President Miriam O'Callaghan!!!

Hillmanhunter1

I'll admit that I may be somewhat out of the loop - having lived outside of Ireland for most of the past 10 years, but Miriam O'Callaghan for President - what gives?

She is a competent (but nothing more) presenter of current affairs programs and a cringe-inducing light entertainment presenter.

Why is the idea that she might be a candidate given credibility - can anybody help me out?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/miriam-dumps-chat-show-fuelling-speculation-she-will-run-for-the-ras-36739211.html

ruserious

She's always played a game above her talents. She married well.

paulp

I'll admit that I may be somewhat out of the loop - having lived outside of Ireland for most of the past 10 years, but Miriam O'Callaghan for President - what gives?

She is a competent (but nothing more) presenter of current affairs programs and a cringe-inducing light entertainment presenter.

Why is the idea that she might be a candidate given credibility - can anybody help me out?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/miriam-dumps-chat-show-fuelling-speculation-she-will-run-for-the-ras-36739211.html
Clickbait tabloid story

westie12

Could you imagine all the touchy-feelie hand squeezing and lip pursing she could subject the entire nation to for seven years?

"Cos I reeeally feel your pain! I really do!"

Heaven preserve us.
Genuinely!

Catalpast

Yep I can see her doing it all right

However no one outside the political or legal profession has ever done it yet

- mind you IRRC she was a solicitor way back in the distant past....

Catalpast

Could you imagine all the touchy-feelie hand squeezing and lip pursing she could subject the entire nation to for seven years?

Heaven preserve us.
That's what pressies do a lot of the time....

Northsideman

The wee lad wanted a re-coronation, maybe he'll back away if the is to be a real contest.

Imagine them shaking hands before and after the debate and her towering over him, that would make for great news photos.

Watcher2

Heaven preserve us.
Exactly. And for a job like the president, that, let's face it, doesn't require a huge level of skill, she would be even sh1t at that.

fifilawe

I am feeling nauseous just at the thought of it.
Quick find me "Nurse Noel" or get me a bucket ASAP

Deadlock

Heaven preserve us.
That post cries out both for more exclamation marks, and for like, some yoof upspeak?

I genuinely felt your restraint Toland, but sometimes you just need to release the beast.

NativeWildCat

We should get Kevin Sharkey in there.

Cruimh

It is a PR Job - she is attractive and intelligent* and well used to the mejia - she would be a fine candidate.

* Law degrees

Possible down sides - Her Brother is FF and she is on her second husband, which may not please some.....

Deadlock

I can't understand it at all.

She's not a particularly effective journalist, nor is she particularly convincing as an everywoman/everyman. She is a competent, attractive, well turned out media personality, and even in that role she aspires to and just about attains the insipid and anodyne. I recall that Gay Byrne was prevailed upon to temporarily run in the last election - being a similar cut from the same 'meedjah' cloth.

Maybe it's a rite of passage for the Montrose set?

Joe Duffy next time out?

New Threads

Most Replies