• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

President Obama's New Cabinet

President Bartlet

Now that President Obama has secured a second term, speculation has turned to the heavy turnover expected in his Cabinet. Names doing the round include the following:

State: OUT - Clinton
IN? Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice and National Security Adviser Tom Donilon

Treasury: OUT - Geithner
IN? White House chief of staff Jack Lew Erskine Bowles (due to work on the eponymous debt commission & former Clinton admin official)

Justice: OUT? - Holder?
IN? Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Rhode Island Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse.

Defense: OUT - Panetta?
IN: Former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Michele Flournoy and Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter. (Flournoy would be the first female Secretary of Defense ever)

Director of the CIA ???

meriwether

Conor Lenihan might be in line for a role. His successful current tenure in Moscow is nearing an end.

The cold war did not re-break out, and thats down to Conor's steady hand at the red tiller.

automaticforthepeople

IN? Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice and National Security Adviser Tom Donilon

Treasury: OUT - Geithner
IN? White House chief of staff Jack Lew Erskine Bowles (due to work on the eponymous debt commission & former Clinton admin official)
Would welcome Kerry as SOS but has Goldman SAchs approved the change at Treasury?

NYCKY

There is a vacancy at the Department of Commerce.

Also Norman Chu at the Department of Energy almost certain to be pushed.

Kathleen Sebelius at Health and Human Services likely to be kept to steer through the implementation of Obamacare.

meriwether

Jaysus I didn't know Conor was in Moscow - no wonder it has been so quiet
Did you ever see 'Police Academy: Misson to Moscow'?

A bunch of incompetent amateurs somehow end up in Moscow with hilarious consequences? Comical culture clashes, walking into doors, drunk on Vodka, etc?

Well, Conor Lenihan is nothing like that.

Mentalist Clientelist

Why does anyone in Ireland care who's in Obama's cabinet?

Sorry, but the wall to wall coverage of the US election grated on me more than usual. RTE's Morning Ireland and Matt Cooper's show were both there for a few days. Will they do the same when the German elections are held? They should, because they're infinitely more important.

kvran

Jon Huntsman has been mentioned. Former US ambassador to China, successful businessman and failed republican candidate for presidential election.

westernyelp

Why does anyone in Ireland care who's in Obama's cabinet?

Sorry, but the wall to wall coverage of the US election grated on me more than usual. RTE's Morning Ireland and Matt Cooper's show were both there for a few days. Will they do the same when the German elections are held? They should, because they're infinitely more important.
We like POLITICS. You may have strayed on to the wrong site.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Lenihan is indeed involved in a real life version of Police Academy: Mission to Moscow. I hope Mahony doesnt play to many pranks on him. It is amazing how far spoofery and the "rite" connections can get you.

A real life Idiot Abroad.

livingstone

I would expect to see more women appointed, which could tip the balance in favour of Michele Flournye in Defence (though I've also heard Chuck Hagel mentioned as a bit of a nod to bipartisanship, which could be especially useful if Obama is shepherding through divisive defence cuts.

I think Rice would be Obama's pick for State - firstly I think he'd want to keep a woman in such a senior position, and secondly I think he's quite loyal to her for getting hung out to dry on Libya. Also, appointing Kerry gives the GOP a potential pick-up in the Senate in 2014. The only problem is that Rice's confirmation could be tricky. I still think he'll take the risk.

I think it's Jack Lew for Treasury, with the NSA, Tom Donillon replacing him as Chief of Staff.

I think people we might see appointed could include Jennifer Granholm (former Michigan Governor, stumped for Obama a lot during the campaign), Ted Strickland (former Ohio Governor) and Deval Patrick (current Massachusetts Governor).

It will be interesting to see Obama's bipartisan tilt this time out. In 2008, he appointed Bob Gates as his most high profile Republican. I suspect Jon Huntsman could be in the running for a position, but I don't see him getting State - possibly Ambassador to the UN or Trade Representative?

I think Arne Duncan and Kathleen Sebelius will stay put. I would expect some changes at Commerce - possibly with the creation of some sort of 'super-Department' with a high profile pick from industry - Cheryl Sandberg from Facebook could be an option.

NYCKY

Jon Huntsman has been mentioned. Former US ambassador to China, successful businessman and failed republican candidate for presidential election.

Obama appointed him ambassador to China, a post he left to run against Obama. I can't see Obama being so nice again especially with a plum gig like the SoS.

Popular Threads

Most Replies