Previous Recessions and Job Creation

alonso

First things first, I'm too young to really remember the 80's. I remember Dalglish winning the double, Live Aid, Josimar's goal against the Nordies and sh1te mullets alright, but the socio-economic stuff was beyond me.

I would like to pose a question to, or discuss an issue with, you older types. Today another company announced a shedload of jobs and a pretty big investment in Ireland. There are new jobs being announced quite regularly in many sectors (apart from house building) and this has been going on pretty much all the way through the recession. Of course I know redundancies are happening all over the shop, some massive, and the Live Register is still at records highs, albeit contracting slightly. But the key measure, numbers In Employment actually rose last quarter.

My questions are simple.

Did this happen in the early 1980's? Were jobs being created, while others were disappearing, during Ireland's previous incarnation as a basket cae?

Is this just a sign of impending labour market recovery or just a sign that a small number of large companies are expanding while a plethora of SMEs continue to disappear without trace?

Harmonica

I came out of college pre Tiger but post 80s and it took months to get job interview for decent job. Can't comment on the economics of the 80s.

Is this just a sign of impending labour market recovery or just a sign that a small number of large companies are expanding while a plethora of SMEs continue to disappear without trace?
I think its the later. Export industries are improving as world economies pick up and also some local opportunities. As I see it the problem is where all the construction employees will go. Also all those sector of the economy such as retail which expanded due to virtual full employment can't recover. Where will the new volume jobs come from?

Cael

People need to stop looking to Macjobs as a saviour, or any type of wage-slavery at all. It was pathetic hearing politicians today saying the suger industry couldnt be started again, as no foreign corporation was interested in doing it. We need a working state, a state that gets down to work, building real industries. For decades now Irish people have believed the lies that the state should stay out of enterprise and leave it to the privateers. Well, the privateers were given free reign - and they failed spectacularly. Now its time to get real. Private companies cannot save Ireland. Only the power of the whole people, working through the state, can do that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies