• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Press freedom down across EU

Al.

The naïveté of Reporters Without Borders with respect to the EU is a little dated, especially with regards to expecting it to set civil liberties examples. (They don't know what the EU is yet, obviously.)

EUobserver
Press freedom in several European countries has eroded dramatically in the past year, particularly in Slovakia, Italy and Bulgaria, according to an annual index released on Tuesday (20 October) by NGO Reporters Without Borders. ...

"The impact of organised crime and the targeting of journalists account for the falls suffered by both Bulgaria and Italy, which got the worst ranking of the EU's six original founding members," notes the report.

"Silvio Berlusconi's harassment of the media, mafia violence against journalists who expose its activity and a bill that would drastically curb the media's ability to publish official phone tap transcripts explain why Italy fell for the second year running."

Journalists are still physically threatened in Italy and Spain, but also in EU candidate country Croatia, where the owner and marketing director of the weekly Nacional were killed by a bomb on 23 October 2008.

France fell eight points because of judicial investigations, arrests of journalists, raids on media and meddling by prominent politicians, including President Nicolas Sarkozy.

"It is disturbing to see European democracies such as France, Italy and Slovakia fall steadily in the rankings year after year," Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Jean-François Julliard said. "Europe should be setting an example as regards civil liberties. How can you condemn human rights violations abroad if you do not behave irreproachably at home?" ...

Last edited:

Peabod

Where are the rankings?

I would like to see how the oft-criticised Venezuelans come up against the UK, USA and Italy....

Clanrickard

Where are the rankings?

I would like to see how the oft-criticised Venezuelans come up against the UK, USA and Italy....
Chavez isn't criticised half enough. FYI Venezuela comes 124th, USA 20th. Happy?

Peabod

Reporters Sans Frontières

You might find some info on tha here
Cheers

I struggle to believe that though - U.S.A in 20th alongside the UK, when the States have freedom of speech and the UK doesn't. France in 43rd? Hardly a Carib island in the top 50? North Korea actually above someone (although I'm not too sure of anything about Eritrea other than its a good place to get kidknapped!)

Clanrickard

In fact the loopy left should have a good long gander at it as the top 30 or even more are all free market democracies. Commies and Islamists make up the bottom rungs of the ladder. It should tell its own tale but I doubt the loolas will care.

Peabod

In fact the loopy left should have a good long gander at it as the top 30 or even more are all free market democracies. Commies and Islamists make up the bottom rungs of the ladder. It should tell its own tale but I doubt the loolas will care.
Yup, it tells us that the vested interests in todays commercial press come out above actual reporting, especially when measured by an organisation that seems to take most of its income from commercial operation. When it comes to 'Commies', as Communism is based around regulation as protection, it's no surprise that these nations come out near the bottom (although please remember North Korea is no longer a Communist nation, by their own admission). Equally unsurprising is that the countries near the bottom tend to be those that have had floods of Western aid put into their economies, mainly as a destablilisation effort, as happened in Iran round the time of the election.

Al.

"Irland" is in joint top position. Man, I'd love to live in 'Irland'
You already are. (That's the spelling of "Ireland" in German. Wilkommen auf Bundesland Irland.)

Panopticon

There are some counter-intuitive results that seem to be based on the sentiments rather than the judgements of the media class which fills out the responses in each country. The USA has leapt from 30s to 20 - a result that can only be ascribed to journalists hating George W. Bush and loving Barack Obama.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
these press freedoms things are totally misconceived they report on press freedom from government interference which is important but then ignore private media monopolies.

all these without border groups are just capitalistic bodies nothing to do with democracy.

Rocky

Israel - that island of democracy in the middle east - is at 93

Lebanon, Kuwait and UAE beat it on press freedom. Interesting.
According to the website it's the first time Israel has not been top of the list of Middle East Countries.

From the website:

This is the first time that Israel (internal) is not at the head of the Middle Eastern countries in the press freedom index. By falling 47 places to 93rd position, it is now behind Kuwait (60th), United Arab Emirates (86th) and Lebanon (61st). Arrests of journalists (and not only foreign ones), their conviction and in some cases their deportation are the reasons for Israel’s nose-dive. Israel’s media are outspoken and investigate sensitive subjects thoroughly, but military censorship is still in force.
I'd imagine with Lebanon being a fairly decent democracy is has fairly good press freedom. UAE and Kuwait are interesting, but at the same time they aren't authoritarian dictatorships. Either way it's dissapointing for Israel as the position of the press is historically one of it's great strength.

Al.

Press freedom down across EU; soon to be out

Telegraph
A European Union report has urged tight press regulation and demanded that Brussels officials are given control of national media supervisors with new powers to enforce fines or the sacking of journalists. ...

A "high level" EU panel, that includes Latvia’s former president and a former German justice minister, was ordered by Neelie Kroes, European Commission vice-president, last year to report on "media freedom and pluralism". It has concluded that it is time to introduce new rules to rein in the press.

“All EU countries should have independent media councils,” the report concluded.

“Media councils should have real enforcement powers, such as the imposition of fines, orders for printed or broadcast apologies, or removal of journalistic status ...
Looks like they have the fires already stoked at the bottom of the "memory holes". There are already extant laws that forbid libel and suchlike, but such regulation of press freedom like this has nothing to do with any of that.

Analyzer

"Irland" is in joint top position. Man, I'd love to live in 'Irland'
Now, if Ireland is in top position, you know that this is a crock of sh!te.

I am reminded of the time that Anglo directors told Morgan Kelly to shut his mouth, and Independent News Media wantes nothing to do with him or his opinions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies