PrEP (HIV preventative pill).... legit or a bit of a scam?

What is your take on this "PrEP" lark we're hearing lately for prevention of HIV?

PrEP has been around for years and is known to have some effect, but the general consensus was that people engaged in those risky activities likely aren't going to take the pill anyway or are too poor or are far better off to just curb their risky activities.

So what has changed in the mean time? It just seems strange now that they're engaging in a media blitz about this thing that so many people now need, along with HIV figures conveniently growing at the same time.

Last edited:

Politics matters

HIV in Ireland is growing due to mass immigration. African men and women along with homosexual men from latin America are the reason why the figures are rising. I don't care what you lefties say, the stats don't lie.

I do, however support the distribution of PREP. It is cheaper for the state to give the drug to high risk groups, instead of providing HIV positive patients with medication for life.

Dame_Enda

HIV in Ireland is growing due to mass immigration. African men and women along with homosexual men from latin America are the reason why the figures are rising. I don't care what you lefties say, the stats don't lie.

I do, however support the distribution of PREP. It is cheaper for the state to give the drug to high risk groups, instead of providing HIV positive patients with medication for life.
While its politically risky to say it, statistics do in fact show most new HIV cases in 2018 are of persons born outside the state (71%).

Region of Birth:

• Of the diagnoses in 2018, 21% (n=109) were born in Ireland, 71% (n=370) were born abroad and 8% (n=44) did not have information on country of birth.
  • Of the 370 HIV diagnoses among those born outside Ireland, 34% were born in sub-Saharan Africa and 36% were born in Latin America and the Caribbean, 9% from countries in Central and Eastern Europe and 11% from countries in Western Europe.
  • 76% of heterosexual female cases and heterosexual male cases were born in sub-Saharan Africa.
  • The majority of MSM were born in Ireland or Latin America and Caribbean.
  • 57% of PWID were born in Ireland and 29% in Central or Eastern Europe.

Politics matters

While its politically risky to say it, statistics do in fact show most HIV cases are acquired abroad.
Exactly, the homophobic media would rather incline that gay men as of late have become more promiscuous than they have in the past. Amongst the native population, the majority of patients diagnosed with HIV are MSM. MSM should be offered Prep, either for free or at a much cheaper cost (if they can afford it).

In order to reduce the spread of HIV in Ireland in conjunction with the allocation of Prep all non-EU (Americans, and Aussies aside) should be given rapid HIV tests upon entry to this country. If they are HIV positive they should be put on the next flight home. It is not our government's responsibility to treat Africa's HIV positive patients.

Disillusioned democrat

I think there's a bit of political hay making going on here.

PrEP will be available free - €1200 a year free medicine to anyone who qualifies as "at risk". It's yet another liberal friendly head line grabber that plays to the VS brigade, but is basically the tax payer funding a lifestyle choice while the government plays the poor mouth when it comes to other illnesses.

Last edited:

A Voice

Livingstone should be along soon to tell us that gay male-male sex is just as safe as male-female sex, that anal is just as safe as vaginal, that gay male sexual habits and behaviour are no different to those of straights, and that any pointing out of the facts and stats on the widely differing infection rates for both cohorts is homophobia.

MsDaisyC

I think there's a bit of political hay making going on here.

PrEP will be available free - €1200 a year free medicine to anyone who qualifies as "at risk". It's yet another liberal friendly head line grabber that plays to the VS brigade, but is basically the tax payer funding a lifestyle choice while it plays the poor mouth when it comes to other illnesses.

It's no different to statins and blood pressure drugs. People take them due to lifestyle choices too. Is it the sex issue that's bothering you?

Disillusioned democrat

It's no different to statins and blood pressure drugs. People take them due to lifestyle choices too. Is it the sex issue that's bothering you?
No, it's the free....

I'm not aware of any other medicine that's being distributed free for both medical card holders and not.

If I'm on statins and I don't have a medical card, I pay.

stopdoingstuff

Good point. I would say that the public treatment of any self-inflicted disease should carry some sort of tariff. It is irresponsible to ask others to pick up the full tab for one's lifestyle choices, whether that is smoking cigarettes or taking it up the marmite motorway in the Phoenix Park.

MsDaisyC

No, it's the free....

I'm not aware of any other medicine that's being distributed free for both medical card holders and not.

If I'm on statins and I don't have a medical card, I pay.
Smokers don't pay for chemo when they get cancer. Shouldn't they be charged for it because they deliberately got cancer through their own reckless, stupid actions?

Disillusioned democrat

Smokers don't pay for chemo when they get cancer. Shouldn't they be charged for it because they deliberately got cancer through their own reckless, stupid actions?
IMHO yes.

Some would argue that the massive duty they pay on tobacco is a "pre-payment", which holds some water.

Are you suggesting we put duty on gay sex?

Absolute rubbish. No matter what you eat you are very likely to get high blood pressure. You must be really young to think that just eating healthy will mean you never have to take heart medication.

Another thing is you have to eat to survive you don't have to have sex, the latter is hard in fact. One is a matter of survival, the other is something gratuitous. Also many people are too poor to afford to eat better.

"no different".... really "no different"? That's so offensive to all of the people who try to eat a healthy lifestyle but have to take a few medications to lump them in with those engaging in highly risky sexual activities.

stopdoingstuff

Yes. In my opinion this seems obvious.

Strawberry

Smokers are already charged for it through the amount of tax they pay on a packet of cigarettes.

Besides, chemo is not an apt comparison, people are already sick when they need chemo. A better comparison would be stuff like nicotine patches and vapers that people use to give up smoking. And yes, unless you have a medical card, you would have to pay for all those things.

MsDaisyC

Absolute rubbish. No matter what you eat you are very likely to get high blood pressure. You must be really young to think that just eating healthy will mean you never have to take heart medication.

Another thing is you have to eat to survive you don't have to have sex, the latter is hard in fact. One is a matter of survival, the other is something gratuitous. Also many people are too poor to afford to eat better.

"no different".... really "no different"? That's so offensive to all of the people who try to eat a healthy lifestyle but have to take a few medications to lump them in with those engaging in highly risky sexual activities.
And there it is. It's not about PrEP being available, it's about your aversion to quares doing the bumsex. Het couples do it up the bum too, you know. Women have HIV too, you know. And we all pay taxes, so smokers don't have any more right to free chemo than people with HIV have the right to free PrEP.

Last edited:

Popular Threads

Most Replies