Pressure on May for abortion reform in Northern Ireland

McSlaggart

death or glory

It sounds like you are advocating Direct Rule.
Bring it on, something needs to be done saying SF/IRA are refusing to bring back the Stormont assembly.

GDPR

A majority of Ulster folk in the Republic of Ireland voted against abortion on demand. The idea that abortion on demand by a majority of either tribe in Northern Ireland is just not true- cutting off your nose to spite the Free Presbyterians is madness which is what a lot of Tea Eggs are doing on this issue tragically.

The fact that a decent sized majority of the population of the Republic of Ireland voted for abortion on demand in the middle of a massive demographic crisis shows that as a State it is literally suicidal.

michael-mcivor

If May / Foster can not set up Stormont soon then it should be a referendum about abortion in the six then a same marriage referendum a Irish Language referendum a border change referendum etc- trust the people-

comet

A majority of Ulster folk in the Republic of Ireland voted against abortion on demand. The idea that abortion on demand by a majority of either tribe in Northern Ireland is just not true- cutting off your nose to spite the Free Presbyterians is madness which is what a lot of Tea Eggs are doing on this issue tragically.

The fact that a decent sized majority of the population of the Republic of Ireland voted for abortion on demand in the middle of a massive demographic crisis shows that as a State it is literally suicidal.
The majority of the people in Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal voted Yes.

belfast1981

So Republicans - Brits out of Ireland, No British rule on any part of Ireland

Also Republicans - British government, please legislate for us here in Ireland and rule for us since we can't/won't.

I'm not saying I disagree with the position, but it is a devolved matter. Just funny to see so many Republican's now calling for British rule on the matter today.

Strawberry

So Republicans - Brits out of Ireland, No British rule on any part of Ireland

Also Republicans - British government, please legislate for us here in Ireland and rule for us since we can't/won't.

I'm not saying I disagree with the position, but it is a devolved matter. Just funny to see so many Republican's now calling for British rule on the matter today.
Republicans aren't calling for that at all, its May's own backbenchers along with some members of the Labour party.

belfast1981

Republicans aren't calling for that at all, its May's own backbenchers along with some members of the Labour party.
Oh yes, I am aware of that, I'm talking more about those on Social media today supporting the calls for May to introduce it here, I had a chuckle at.

I'm having a boring Sunday, allow me my warped amusement for a few moments before normal service resumes.

Glaucon

Abortion in the South obviates the NI law. In the near future, women will be able to access abortion on demand within the first twelve weeks in Dundalk, Letterkenny and various other places near the border. At worst, women will have to travel to Dublin. Whether the law is changed or not, women will no longer have to travel to Great Britain to have the procedure carried out.

GDPR

The majority of the people in Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal voted Yes.
Only they didn't- the majority of people taking Ulster's three counties in the Republic of Ireland voted No. All the Ulster Prod residents I know in the South voted No as well, I know one particularly sweet Evangelical from County Derry who is particularly heart broken over the result. It is time for Ulster folk to contemplate an independent Nine County Ulster in order to wall ourselves for the suicidal insanity of much of the rest of these Isles and get over our co-dependent mutually destructive tribal antagonisms, also maybe ask the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, North Wales, Brittany and the Isle of Mann to join us. Let us protect what we hold dear in common as Celtic peoples rather than cutting off our nose to spite themuns.

Strawberry

Oh yes, I am aware of that, I'm talking more about those on Social media today supporting the calls for May to introduce it here, I had a chuckle at.

I'm having a boring Sunday, allow me my warped amusement for a few moments before normal service resumes.
By this time next year abortion services will be available in Letterkenny, Sligo, and Dundalk, so I don't think its going to matter too much to people in the North whether the Brits legalise it or not. It does seem to matter to British MPs though, I suspect they're beginning to see NI as a bit of an embarrassment.

Newrybhoy

Roman Catholicism dying before our very eyes. The glue that held Irish republicanism together evaporating.

comet

Only they didn't- the majority of people taking Ulster's three counties in the Republic of Ireland voted No. All the Ulster Prod residents I know in the South voted No as well, I know one particularly sweet Evangelical from County Derry who is particularly heart broken over the result. It is time for Ulster folk to contemplate an independent Nine County Ulster in order to wall ourselves for the suicidal insanity of much of the rest of these Isles and get over our co-dependent mutually destructive tribal antagonisms, also maybe ask the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, North Wales, Brittany and the Isle of Mann to join us. Let us protect what we hold dear in common as Celtic peoples rather than cutting off our nose to spite themuns.
Are you just counting the Protestants as " Ulster people "?

Mickeymac

By this time next year abortion services will be available in Letterkenny, Sligo, and Dundalk, so I don't think its going to matter too much to people in the North whether the Brits legalise it or not. It does seem to matter to British MPs though, I suspect they're beginning to see NI as a bit of an embarrassment.

Absolutely Strawbs and I would point out, I have yet to hear of any Irish Republican urging Brits to legislate for anything connected with the occupied zone, sounds to me the onions, together with Brit MP's are clearly rattled with the referendum which clearly leaves the sick counties looking like the backwoods of the Atlantic Isles.

McSlaggart

Roman Catholicism dying before our very eyes. The glue that held Irish republicanism together evaporating.
SF are now pushing for the same outcome in the North whilst the DUP are keeping the pro-life position. Unionism view of what Northern Ireland is getting increasingly out of touch with the modern world.

Newrybhoy

Absolutely Strawbs and I would point out, I have yet to hear of any Irish Republican urging Brits to legislate for anything connected with the occupied zone, sounds to me the onions, together with Brit MP's are clearly rattled with the referendum which clearly leaves the sick counties looking like the backwoods of the Atlantic Isles.
I didn't think you would have been an advocate of murdering unborn children Tommy.

But the I suppose your Provo heroes were happy enough to murder innocent people so why should unborn babies be a problem for you.

puffin

From personal experience, i can say terminations were available on societal or to put it bluntly suicidal grounds in the Black North, it was just a question of finding the right doctor, and connections

runwiththewind

You clearly don't understand republicanism. Ireland is a republic, its people are predominately republicans.

New Threads

Most Replies