• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Price rises everywhere. Are we back to Celtic Tiger days & beyond?

robut

Guys,

Have ye noticed? Prices of your monthly bills rising and not just by small bits either? Seems to be everywhere and with everything. Going north at pace.

Im sure many of ye got hit with the Eir / Eircom increases pushing Phone / Broadband to around €75 per month. Apparently caused by the wholesale outfit called Openeir who own the comms infrastructure. They ramped or are ramping wholesale prices that are being passed on to us, the end user.

I was reviewing my mobile plan tonight as I am out of contract / due an upgrade. With Vodafone on the RED Plan €55 per month, which is now replaced by RED Connect. If I upgrade my phone to anything I will be forced to Red Connect. All fine except it adds another €5 a month to the bill .. up to €60pm instead of current €55.

As an aside I was looking to upgrade my Samsung NOTE 3 to the New Note 7. With RED Connect plan that would set me back €299. However if I went to Red Connect super plan I could get the phone for €149 but the kick in the teeth .. that plan is €80 per month.

With Bord Gais for both Gas / Electricity. Apparently - you originally sign up for a 1 yr contract. After that they bump up your rate unless you ring & renew contract. This sounds similar to the recent debacle over the BIN PRICES that is held off for the moment.

Of course add property tax, water charges ( eventually ) and refuse collection to this lot, which no doubt will be going up soon after moritoriums?

Then you have the crazy car insurance costs.

Also include Health Insurance which is due to rise again in September I think. Im personally paying around €1400 per annum with VHI at the moment. Not lucky enough to have health paid for me and family by a company - work for myself

Also I am noticing appreciable price hikes in the weekly shopping costs, everything

Overall it looks like we are right back in Celtic Tigersville ver 2 where costs are concerned. Potentially we might outpace celtic tiger ver 1 when we did not have the USC, property tax or water charges.

Wages are not rising, nor are hourly rates for us in small business land ..

What gives guys? This is getting out of control in my opinion. Soon, unless you have a serious waged job, its going to be impossible to manage financially in this country for those in the middle down.

Im sure others can add other cost rises / new costs also? eg Child related costs etc

Last edited:

General Urko

One thing I'm predicting with Brexit and that is when it happens, despite the arse falling out of sterling the prices of British goods will rise sharply here, not because of any economic reason, just the sleeveen business class pulling the piss and getting away with it!

General Urko

The farce of the abolition of the 1 and 2 cent coins is purely designed to create inflation and could only be justified by increasing private sector wages across the board and SW payments by 5%!

robut

One thing I'm predicting with Brexit and that is when it happens, despite the arse falling out of sterling the prices of British goods will rise sharply here, not because of any economic reason, just the sleeveen business class pulling the piss and getting away with it!
We ARE treasure Island, dont you know. They know they can keep hiking prices and adding charges .. because we will just keep paying it seems.

SuirView

Guys,

Have ye noticed? Prices of your monthly bills rising and not just by small bits either? Seems to be everywhere and with everything. Going north at pace.

Im sure many of ye got hit with the Eir / Eircom increases pushing Phone / Broadband to around €75 per month. Apparently caused by the wholesale outfit called Openeir who own the comms infrastructure. They ramped or are ramping wholesale prices that are being passed on to us, the end user.

I was reviewing my mobile plan tonight as I am out of contract / due an upgrade. With Vodafone on the RED Plan €55 per month, which is now replaced by RED Connect. If I upgrade my phone to anything I will be forced to Red Connect. All fine except it adds another €5 a month to the bill .. up to €60pm instead of current €55.

As an aside I was looking to upgrade my Samsung NOTE 3 to the New Note 7. With RED Connect plan that would set me back €299. However if I went to Red Connect super plan I could get the phone for €149 but the kick in the teeth .. that plan is €80 per month.

With Bord Gais for both Gas / Electricity. Apparently - you originally sign up for a 1 yr contract. After that they bump up your rate unless you ring & renew contract. This sounds similar to the recent debacle over the BIN PRICES that is held off for the moment.

Of course add property tax, water charges ( eventually ) and refuse collection to this lot, which no doubt will be going up soon after moritoriums?

Then you have the crazy car insurance costs.

Also include Health Insurance which is due to rise again in September I think. Im personally paying around €1400 per annum with VHI at the moment. Not lucky enough to have health paid for me and family by a company - work for myself

Also I am noticing appreciable price hikes in the weekly shopping costs, everything

Overall it looks like we are right back in Celtic Tigersville ver 2 where costs are concerned. Potentially we might outpace celtic tiger ver 1 when we did not have the USC, property tax or water charges.

Wages are not rising, nor are hourly rates for us in small business land ..

What gives guys? This is getting out of control in my opinion. Soon, unless you have a serious waged job, its going to be impossible to manage financially in this country for those in the middle down.

Im sure others can add other cost rises / new costs also? eg Child related costs etc
Get on with it!
Get a better job.

ON THE ONE ROAD

Got charged over a tenner for a roll a coffee and admittedly some class of a fancy chocolate bar in a spar at lunch today.

If its that britexit thing is there any advantage to people who do such things to look for somewhere else to import from bedsides Britain.

robut

The farce of the abolition of the 1 and 2 cent coins is purely designed to create inflation and could only be justified by increasing private sector wages across the board and SW payments by 5%!
I want to know where these rounded 1 and 2 cents up to 5 cents that we dont get back are going at the shops? Do the stores declare it? Or is it a nice little outside the books cash stash?? Seriously adds up in large stores I imagine?

General Urko

We also have the supreme ass holism in raising the price of alcohol to a high per unit level, much higher than the Scottish one, when we already have the highest alcohol prices in Europe bar Norway!
The primary consequence of this will be that the families of insane alcoholics will suffer even more than at present because buying alcohol regardless of price will be the priority at bthe expense of all else!:mad:
Another huge consequence will be that alá CIE gobshytes seeking to maintain the wage gap with LUAS Gobshytes, Publicans will pull the piss by upping their prices, even though unaffected by the minimum pricing regime to maintain the gap with off licenses!:mad:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/196006-unintended-consequences-shorthalls-impending-prohibition-like-legislation-2.html#post10485345

Last edited:

General Urko

I want to know where these rounded 1 and 2 cents up to 5 cents that we dont get back are going at the shops? Do the stores declare it? Or is it a nice little outside the books cash stash?? Seriously adds up in large stores I imagine?
Did you notice the rounding never works to your advantage?

It's just serious abuse!

robut

Get on with it!
Get a better job.
Thanks for your inspiring, very inciteful observation there :D .. I will keep it in mnd .. see you later, I am off over to the Jobs Jobs Jobs thread now :D

Last edited:

cunnyfunt

Got charged over a tenner for a roll a coffee and admittedly some class of a fancy chocolate bar in a spar at lunch today.

If its that britexit thing is there any advantage to people who do such things to look for somewhere else to import from bedsides Britain.
fook all to do with Brexit me ole flower..... just hungry thieving bastids robbing you.....because they can

SuirView

If ye can't afford to pay, stay at home.

cunnyfunt

Thanks for your inpiring, very inciteful observation there :D .. I will keep it in mnd .. see you later, I am off over to the Jobs Jobs Jobs thread now :D
its as if his/her view comes straight from the sewer.......? ;)

General Urko

Essentially the rule jere is the opposite of Scandanavia - there you pay high prices and taxes but get superb returns, here in many cases you pay more and that money ends up in the arse pockets of the sleeveen business class (who also abuse their workers to the last!) and to pay apartheidal level of wages, perks and pensions of the insider public servant class!
We pay beyond Scandanavian prices for 4th world service!

SuirView

Must ... resist .... must ... not ... feed .... the .... troll .... :D
Why did you post what you posted?

Put your energies elsewhere.

ON THE ONE ROAD

fook all to do with Brexit me ole flower..... just hungry thieving bastids robbing you.....because they can
Its a factor but silly to dismiss the whole sterling falling thing. We important a lot from Britain it's going to be an issue.

We can't escape electronics unless we completely change our system but a good chunk of what we import Most of it is just the packaging, what ever its wrapped in but has something written in English on the package. Some smart bastard can figure out the point when its cheaper to import floor cleaner for example from Europe than from England.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies