Practical Suggestions for Growing the Economy

dakid

Theres a lot of understandable anger,and depression on this site at the moment.Therefore I'm looking for genuine practical solutions to grow the economy over the next 4 years. One suggestion I have is a freeze on Employers PRSI for new employees(with obvious safeguards to prevent abuse). This would reduce the costs to employers of employing new people and allow someone currently unemployed to earn a living and pay tax. Seems like a win win to me. There would be a net gain to the exchequer, to the individual and the employer.

hammer

A freeze ? Surely you mean an exemption ?

Remove employers PRSI from minimum wage
Reduce commercial rates
Scrap travel tax
Subsidise travel from USA
Cut VAT
Allow entertainment expenses as an allowable expense
Have an entrepeneurial tax credit for those SME owners that employ > 5 people etc

Easy peasy......loads of ideas

slippy wicket

Cull the anti business quangos
Reduce minimum wage to NI levels
Reduce excise duty on road haulage / rebate scheme

The Lighthouse Keeper

Since we managed to retain the 12.5% Corporate Tax, market it morning noon and night with a vengeance and get loads of companies (esp. German ones), brass plate operations etc. to locate here as a f*ck you to the EU.
Use the proceeds to pay down the EU/IMF loans in double quick time.

Sucker Punch

Use the restructuring of FAS to get people on tranning schemes to fix the ghost estates that are viable for social housing.

wombat

Since we managed to retain the 12.5% Corporate Tax, market it morning noon and night with a vengeance and get loads of companies (esp. German ones), brass plate operations etc. to locate here as a f*ck you to the EU.
I like it:lol:

Doodah

:lol::lol:

We have lots of land and beasts of the field-
Maximise manure and fertilizer production and export, export, export.
Target the German market in particular, with horticultural advertising such as
"Smell It For Ireland!"

cocopoppyhead

Basically, we are a gateway to the European market so to speak, just as Dubai is a gateway to the middleeast.
We aslo, as far as i know have the lowest corporate tax rate in the world, we are fluent English speakers, educated, and so on (all the bases unpon with we attracted the Multinationals in the first place), So, is it plausible to think we can bring in China, India, South America and so forth, and make Ireland a hub for worldwide trading? So we would be the gateway of sorts to the middle east, asia, south america's, Europe and so on?

Im not sure if you can become a member of more than one common market, but it it is possible, then thats a fairly decent strategy.

hmmm

We have to get costs down for business and we have no government willing to do it. Our electricity costs are too high, rates are too high, business is loaded with endless costs imposed on them by rent seeking bureaucrats. Sad to say, but our minimum wage will have to be reduced or the alternative is massive youth unemployment. Why we even have a concept of employers PRSI is beyond me.

Taxes like the travel tax make no sense, we should be paying the airlines to get people into this country.

cocopoppyhead

Tourism:

1. Many Caribbean islands (among others throughout the world) pay airliners, and provide huge subsidies to fly to their country, thus bringing huge numbers of tourists with them. Why cannot we? Buddy Darby from kiawah Island Golf resort told us last week at a conference that he had to take 4 hops to get out of America to fly to Dublin, because so many of the former routes are now closed. So, if we gave incentives to more flights from Houston, Miami, Chicago and so on (im not sure where they fly from) then we can expand our tourism significantly. He said from most eastern cities, it is easier to get to Ireland than it is to many western states.
2. How much revenue does the DAA bring in? This is an off the cuff remark as i have no clue of the figures, but would the larger volumes of passengers that could come here by offering free airliner fee's in the airports be enough to offset the cost of running the airports?
3. Our visas are shameful, I know from first hand experience how much of a nightmare it is for people from non EU, USA/Canada and Australia/NZ to get a visa. The dept of foreign affairs say that 97% of applicants are accepted, yet they must provide all but the kitchen sink in assurances before they are allowed to come here, this process can take as much as 4 months to complete, thus increasing the hassle, delaying the booking time, increasing the fare and pissing the would-be tourist off... Why can't we streamline this, why can't it e made significantly easier. Can automated on-line forms not be created so people don't have to mail consulates and embassies, while they mail the dept of foreign affairs, and then in-turn wait for the correspondence to come back up the line and so on... its a right mess.. Bord Failte are raging at the government over this.
4. We need to expand the regions that we allow into this country, If you look around, 95% of the tourists are from the countries i listed above, as they mostly have a hassle free time applying. There are very few Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Indian & Brazilian tourists, and how strong are these economies? How much money is it costing us to lose out? With the Olympics coming to the UK, they will need to relax their Visa requirements, Bord Failte are pushing our foreign affairs dept to loosen our restrictions and streamline the visa process. They said this is the opportunity they have been waiting for, lets hope the government get the finger out.. The government always gave the border as the excuse for having such stringent Visas... So, lets see if they can change their tune.

With regards to the comment i made earlier about Ireland as a hub.. I think there is a slim chance of something like this happening, though i do agree that it is unlikely. However, There is a push to set up a Chinese park in Athlone employing 3500 people, this scheme is to attract Chinese and Asian companies to Ireland so they can have access to Europe. This is not to far from what i spoke of, but they are simply following the process that we invited the American multinationals along for in the 90's. Now, considering we would have the US multinationals and possibly the Asian multinationals in the same location, its not unfair to assume they will do business together, so by virtue of geographics and proximity to each other deals will be done.. becoming a hub would be that next step.. China might want Ireland to be a gateway for Europe to reach them, if that were the case, could Europe refuse Ireland accepting? Especially in light of the fact we might be able to pay off our mainly European debts.. So, if a company has offices in Ireland, maybe they can trade back and forth, but a tax can be applied to suit the EU... there are positives in here, they just have to be visualised.

This "one to many" graph would represent it, I dont know how to draw this graph on a pc, but i found this which is similar to what i want.. We really need 4 or 5 circles rather than 3, so for the sake of this illustration, a region or 2 has been left out..

#5 represents Europe
#6 represents China
#7 represents USA

#1 Europe and China can trade at their respective corporate tax rates
#2 Europe and USA can trade at their respective corporate tax rates
#4 USA and China can trade at their respective corporate tax rates

#3 Ireland at a rate of 12.5% can allow all 3 regions (or all 3 common markets) trade together much cheaper than anywhere else. Africa, The middle east and so forth can be added in also.. but, we would be a hub for trading between all common markets.

Last edited:

thegreyfox

Maybe remove the tourist tax as O'Leary suggested,give a hotel voucher to over 55's as Spain does to foreigners to use off season.Rather than a trade in subsidy for new vehicles drop the vat rate for car repairs allowing the car industry to employ people while allowing those in financial hardship to keep theirs roadworthy.

Prester Jim

Much Much more harvestable timber planted and plants to process it.
there is a growing shortage in many parts of the world not least western europe as they planted to much leisure forests (economically only because otherwise nothing more beautiful in UK, France etc

Bosun Higgs

We give free travel to our pensioners, and we extended it to N.Irl pensioners, so why not extend it to all European pensioners, with the removal of the travel tax, could see an increase in Seniors tourism.
Older folk love to get a bargain, and talk about it.
Extend it to Americans of Irish extraction.
(what's your name? Kowolski?, aah yeah, there from Kerry)

charley

Get the EU to double our agriculture production and fishing quotas.

Google have invested $5billion on an offshore wind supply backbone off the American East coast could they be persuaded to invest in a similar project on the West and Northwest coast of Ireland. It would bring huge benefits to the harbours along the coast with the sevice industries required for such a project.
Google Backs Offshore Wind Farm Backbone: Cleantech News «

If the greens have any balls they should be pushing this project.

dakid

I seem to remember a plan to build huge wind farms with big pumped storage lakes. Spirit of Ireland I think it was called, anyone have news on this?

cocopoppyhead

I seem to remember a plan to build huge wind farms with big pumped storage lakes. Spirit of Ireland I think it was called, anyone have news on this?
that would be a fantastic project, i mentioned it in a few other threads in here... last i heard it was with the department of planning and dithering...

New Threads

Most Replies