'Priest banned from writing'

Mar Tweedy

Ooops! Apologies. I meant to return to answer this but forgot.

I am interested in it as a phenomena of human behaviour, but I do not think that the 'mystical' side has any grounding in reality. People have mystical experiences but they are simply a psychological event and do not correspond to anything in the material world - there is no mystical or spiritual reality independent of the human mind. As such, I reject it. It has no place in my thinking.

Mythical is different. Some contain grains of truth - folk memories of historical events. Others contain allegorical or metaphorical meanings, expressing something about the human condition. I am quite fond of myths and what they express.
No apology necessary, you don't have to answer, especially as this sort of stuff is a bit vague and bullsh*tty - thanks for the reply.

I pretty much agree except that the mystical and creativity/ some art (and some would say sexuality) seem to have some relationship with each other as sharing something as types of experiences. Ara, it's all interesting so long as its light-hearted and has no place in how we relate to each other as citizens except does that mean excluding art from that too I don't know. Churches are great public spaces, so if all that gets excluded do we not have any of that sort of space anymore. No more Gaudis etc.

I think I was having a flashback yesterday. I really don't believe in astrology as anything other than allegory, and I don't know what to do about public expressions of that part of our mind that coughs up absurdities.

Frankly, and I mean no disrespect to your good self, who cares? Considering that the really sexy stuff about him (rising from the dead etc.) is so much nonsense, what is left is really quite poor. Good aphorisms but little reasoning behind them. For ethical guidance from the ancient world one is better off going with the Greeks.
Ah Cato, I'm reading something about it and I wanted a row with someone. You spoilt it for me, you big.........bull you.

Cato

Ah Cato, I'm reading something about it and I wanted a row with someone. You spoilt it for me, you big.........bull you.
From a women I take that as a compliment!

White Horse

Imagine someone saying... ‘There’s nothing in itself wrong with being Irish... But that doesn’t mean you may act on it. So, no more Guinness, going to Croke Park, singing rebel songs into the early hours of the morning, waving Tricolours, no more craic.”

If the above trite analogy is typical of his theological reasoning, it is grounds in itself for "banning" him from writing.

corelli

Imagine someone saying... ‘There’s nothing in itself wrong with being Irish... But that doesn’t mean you may act on it. So, no more Guinness, going to Croke Park, singing rebel songs into the early hours of the morning, waving Tricolours, no more craic.”

If the above trite analogy is typical of his theological reasoning, it is grounds in itself for "banning" him from writing.
Is he actually a theologian?

fluffykontbiscuits

Question for you bible bashers and otherwise.

Where was Jesus for the first 30 years of his life?
Trying to grow his beard and chasing poor aul Mary Magdelene (she was from Ballyer they called her Magdo down the bicycle sheds petunia )!

SirHenryGrattan

Seems like a pretty level-headed guy that priest. The question is, of course, if he's all that smart, what is he doing in an outfit like the kiddy-fiddler church?:lol::lol::lol:
Simple answer. The Roman Catholic Priesthood is a gay profession and he is probably one of the 70%.

Cato

Simple answer. The Roman Catholic Priesthood is a gay profession and he is probably one of the 70%.
I don't think that the percentage is quite that high. More like 50%, I would think. Certainly there were plenty of fellow seminarians shagging girls while I was there.

ocoonassa

Where was Jesus for the first 30 years of his life?
Some say he went to India or Tibet and learned Jedi powers from the monks there. It's interesting that is age in the synoptic gospels is totally different to his age implied in John 8:57.

Old Mr Grouser

That's gratuitously nasty.Rev Fr O'Sulivan is a Capuchin priest, 'in good standing'; he is barred from publishing his writings, and the reasons for that are clear. He seems to be one of the 'We are the Church' faction, and on this occasion he stepped well over the line.

I wouldn't agree with his views, but he is still a respectable priest; an old man, I believe, and retired, though still saying Mass and preaching.

He's in the Association of Catholic Priests (ACP) who have said that this Vatican restriction on his future writings is “unwise” and “counterproductive”.

He has written in the Furrow previously - Where are the Priest-Prophets?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom