Post Brexit, will A United Ireland Poll Happen?

Titan

Website
www.forumbox.co.uk
Today, the United Kingdom woke up to the result that my country has decided to leave the EU. As well as ramifications for those of us in Britain namely calls for a second Scottish independence referendum, there are likely to be consequences for Ireland too.

These islands could be about to undergo fundamental political change, or, after all the excitement, things just go back to business as usual.

Not missing a beat..., before most people even get round to their bacon and eggs this morning, Gerry Adams has suggested that it may now be the time to have a poll for a united Ireland, especially given a majority in Northern Ireland voted to stay in the EU.

So, what will happen? Will a poll go ahead and what will be the reaction of unionists? Does the ROI really want unification if it becomes a real possibility not just a distant fantasy?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Post-BREXIT: Will the six counties be split up?" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercurial

It's more likely after tonight, but still not very likely at all.

Catalpast

er ...NO

SF's tactics in all this were an electoral gimmick start to finish

A Border Poll has no more chance of success than it did yesterday or the day before

Titan

Website
www.forumbox.co.uk
As much as I would like to see if and for a United Ireland to happen I don't think it will
Neither do I, but Gerry seems confident..

The last time I checked, the majority in NI still favoured union with Britain. So, why would he call for a poll now when numbers are against him?

Titan

Website
www.forumbox.co.uk
er ...NO

A Border Poll has no more chance of success than it did yesterday or the day before
But the vote on Britain's future in the EU was just a gimmick to appease a few Tory politicians and look what has happened....

DT123

Today, the United Kingdom woke up to the result that my country has decided to leave the EU. As well as ramifications for those of us in Britain namely calls for a second Scottish independence referendum, there are likely to be consequences for Ireland too.

These islands could be about to undergo fundamental political change, or, after all the excitement, things just go back to business as usual.

Not missing a beat..., before most people even get round to their bacon and eggs this morning, Gerry Adams has suggested that it may now be the time to have a poll for a united Ireland, especially given a majority in Northern Ireland voted to stay in the EU.

So, what will happen? Will a poll go ahead and what will be the reaction of unionists? Does the ROI really want unification if it becomes a real possibility not just a distant fantasy?
LOL

Unionists will eat grass before supporting a UI.

A day of days.

Titan

Website
www.forumbox.co.uk
LOL

Unionists will eat grass before supporting a UI.

A day of days.
I agree. But there is a real possibility that there may not be a United Kingdom for NI to be part of soon if the SNP have their way.

John Bruton on CNBC right now.

mr_anderson

er ...NO

The older I get, the less appetising a UI becomes.

DT123

I agree. But there is a real possibility that there may not be a United Kingdom for NI to be part of soon if the SNP have their way.

John Bruton on CNBC right now.
Scotland can do what it wants.
Give them a referendum in the morning. I'm sure the EU will love another parasite.
Scotland and the Republic need to remember where the bulk of their trade goes.

ger12

Time to look at asking the people.

hollandia

If I were sf, I'd wait a few years until the economy has tanked and unionist farmers have there financial banks to the wall. Both of which will in all likelihood happen.

DT123

If I were sf, I'd wait a few years until the economy has tanked and unionist farmers have there financial banks to the wall. Both of which will in all likelihood happen.
You people are seriously deluded.

Every farmer I know wanted out.

Like any business there willbe winners and losers. If you are counting ghost sheep you'll be a loser if you are an efficient business you'll thrive.

Titan

Website
www.forumbox.co.uk
But how patient can the bearded one remain when the "prize" could be within "his" grasp?

truthandjustice

Given the choice must catholics would vote to remain in the UK. Would you with any sense want to join our idiotic country led by pro EU open borders fools. Well done Britain, can Ireland come with you?????

firefly123

Scotland can do what it wants.
Give them a referendum in the morning. I'm sure the EU will love another parasite.
Scotland and the Republic need to remember where the bulk of their trade goes.
Why? The UK forgot where the bulk of their's goes.

firefly123

When the Loyal farmer in mid ulster doesn't get his grant for a few years and a Tory government tear the bollox out of NI public services there might not be as much loyalist going around.
I assume the government of the day will do what all governments do and start a divide and conquer campaign. That will lead one place unfortunately.

storybud1

I think the OP has got it the wrong way around,,

Will there be a United British Isles is a more likely outcome,,,

Titan

Website
www.forumbox.co.uk
Given the choice must catholics would vote to remain in the UK. Would you with any sense want to join our idiotic country led by pro EU open borders fools. Well done Britain, can Ireland come with you?????
It's been widely discussed on this forum that if a real opportunity for a UI did arise, then Catholics in NI would go for it despite many saying they are pro union with the UK.

Henry94.

A united Ireland under German rule is not exactly The Republic is it? With Britain out of the way there will be no major player to defend us on Corporation Tax. We may have to look at our own membership before too long.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies