• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

President Higgins to Host a Seminar on Ethics.

Radix

The speakers today at an event in the National Convention Centre to mark the Bicentenary of the birth of Frederic Ozanam included President Higgins, Minister Joan Burton and Olivia O'Leary.

President Higgins' oration touched on themes of human dignity, unfettered greed within society, the legacy of individualism, the disconnect between economy, society and the person, and the need for ethics to inform all three.

Listening to him, I felt proud that I had voted for him, and can only wish him luck in his attempts to help Ireland turn a badly needed corner not based on fiscal concerns alone, but I did wonder if he will be listened to when he announced his intention to initiate a national conversation on the need for ethics to influence politics, the economy and society. I ask this at a time when members of his former political party Labour, together with their partners in FG, insist on the further penury of a people who have nothing left to give, solely to satisfy a system of governance which might spell the theme of his future seminar thus:

"Ethic$"

SilverSpurs

The speakers today at an event in the National Convention Centre to mark the Bicentenary of the birth of Frederic Ozanam included President Higgins, Minister Joan Burton and Olivia O'Leary.

President Higgins' oration touched on themes of human dignity, unfettered greed within society, the legacy of individualism, the disconnect between economy, society and the person, and the need for ethics to inform all three.

Listening to him, I felt proud that I had voted for him, and can only wish him luck in his attempts to help Ireland turn a badly needed corner not based on fiscal concerns alone, but I did wonder if he will be listened to when he announced his intention to initiate a national conversation on the need for ethics to influence politics, the economy and society. I ask this at a time when members of his former political party Labour, together with their partners in FG, insist on the further penury of a people who have nothing left to give, solely to satisfy a system of governance which might spell the theme of his future seminar thus:

"Ethic$"
Ethics??? What about people's right to choose???

mido

in the past week President Higgins has amply displayed why over one million were right to choose him to represent us not "Bagman" - I do expect the usual posters to be replying here with invalid election etc soon but as i posted elsewhere- he won - get over it

SilverSpurs

in the past week President Higgins has amply displayed why over one million were right to choose him to represent us not "Bagman" - I do expect the usual posters to be replying here with invalid election etc soon but as i posted elsewhere- he won - get over it
Michael D offers the usual leftist moonshine about a tax on someone else and makey uppey public sector jobs etc.

mido

Michael D offers the usual leftist moonshine about a tax on someone else and makey uppey public sector jobs etc.
indeed, the kinda moonshine that led us roaring into this bank based, property collapsing recession we now are in? need i remind you that when he was a minister he was part of the first government in the history of the state to leave a budget surplus on departure from office and a growing real economy ....not a fictional market one.

Radix

Ethics??? What about people's right to choose???

Well, I made an "ethical" decision not to "choose" to have a Mister Bean moment when I met the President today. :)

[video=youtube;XlDAcRdiI4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlDAcRdiI4A[/video]

Tea Party Patriot

Great, he should start with the topic of how tax is unethical because it is the theft of one man's labour to reward another's fecklessness. Oh and perhaps some of the unethical human rights abuses in Cuba and unethical terror attacks against Israel.

I think I have a nice agenda covered there for him.

richie268

As Such an important subject which it is I beg to know how much space RTE will give the issue?

Radix

As Such an important subject which it is I beg to know how much space RTE will give the issue?

Just checked the website there richie.

[video]http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0420/383509-svp-frederic-ozanam/[/video]

cricket

This continues the theme he had at the EP earlier this week. It's powerful, thought-provoking stuff, but I fear not enough people in the right places are listening.

Radix

This continues the theme he had at the EP earlier this week. It's powerful, thought-provoking stuff, but I fear not enough people in the right places are listening.

At a time of mass unemployment, massive poverty, and mass emigration, it is edifying to note that at least the leader of the labour party acknowledges 'the greatest civil rights issue of our time'!

I give you gay 'marriage'!

Gilmore: Gay marriage 'the civil rights issue of this generation' | Irish Examiner

eoghanacht

Great, he should start with the topic of how tax is unethical because it is the theft of one man's labour to reward another's fecklessness. Oh and perhaps some of the unethical human rights abuses in Cuba and unethical terror attacks against Israel.

I think I have a nice agenda covered there for him.
:lol:

Tea Party Patriot

One sincerely hopes that the above post is sarcasm at its very best. If it is not I fear for your economic sanity.

Mushroom

I wonder whether Mickey Twee thinks that it was ethical for his daughter Alice (and her 'companion') to jump the long waiting list of people hoping to view the sunrise at Newgrange on Winter Solstice?

im axeled

"Ethic$"
with unfetted greed amounst society, yeah ted, with five pensions awaiting, plus another one from his present gig, talking about puttine ones foot in it.