Power to the people EU-style. EU direct democracy?

Éireann go Brách

Interesting news from brussels regrading a new direct democary

story from the BBC

So, among many other things, the Lisbon Treaty says the EU must create a new tool for direct democracy - under strict EU rules, of course. Next year we will hear a lot more about the European Citizens' Initiative (ECI).
BBC News - Power to the people EU-style

European Citizens' Initiative (ECI) website
click here for PDF and Q and A

EUROPA - Press Releases - European Citizens' Initiative (ECI)

Read and discuss and/or debate.

:cool:

setanta

Huge amount of work going on with this in the European Parliament. Constitutional Affairs Committee is considering it this week (I think) then to EP Plenary. Should launch during 2011.

Key ideas in teh latest proposals include:

On-line registration of citizen support
Funding transparency for each initiative
Early adjucation by Commission on admissability of individual initiatives

... and many more!

Al.

Interesting news from brussels regrading a new direct democary

story from the BBC

BBC News - Power to the people EU-style

European Citizens' Initiative (ECI) website

click here for PDF and Q and A

EUROPA - Press Releases - European Citizens' Initiative (ECI)

Read and discuss and/or debate.

:cool:
Already discussed in other threads in the past. It's not direct democracy, and it's not new, since it's in the Lisbon Treaty.

All it says is that the Commission will "consider" the request of a million voters, not that said voters have suddenly been granted legislative initiative (or legislative power of any kind) and the request becomes law. It's direct pseudodemocracy, just like the normal "legislative" processes in Brussels are pseudodemocratic.

Edit: It is certainly a great way to find out where and who one million dissenters are, that's for sure.

Last edited:

ocoonassa

Wooo-hoooo!! Go on the Corporatist Federation!! give us illusions of the things we desire or give us death!!

Superlepreachaun

This petition made me piss myself laughing when I heard about it, sure we could have given them a petition signed by over a million BEFORE Lisbon, Lisbon just makes them CONSIDER it, are they saying before lisbon they'd have ignored it?
You want real democracy in the EU merge Barosso and Hermans jobs and have a common European President directly elected by the people, after nominations by each of the parliament groups, and give the parliament the power to propose legislation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies