President Of Ireland - Do We Really Need One?

LeftOfCentre

Perhaps we should try to take the good parts from the American system.
As somebody has already pointed out maybe if we were directly electing a Taoiseach/President then we might want better candidates than what FF normally lumbers us with.

As for the Senate if it is not to be elected by the people then it should be abolished.
Do we want to be a modern democracy or not.
I think the Senate is quite ''intelligently Democratic''.

fergalr

1 - All states have a head of state.
2 - We need somebody to sign legislation into law.
3 - The Office of President functions admirably as Guardian of the Constitution. Just because not that many bills are referred to the Supreme Court doesn't mean they never are. Legislation carries a presumption of constitutionality until a successful challenge establishes otherwise.

swissoff

1 - All states have a head of state.
2 - We need somebody to sign legislation into law.
3 - The Office of President functions admirably as Guardian of the Constitution. Just because not that many bills are referred to the Supreme Court doesn't mean they never are. Legislation carries a presumption of constitutionality until a successful challenge establishes otherwise.
Just because something exists, does not make it perpetually acceptable or relevant to the state and the people. Sure we have a head of state because others do, but we could lead a new trend in shedding this redundant office and come up with a more efficient, cost effect and less pompous position. Our presidential office and its trappings resemble a mini-monarchy, and I find it embarrassing. We also cannot justify its cost when we cant staff hospitals and have difficulties meeting educational standards for our children, and I dont think it could really be justified even during boom times.
An alternative body of legal representatives could be elected, nominated or appointed in some way to sign legislation into law, let's face it, its a ceremonial formality.

That fine house could be turned into a day centre for special needs children, and given a 350k annual budget.
Or it could be turned into a historical museum attracting tourists and visitors and generating some sort of revenue

Either is better than giving some lucky, canny individual a free house and salary to live the life of some modern day Algernon Moncrieff

Normal Lord

No..
It looks like a PR job with a bit of ribbon cutting involved too. If I'm wrong on that I'll stand corrected.

GDPR

Why don't we amalgamate the office of President & Taoiseach?
Interesting. I wonder how a US style President with the Oireachtas becoming similar to Congress would suit us. A directly elected leader with real powers might be more accountable than the present hole filled sham e.g Cowen being unelected as Taoiseach and being unfit to be leader of FF but that same FF seeing him fit to be Taoiseach etc. Do any similar sized countries to Ireland have a similar set up to the US Presidential system ?

tallbacka

There are three options:
1) Either you have a ceremonial office as today, just as many other republics eg. Estonia, Germany, Italy.
2) President and Prime minister both have powers like Finland or France.
3) No separate head of state like the US

I think 1 or 3 are the best options because either you have a person who can 100% concentrate on the ceremonial/representative duties and be above the political bickering or you focus everything on one person.

fionnmccool, I believe all the south american countries have the same system as the US and some of them are Ireland-sized.

KingCash

It's a farcical drain on resources for such an unimportant role.

SaberTooth

President Of Ireland - Do We Really Need One?

In a word, No
Agree a big FAT NO Although us wee paddies are not the sharpest when it comes to matters of paying politicians and members of state for looking pretty. The celtic tiger madness is still alive and well Bless. Think of it, as a state we have to borrow 350K + very large expenses per year running into millions to fund a person to look pretty ? Ahh God bless wee Paddy :shock:

T

Toman13

Just a question....

Salary in the region of 350k pa plus Pension

The Cost of 'running the Office' - Travel, Accommodation etc I presume would run into the 100's of thouands+.

At the moment I have difficulty explaining the post to international friends, and usually use the analogy of an Elected Monarch?

Dev seemed to introduce this as a way of distinguishing us from the UK.... But is the office really necessary now?

Why don't we amalgamate the office of President & Taoiseach?

It might mean we have a little more pride in the people with elect into this role (swipe only aimed at FF! In fairness to May I think she's lovely!)
No way! We can have one person as head of state and Government. The position would be WAY too powerful. We need a President like a human needs a brain. Are you an eijit?

FakeViking

I'll certainly always remember McUseless for her reaction to Queenie's cupla focáil. You couldn't get better at a Traveller wedding when the Mammy watches the groom beat the sh1te out of the Best Man.

Warrior of Destiny

The President is an integral part of our Republic. While we're at it lets take the queen back as head of state.

Most Replies