• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Price of Home Heating Oil 2012 - Republic V Northern Ireland

OneHundredPercent

In the north it costs £603 for 1000 litres of home heating oil working out at roughly €755 using XE.com

NI price source: Cheapest Oil - Price Trends

However, here in the Republic it is €911 for the same fill.

ROI price source: Home heating oil price trends for the Republic

Why are we paying €156 more for the same stuff?

I thought the Home Heating Oil taxes were harmonised between NI and ROI a few years back?

potholedogger

In the north it costs £603 for 1000 litres of home heating oil working out at roughly €755 using XE.com

NI price source: Cheapest Oil - Price Trends

However, here in the Republic it is €911 for the same fill.

ROI price source: Home heating oil price trends for the Republic

Why are we paying €156 more for the same stuff?

I thought the Home Heating Oil taxes were harmonised between NI and ROI a few years back?
You can buy 1000 litres of kerosene for €890

Cassandra Syndrome

Carbon Tax and higher VAT. Scams cost money.

culmore

Be carefull some of the home heat oil around the border is causing big problems with boilers, so cheap might be dear in long run, stick with the big companies for youe home heat oil.

Cassandra Syndrome

Fook Gormley and his "Carbon Tax"

Is it illegal to travel to NI to buy my home heating oil?
Shouldn't think so. I think there is free movement of goods between the UK and Ireland.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
This is why there is oil smuggling/diesel laundering... borders create these problems, and always will.. And no, it isn't illegal as far as I know to buy your home heating oil from the North, so long as you pay all taxes due on it.. free movement of goods and services and all that.. wouldn't be worth driving all the way to Tipp for me though.. more's the pity

Neutron

I wouldnt risk filling up with 1000 ltrs. Last year lots of people in my area were getting their oil stolen.

cabledude

Home heating oil is one issue that no longer bothers me. 2 years ago I installed a boiler stove that heats my water and all radiators. So based on that I call for the duty on Kerosene to be increased by 4000% :lol:

eddief

Cost of home heating

There's a new app for Android that tracks the cost of having home heating on. It's by an Irish developer and it's free.

Search the Google Play Store for "Home Heating Cost Calculator", it's the one with the Euro symbol.

I use it and find it handy.

valamhic

This is why there is oil smuggling/diesel laundering... borders create these problems, and always will.. And no, it isn't illegal as far as I know to buy your home heating oil from the North, so long as you pay all taxes due on it.. free movement of goods and services and all that.. wouldn't be worth driving all the way to Tipp for me though.. more's the pity
If you pay the taxes, you might as well buy it here

valamhic

Litre of Koro in NI 70 cent Litre in ROI 99 cent. All pensioners ib NI get 300 pound winter fuel allowance.

Good coal can be bought in NI @ 11 euros per 40 kg bag. This is what them Green crowd have done

Sister Mercedes

Because it restricts Fracking, Natural Gas is twice the price in Europe that it is in the US. So now American Coal, which cannot compete with NG in the US, is being shipped in large quantities to Europe, where power stations are switching from using Natural Gas to using Coal.

So we not only get Electricity Prices in Europe that are twice those of the US, we're also getting much more Coal Pollution too.

selfemployed

Because it restricts Fracking, Natural Gas is twice the price in Europe that it is in the US. So now American Coal, which cannot compete with NG in the US, is being shipped in large quantities to Europe, where power stations are switching from using Natural Gas to using Coal.

So we not only get Electricity Prices in Europe that are twice those of the US, we're also getting much more Coal Pollution too.
I'm not pretending I can afford any heating fuel being twice the cost but I certainly can't afford the cost of Fracking in Ireland.

We can get cheap Polish coal if we want it, of course it can't be used in Dublin smoke controlled areas.

You might be surprised at the number of N.I. retailers who will deliver "Down South".