President Boycotts New York St Patrick's Day Parade

johnfás

RTE News at One reporting that President McAleese has turned down an invitation to act as Grand Marshall to the New York St. Patrick's Day Parade next year. The date coincides with the final year of her Presidency and the 250th anniversary of the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Niall O'Dowd reporting that her reason for turning down the invitation relates to a ban on gay groups participating in the St Patrick's Day Parade in New York.

slx

She's right though. I honestly think that the president showing that we're not a 19th century backwater will do more for inward investment than just blindly accepting an invitation to an event that would discriminate against anyone.

Who is the organising committee and what gives them a right to decide that what they do represents all things Irish ?!

She's head of state and she has to represent all our citizens, including the gay ones!

former wesleyan

Nice one Pres ! Homophobic and sectarian marches shouldn't be supported by anyone.

johnfás

Yes I think it is a positive development. Apparently Bloomberg tried to broker a compromise whereby she would be Grand Marshall of a gay sponsored parade a few days before and then participate in the main parade but not as Grand Marshall. However, this didn't suit the President's scheduling.

Verhofstadt

Website
Don't piss off the Ancient Order of Hibernians.. they have powers beyond you wildest imagination.

meriwether

Why should homosexuals be allowed march in the parade?

Under what guise are they marching?

Why should anyone be allowed march in the parade - that is, what right does any or no particular group (including hetrosexual white males) have to march in the parade?

There is a recession on. We need US FDI. We need any and all efforts to sell the country there. McAleese's decision is ridiculous. The fact that Bloomberg got in on the act to facilitate this shows that there are people trying to help us, yet we persist in refusing to help ourselves.

There is no way that McAleese could have a diary entry that is more important than marching in the Homosexual march, which would have given her the fig leaf to marshal the big one.

But I presume she will be lighting a fukking candle or some such in the Aras to help the emigrants. Remember, she and the government went to China not so long ago looking for business. I wonder who treats their homosexuals worse - the Chinese, or the NY parade organisers?

Indulgent rubbish.

johndodger

RTE News at One reporting that President McAleese has turned down an invitation to act as Grand Marshall to the New York St. Patrick's Day Parade next year. The date coincides with the final year of her Presidency and the 250th anniversary of the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Niall O'Dowd reporting that her reason for turning down the invitation relates to a ban on gay groups participating in the St Patrick's Day Parade in New York.
Turning down an invitation is not the same as boycotting it. In any case she is quite right not to attend that biggotted and homophobic parade organised by the AOH.

johndodger

I remember reading that the US Courts ruled on the Gay Ban in the past.
I could be wrong but I think they found a way around it?

Because they're Irish and represent a part of Irish life and culture.

The question is, why should they not?

Being Irish

Why should anyone be allowed march in the parade - that is, what right does any or no particular group (including hetrosexual white males) have to march in the parade?
There is no ban, that I'm aware of, on hetrosexual groups parading.

There is a recession on. We need US FDI. We need any and all efforts to sell the country there. McAleese's decision is ridiculous. The fact that Bloomberg got in on the act to facilitate this shows that there are people trying to help us, yet we persist in refusing to help ourselves.
How will this affect FDI?

The fact that the parade is organised by the anti-Irish AOH is enough reason for the President not to take part.

There is no way that McAleese could have a diary entry that is more important than marching in the Homosexual march, which would have given her the fig leaf to marshal the big one.
How do you know? Do you know what's in her diary?

But I presume she will be lighting a fukking candle or some such in the Aras to help the emigrants.
What's wrong with that?

Remember, she and the government went to China not so long ago looking for business.
I though you were in favour of FDI?

I wonder who treats their homosexuals worse - the Chinese, or the NY parade organisers?
Undoubtedly the Chinese. Do you think we should stop foreign trade to and FDI from every country that has a poor human rights record?

Last edited:

pujols

But I presume she will be lighting a fukking candle or some such in the Aras to help the emigrants. Remember, she and the government went to China not so long ago looking for business. I wonder who treats their homosexuals worse - the Chinese, or the NY parade organisers?

Indulgent rubbish.
The President should be in Ireland on our national day.

fagen

Could this be the only good thing the out dated useless office has done in the last eight years Well lets make it the last and do away with this office of political hangers on for good and all

Iarmhi Gael

Fair play....

What is the terms of parading in the New York Parade. It is very hard to get into no matter whether you're straight as well.

I started a walking charity called the Belfast Ramblers Association just to get into Paddy's Day parades - BRA for short and called the company which ran the Charity BRA Holdings - Spent 2 days writing a brief to get into the New York Parade and they knocked us back. Philly accepted us and we had a good knees up there. But still looking to get into the New York one. Anyone who is interested in supporting BRA Holdings PM me

slx

Well, to me it just shows how diaspora groups, particularly those with very far back links, can become write disconnected from the country that they purport to have links to.

I really don't think the Ancient Order of Hibernians is any more representative of ireland than it is of New York.

Perhaps patricks day needs a new look in NY?

corelli

Why did she do something I entirely approve of just before she leaves. I am now going to have to temper my dislike of her!! DAMN!!!

New Threads

Most Replies