• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Post codes to be introduced.

codology

Minister Ryan has announced that postal codes are to be introduced in Ireland by the year 2011.It seems to me that not content with standing idly by while Eircom imploded the minister has deciced to wipe out An Post.The introduction of post codes nationally will mean that An Post will have no hope of competing with large multinationals who will be able to piggyback their operation at cheap rates when post codes are rolled out.Conservative estimates put the cost of Post codes at around 20 million euros which is a lot more money than it would have cost to vacinate young women against cancer but I suppose it shows the Greens priorities.

Stroke

More junk mail and morkeshing shoighte to drop through my letterbox so......

alonso

so because a good idea costs the same as cancer screening we shouldn't do it. Daft point codology

If An Post can't deal with technology and a measure that's been around for decades in the developed world, fck them. Not a single sane person without ann agenda could possibly be against post codes. Business has been screaming for this for years as has the entire delivery industry...

Elvis Parsley

I think they were always inevitable once somebody invented the interweb thingy. Ordering women's underwear and speciality medication online will be easier for us now...
Never had a problem ordering over the internet, just use 0000 as the postcode. Always works.

Cassandra Syndrome

Never had a problem ordering over the internet, just use 0000 as the postcode. Always works.
Exactly. Another costly exercise. Britain needs a postcode because of its population density. Its an easier way for Big Brother to keep tabs on us. What for example will Dublin 4 be?
D4 0MG?

Furze

So will D4, D6W be obsolete ?

diablo

Any indication of what type system will be used ? There'll be riots in the boulevards of D4 if parts of it are chopped off in to seperate post codes.

Elvis Parsley

If Eamon Ryan's track history is anything to go by, it's just another piece of horsesh1t in the same way as the Broadband rollout.

super pedestrian

I could be wrong but I vaguely remember being told that we were getting postcodes in 2007.
I shan't hold my breath.

mcdonald douglas

The Greens have less than two thousand members yet they infiltrate our lives in so many ways...from killing the car industry to introducing lethal mercury light bulbs.....you have to use them...you have no choice ..the green fascists know what's good for you.

Tigris Celtica

Great news - about time. If they get it right it will make using SatNavs much better in Ireland. I've used mine in the UK and if you enter the postcode and house number it takes you right to the front door.

About time Ireland joined the 21st Century - In Postcode terms at least.....

Its a sham.

Ireland has no need for postcodes.

However the banks do.

Credit checks rely on Postcodes, complete history. EXACT address.

Savage cuts are on there way, but the government can afford 20 million on postcodes.

codology

so because a good idea costs the same as cancer screening we shouldn't do it. Daft point codology

If An Post can't deal with technology and a measure that's been around for decades in the developed world, fck them. Not a single sane person without ann agenda could possibly be against post codes. Business has been screaming for this for years as has the entire delivery industry...
The first point I made was to show the priority our government has if you think its daft so be it.The biggest player in the"delivery industry" An Post is very much against post codes mainly because on government advice 9 years ago they spent many millions on their own internal sorting codes.

Tigris Celtica

The Greens have less than two thousand members yet they infiltrate our lives in so many ways...from killing the car industry to introducing lethal mercury light bulbs.....you have to use them...you have no choice ..the green fascists know what's good for you.
Quite right - Apart from the fact that they last about 5 minutes if used with PIR detectors or in enclosed lanterns think of all the extra mercury that will now find its way into our water from the inevitable dumped bulbs. I've bought several large boxes of GLS Bulbs - enough to last me for many, many years - I'm not having some tree hugging green loony dictate to me what kind of light bulb I must use...... :mad:

NO to Lisbon. NO to NAMA.

alonso

The first point I made was to show the priority our government has if you think its daft so be it.The biggest player in the"delivery industry" An Post is very much against post codes mainly because on government advice 9 years ago they spent many millions on their own internal sorting codes.
Health has it's own priorities. Attack the ongoing waste there not the spending of other departments on useful things.

The lack of postcodes is a pain in the ar5e for anyone doing anything that requires maps, addresses, the use of any spatial information whatsoever. Things like the census will be revolutionised wth this info - no longer will we be relying on outdated DEDs. Anyone who does any GIS work at all will greatly appreciate this

As for deliveries I was at a conference realted to this industry a few months back and every single one of them agreed that the lack of postcodes was a major drawback to their efficiency.

So it may cost 20m but it may save that very quickly in fuel costs and admin costs.

Christel

Any indication of what type system will be used ? There'll be riots in the boulevards of D4 if parts of it are chopped off in to seperate post codes.
I don't know. May I suggest they use the L numbers of local roads in rural Ireland? It would probably give some sense to that strange activity two or so years ago, where road signs with those numbers were errected where those lanes leave the main roads, often being cul de sacs. I never understood why money was spent on that.

And the same is true of post codes: Anyone who has to relate a post code to a house, dwelling, address, must know the location. A post code on its own doesn't identify it. So what is gained with a post code? What's the sense of it outside of larger cities and towns?

codology

[

So it may cost 20m but it may save that very quickly in fuel costs and admin costs.[/QUOTE]

Alonso if you can save 20m on fuel and admin costs just through having postcodes you should be running this pocksy country.

gusclaw

Doesnt make much difference to An Post really, sorting technology will read postcodes whatever form they are in. Huge cost to set the system up though and major cost for business in using them. Its a huge chunk of national infrastructure. Could be sight more than 20 million. Long road ahead.

Baron von Biffo

You Sir/Madam are on the ball.

RTE 9.00 news had a vox pop and one of the interviewees referred to the impact this could have on property values in Dublin.