has been a fairly bad day's work for the EU and Irish foreign policy. Over the last 20 years the Dublin Government has pushed the line that the EU is vital for Ireland and to a lesser degree N.I. In the recent Brexit campaign Minister Charles Flanagan was tasked with "getting the Irish vote out". And getting it to vote Remain. A campaign was launched targetting Irish ex Pats. It did not succeed in my opinion.
Other events especially in the Mid East have shown a lack of Irish and to a lesser degree EU diplomacy also. As head of Foreign Affairs should Charlie Flanagan be resonsible?

The Field Marshal

I believe he should.

He has failed to protect the Irish peace process now seriously endangered by the IMV deliberate inaction of the EU commission and the EU parliament on the status of the 26 counties border with the UK.

I say deliberate becuase there is an obvious desire manifested by the EU commission and parliament to punish the UK for its decision.

Part of that punishment is to instigate political instability in the UK irrespective of its effect on the ROI.

Prof Honeydew

Flanagan has made such little impact in Foreign Affairs, I doubt if anyone would notice him resigning.

The Field Marshal

No Irish minister is responsible for how British people vote.
They are responsible for failing to hold the EU to account for its current policy of destabilising the Irish peace process.

redneck

Flanagan has made such little impact in Foreign Affairs, I doubt if anyone would notice him resigning.
That has been my point! He has failed. It is no secret the Irish government ran a campaign aimed at Ex Pats, like Geldof, to vote Remain. Did they succeed, well not really.

redneck

Is the World and the Economy in a safer place now then it was 5 years ago when the present Government took charge. Answer is open in my opinion.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Is there any reason to believe that anybody else could have done any better?

redneck

Is there any reason to believe that anybody else could have done any better?
A Brexit vote was declared to be not in the interest of this country. A campaign was set up by Govt and tasked to Deputy Flanagan, that is to get the Irish ex pat's vote in the UK out- and to vote Remain. Mr Geldof was one of the one's asked to help this. All I am asking is was this campaign successful? I don't think so.

Gurdiev77

I think Brexit has been a fairly bad day's work for the EU and Irish foreign policy. Over the last 20 years the Dublin Government has pushed the line that the EU is vital for Ireland and to a lesser degree N.I. In the recent Brexit campaign Minister Charles Flanagan was tasked with "getting the Irish vote out". And getting it to vote Remain. A campaign was launched targetting Irish ex Pats. It did not succeed in my opinion.
Other events especially in the Mid East have shown a lack of Irish and to a lesser degree EU diplomacy also. As head of Foreign Affairs should Charlie Flanagan be resonsible?
im all for CF resigning, he appears a poor negotiator, and we will need a crack team to protct our trade.

However you cant pin brexit on him ..

How do you know which was the 500k Irish in Britain voted.?

turdsl

Neither Flanagan or Enda Kenny had any cop-on, going over to England asking people to
vote to suit their agenda,Remember Dr Reilly telling our newly qualified nurses to accept his
yella pack cut price jobs or go and prop up the counter of a fast food outlet.

The Field Marshal

How do you know which was the 500k Irish in Britain voted.?
It is fairly clear that when they saw Enda Kenny and Bob Geldoff most of them wanted to leave.

redneck

Was using people like Bob Geldof and Michael O Leary of Ryanair a good idea? I like both of these men. They have made success in their lives. But UK voters didn't like them it seems and the Irish government campaign failed and the UK voted leave.

Prof Honeydew

Spirited performance by Charlie Flanagan in the green jersey up in Belfast today:

Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers - who campaigned for Leave - has ruled out any possibility of the Treasury cutting the cost of Northern Ireland reducing its local rate of corporation tax.

On Monday, First Minister Arlene Foster said she would explore as a matter of urgency whether the UK's decision to leave the EU changed the financial consequences of devolving the business tax.

Ms Villiers also played down the possibility of Northern Ireland having any future relationship with the European Union which is different to the rest of the UK.

Both Sinn Fein and the SDLP have said they do not want to be "dragged out of the EU" on the basis of English votes. However, Ms Villiers insisted that EU rules were clear that membership is at state level. She said this was a national question and it was not possible for a part of a country to be part of the EU.

The secretary of state was in Belfast for a day of talks on Brexit

hurling_lad

That has been my point! He has failed. It is no secret the Irish government ran a campaign aimed at Ex Pats, like Geldof, to vote Remain. Did they succeed, well not really.
Barack Obama supported the remain side so, by the logic of the above post, he should also resign

mangaire2

Flanagan is a disgrace, but not for the reason, alluded to by you.

the combined efforts of Kenny, Flanagan & the big mouths Gefdorf & mr Bono,
may well have resulted in many Brits voting to Leave, rather than to Stay

Gurdiev77

Was using people like Bob Geldof and Michael O Leary of Ryanair a good idea? I like both of these men. They have made success in their lives. But UK voters didn't like them it seems and the Irish government campaign failed and the UK voted leave.
i Doubt if either of them was used by anyone . They had their own reasons for campaigning , surely.

stakerwallace

Flanagan is a disgrace, but not for the reason, alluded to by you.

the combined efforts of Kenny, Flanagan & the big mouths Gefdorf & mr Bono,
may well have resulted in many Brits voting to Leave, rather than to Stay

Maybe you are inclined to vote one way or another on the basis of what celebrities tell you. Personally I wouldn't give them a second thought.

mangaire2

Maybe you are inclined to vote one way or another on the basis of what celebrities tell you. Personally I wouldn't give them a second thought.
my views on most issues are certainly not influenced by celebrities, nor politicians, for that matter
I will admit to having allowed a politician to change my voting intention once,
& that was in the Seanad Referendum.
I had intended voting for its abolition,
but because Kenny was for its abolition & afraid to campaign publicly for its abolition,
I changed my mind & voted for its retention.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies