Priest placed on Administrative Leave

Cruimh

This was some meltdown....

Family kicked out of Catholic Church by priest during funeral

The Archdiocese of Washington has issued an apology to a family that was kicked out of a Maryland church by a Catholic priest during a funeral for a loved one.

Before a funeral Mass for 54-year-old Agnes Hicks at St Mary Catholic Church in Charlotte Hall last week, a guest knocked over and damaged the church’s chalice, angering Rev. Michael Briese.

The family says the chalice was knocked over when someone went in for a hug and accidentally bumped the cup near the altar, reports Fox 5.

“That's when all hell broke loose. He literally got on the mic and said, ‘there will be no funeral, there will be no mass, no repass, everyone get the hell out of my church,’" said Shanice Chisely, Agnes Hick’s daughter. “He disrespected our family, he disrespected my mother. He called my mother 'a thing.' He said, 'get this thing out of my church! Everyone get the hell out of my church!’ It was very sad. I’ve never seen anything like that before.”
Sounds as if this man had reached the end of his tether, poor devil

In a letter to the editor in The Enterprise, Briese apologized. He wrote: "I lost my temper at a moment when anger was the most inappropriate response to those people entrusted to my care at that moment of ministry.”

Archdiocese spokeswoman Chieko Noguchi said Briese had been working with the family in the days before the funeral to defray the burial costs.
The Maryland Independent reports that Briese has since been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
Sounds as if the poor man needs a lot more than "administrative leave".
I don't think I've ever heard anything as sad.

PAGE61

Everyone should be allowed a scream or two..though his timing was a smidgen off

publicrealm

I sympathise.

I often wonder how they manage not to strangle parishioners.

Maybe some do get strangled - which would be fair enough imo. Just a modest proportion though - less than 1% anyway - and there would need to be some reasonable limit per priest, naturally.

Lagertha

There is clearly more to the story than is being reported. It states that he was working with the family to make the funeral cheaper in the run up to that day and we only have the families version of events. Of course his actions were inappropriate but it would be interesting to hear the full story. I suspect the family will be suing over this, kerching.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Fur Q

You are a bit of a sado yourself, who clearly takes great pleasure in the failings of others.
The failings of Catholics. You won’t see him so quick to pick up on the misdeeds of Orangemen or loyalists

D

Deleted member 17573

Sounds like they're might have been drink involved. And I am not referring to either the priest or the deceased!

sadmal

I sympathise.

I often wonder how they manage not to strangle parishioners.

Maybe some do get strangled - which would be fair enough imo. Just a modest proportion though - less than 1% anyway - and there would need to be some reasonable limit per priest, naturally.
We had a priest in our parish who when he said the opening prayer and the congregation responded in a half hearted way would roar 'I'can't hear you so we'll start again'. He also insisted on a 'sacred silence' when people entered he church saying if they wanted to chat and gossip they could do it outside. Funny thing was most of the 'offenders' were the elderly not children or the young as you might think.

sadmal

The failings of Catholics. You won’t see him so quick to pick up on the misdeeds of Orangemen or loyalists
You're beginning to sound like Ratio - and she keeps some very odd company on this site.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Sounds like he had a bad day at work

No need for World headlines

If he'd cracked open the casket and munged the corpse...maybe

Cyp

former wesleyan

former wesleyan

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies