Price rise in the pubs .. anyone notice? Oh and the 9% reduced VAT rate

robut

Its hard to find any links or articles on this on the interweb.

Apparently a few weeks back the breweries hiked the price of a pint by something like 4.5% ..

In time honoured tradition the Pubs then added there own chunk on top.

This price hike is only feeding through now as pubs deplete old stocks at the cheaper price and get in new stocks.

In my locals this has added 20 cent to the price of a pint ( 10c for the brewery and 10c for the publican I think ). So now we approach or go beyond the €5 for a pint. Lager has been more expensive than Stout. Pint of plain in my locals was €4.40, as of this week thats now €4.60. Lagers are hitting the €4.90 / €5 mark.

Not sure what you guys think, but a 20 cent hike percentage wise on a pint price is significant and quiet a large hike?

Will this deter more people from going to pubs that apparently were already under pressure? OR will most say Ah shur the Celtic Tiger is back, Whats 20 cent?

And then we arrive at this 9% reduced VAT rate for the hospitality industry payed for by the Private Pension Levy taken direct from peoples private pension pot as they try and fund ( in most cases ) there small private pension.

I think the pubs have this reduced 9% Vat rate? If so is it time to remove that? What is the reason for this reduced VAT rate for pubs if they are hiking prices as well? I thought they had that because people were allegedly price averse when it came to drinking in pubs? With this price increase maybe the breweries/pubs dont think this is the case anymore?

Of course if the VAT rate goes back up so will the pint price no doubt?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

robut

Price gouging.

4.5% increase excessive.

Boycott :)

I assume you are being flippant here Hammer and dont see a 20 cent increase on a pint as much concern because you probably can afford it. ( Apologies if I picked you up wrong however ).

Probably a different story in Dublin. Doing very well economically. So many wont notice this?

However in the rest of the country all I hear is pubs have been / are struggling and this price hike might push them further over the edge?

amsterdemmetje

Yae noticed it in my local on Sunday, same old same old.
There was a Yank tourist standing beside me who was clever enough to ask what price the cider was before he ordered .I was surprised to learn that a bottle of Stonewell Cider was €6.50 and Large Bottle of Bulmers was cheaper at €5.00 give a guess which one he went for.petunia

hammer

I assume you are being flippant here Hammer and dont see a 20 cent increase on a pint as much concern because you probably can afford it. ( Apologies if I picked you up wrong however ).

Probably a different story in Dublin. Doing very well economically. So many wont notice this?

However in the rest of the country all I hear is pubs have been / are struggling and this price hike might push them further over the edge?
I can afford it but I am not being flippant.

The only way to stop this gouging is to boycott the pub in question.

ShoutingIsLeadership

No idea, but the price of Dairygold butter spread thing, has jumped recently.

hammer

I also have older kids.

Them and their friends it seems have vodka and a few cans before they go out.

Pubs will be a think of the past within about 10 years.

Like Banks, post offices, butchers......

robut

Its not in A PUB .. this price hike is across the board for every pub in the country. So you will not be able to shop around, avoid it.

However it might not have fed through for many yet going through old stocks at the cheaper price. Its beginning to feed through now though in last week or so ..

hammer

Its not in A PUB .. this price hike is across the board for every pub in the country. However it might not have fed through for many yet going through old stocks at the cheaper price. Its beginning to feed through now though in last week or so ..
Boycott them all.

Or have one round less............their turnover will collapse....

McSlaggart

Apparently a few weeks back the breweries hiked the price of a pint by something like 4.5% ..
I can live the the price rise but not the speed at which they now clear away empty glasses with one barely has had a sip from. I am thinking of placing a mat over mine with a note saying "NOT FINISHED"....

amsterdemmetje

Yea right thats not easy when there all at it, Publicans like the Insurance company's riding the whole off everyone in the country and allowed to do so for decades by successive governments.

robut

I also have older kids.

Them and their friends it seems have vodka and a few cans before they go out.

Pubs will be a think of the past within about 10 years.

Like Banks, post offices, butchers......
Thats what I find bizaare Hammer. Pubs, by hiking prices like this, contribute to their own demise big time? Like lemmings over a cliff?

It seems the breweries hiked there prices to the pubs. The pubs could have just added that, but in all cases it seems they DOUBLED up and added what the brewery added PLUS added the same again for themselves ..

hammer

Yea right thats not easy when there all at it, Publicans like the Insurance company's riding the whole off everyone in the country and allowed to do so for decades by successive governments.
You need insurance. You dont need beer.

It might mean consumption might fall which would be fantastic.

BTW What is the Vat rate on Alcohol in Pubs ?

Was it 13.5% or 23%

robut

You need insurance. You dont need beer.

It might mean consumption might fall which would be fantastic.

BTW What is the Vat rate on Alcohol in Pubs ?

Was it 13.5% or 23%
As i said in the OP .. arent Pubs part of the hospitality industry so ALSO benefiting from the reduced VAT RATE of 9%, funded by that private pension levy on our private pensions?? .. which we wont see back BTW, gone forever

Last edited:

Civic_critic2

The price of a pint has to be a good example of current rentier economics surely? With all of our technological progress it surely must only cost a few cents to produce and even distribute a pint. The price of €4.50 or €5 when it gets to you has to be mainly made up of the cost of rent and government taxation, with a proportion related to price gouging.

Where anywhere in there is this a product related in any way to its cost of production? It is a focal point of social claims unrelated to any production price. Exploitation in other words. How is this serving the population?

hammer

As i said in the OP .. arent Pubs part of the hospitality industry so ALSO benefiting from the reduced VAT RATE of 9%, funded by that private pension levy on our private pensions??
They are but I`m not sure if it relates to alcohol.

Was it accommodation and food element ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies