Press freedom - we beat the land of the free and the cradle of democracy

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Fourteenth! Still, take a bow, Ireland.

I'm one who grew up knowing my bags would be rummaged at Dún Laoghaire pier or on the platform at Amiens Street. That's lest I was in possession of something as subversive as a copy of Amateur Photographer or a work of James Joyce. As for a rubber johnnie ...

So, allow me to rejoice that Ireland is still ranked the fourteenth nation in the 2017 World Press Freedom Index. That's down five places from 2016, largely because:
The highly concentrated nature of media ownership in Ireland poses a major threat to press freedom. Independent News and Media (INM) controls 40% of the daily and Sunday newspaper market. The 1937 constitution guarantees media freedom but defamation lawsuits are common. Finally, interviewing police sources has been virtually impossible since the Garda Siochana Act of 2005, which bans police officers from talking to journalists without prior authorization. Officers contravening the ban risk dismissal, a fine, or up to seven years in prison.
To this Anglo-Irish, southern (erstwhile) prod, all that, somehow, feels small beer. Particularly so compared to the heavy hand of Archbishop John Charles McQuaid and Kevin O'Higgins's Censorship of Publications Act, 1929.

The United Kingdom is fortieth. Trump's land of the freebie and the former home of the braves is three places even lower.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Fourteenth! Still, take a bow, Ireland." </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

The Field Marshal

Irish press freedom ?

Little else but an excuse for ignorant malcontents to scribble bile and gossip and generally impede economic progress.

[The press freedom scale is useful in that it demonstrates

countries that are lowest on it have happier populations].

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

Yer man that's always complaining about the Irish media ain't gonna like this.

publicrealm

John Charles was complex - a great supporter if Patrick Kavanagh if i recall correctly.

Stentor

I'm one who grew up knowing my bags would be rummaged at Dún Laoghaire pier or on the platform at Amiens Street. That's lest I was in possession of something as subversive as a copy of Amateur Photographer or a work of James Joyce. As for a rubber johnnie ...

So, allow me to rejoice that Ireland is still ranked the fourteenth nation in the 2017 World Press Freedom Index. That's down five places from 2016, largely because:

To this Anglo-Irish, southern (erstwhile) prod, all that, somehow, feels small beer. Particularly so compared to the heavy hand of Archbishop John Charles McQuaid and Kevin O'Higgins's Censorship of Publications Act, 1929.

The United Kingdom is fortieth. Trump's land of the freebie and the former home of the braves is three places even lower.
Oh! My Irish brother. What a good OP.

Half Nelson

Fourteenth? With our monotone, one-sided reportage? With our bias, censorship and lack of balance? With a foreign body (NUJ) controlling our journalists?

Things are worse than I thought.

storybud1

Its a joke, it does not take into account the agenda that the media itself wants to promote, it is only about freedom of speech and access for the public.

Where are the real investigative journo's in this Country, who is reporting about the crazy judges giving light sentences, the waste of public money on terrible housing policies, etc,, it is just a D4 cosy cartel with the journo's in bed with their fellow players in the Dail .

DaveM

Reporters Without Borders have published their 2017 World Press Freedom Index.

As usual those smarmy teacher's pets the Scandinavians are begging for a right good wedgie and to have their lunch money taken as they hog the top four places and five of the top ten.

Ireland ranks at a respectable 14th place, all things redacted notwithstanding.

The UK languishes in 40th while the propensity of the US media to just make shít up to put down self starting go getters has them down at 43rd.

The Russians are making good progress at 148th. Good progress that is towards supplanting this year's champions North Korea. Where apparently everything is just so damn fabulous people are spontaneously crying in the street about it...

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

Trainwreck

Reporters Without Borders have published their 2017 World Press Freedom Index.

As usual those smarmy teacher's pets the Scandinavians are begging for a right good wedgie and to have their lunch money taken as they hog the top four places and five of the top ten.

Ireland ranks at a respectable 14th place, all things redacted notwithstanding.

The UK languishes in 40th while the propensity of the US media to just make shít up to put down self starting go getters has them down at 43rd.

The Russians are making good progress at 148th. Good progress that is towards supplanting this year's champions North Korea. Where apparently everything is just so damn fabulous people are spontaneously crying in the street about it...

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

Quick sniff test:

Sweden (#2 in global "press freedom"):

https://www.google.ie/search?q=sweden+press+censorship&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-IE:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&safe=active&gws_rd=cr&ei=omIIWbb2H8iRgAa9k73YCQ#spf=1

God save us from these ludicrous contrived "indexes" and "global ratings".

GDPR

In Ireland, journalists are free to write anything Denis O'Brien wants them to write.

GDPR

we have a crazy amount of media for such a small country. Still, that is an encouraging report.
We could have ten times the number of media outlets - but if they're all for mass immigration, the Euro, and Neo-Liberalism, what's the point?

eoghanacht

From the link.

Unhealthy concentration

The highly concentrated nature of media ownership in Ireland poses a major threat to press freedom. Independent News and Media (INM) controls 40% of the daily and Sunday newspaper market. The 1937 constitution guarantees media freedom but defamation lawsuits are common. Finally, interviewing police sources has been virtually impossible since the Garda Siochana Act of 2005, which bans police officers from talking to journalists without prior authorization. Officers contravening the ban risk dismissal, a fine, or up to seven years in prison.

Good but can do better is the gist.

GDPR

From the link.

Unhealthy concentration

Good but can do better is the gist.
And the trouble with that is we now have the never ending flow of "anonymous Garda sources," which seem to say anything that journalists want them to say.

Filibuster

That's some slide for ireland. We used to be very close to the top of this and at one stage actually did.

14 is frankly embarrassing!

Over concentration of media ownership and the heavy handed BAI rulings are probably playing into the slide.

It's the trend I watch on these things and ours has been downward.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies